Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lunch was good, and then the day went bad.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by memmer
Ask yourself, if you were looking to buy your first Vette would you even consider buying this car even if the owner dropped the price?.I certainly would not.Most of us who were looking for a Vette wanted it to be pristine.My 2Cents
Fred
I guess I am different because yes, I would consider it, "if" the price was right. For some, mild body repairs is not a big deal if they have the skills to repair it themselves. Many people buy Vettes or other cars to fix them up. Some people buy Vettes that were deemed "totalled" so they could restore them. Others buy Vettes with blown motors. And although that is not in line with body work, a Vette with a blown motor is far from a Vette in pristine condition. If nobody ever bought a Corvette other than a Vette in "pristine" condition, I doubt there would be many transactions. And I am willing to bet there are plenty of Vette owners on this forum who's Corvette would be deemed less than pristine. But, I understand where you are coming from.

That being said, the REALITY here is - A 13-year Vette which was pretty much a daily driver, now has higher miles reflecting this, with tasteful modifications already done and now an unfortunate scrape in the hood that will be dealt with. Regardless - this Vette was never going to fall in the "pristine" category. Prior to the scrape, I assessed its overall condition fair to average.

Honestly, some just want and expect a "pristine" Corvette like you state, but most are unwilling to pay the premium pricing for such a Vette in such condition. If a Vette were in pristine condition, the next issue would be the age of the vehicle and availability of parts. It's always something. Many people just want something for free, or next to it.

If someone wants a pristine Corvette - I don't understand why they are looking at higher mileage daily drivers. A garage queen would be better suited for that search.

Either way - the scrape is what it is. Just something that has to be dealth with. At least my vette has a better accident avoidance record over the past 9 years than several C7s on the road today. Hahahaha

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 01-13-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
If it were me and I knew of a good shop I'd probably just have it fixed. I think the car will sell more quickly/easily without that kind of a blemish.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
DRAFT1
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Years ago I owned a '74 with a new custom paint job. A guy came walking into our business and asked who owned the Corvette across the street. I said me. It was backed into a parking spot. He told me he had backed into it with his chevy luv pick up. I asked if it was bad. He says no, but you will need to help me get his truck off of the car! His back bumper rode the front hump of the fender and had his rear wheels off of the ground. I'm telling you this in hope that if will make you feel better!

Last edited by DRAFT1; 01-13-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spell
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Add me to the list of folks who would document the damage in pictures and go ahead and get it fixed. I think you would lessen the people interested in your car if you didn't.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilMan02
If you repair the damage you'll assume you can sell the car for more. If you keep the money and sell the car as is your car will be reduced by the price it costs to repair it. Wouldn't this be the definition of a wash?
That kind of damage would reduce the value of the vehicle by more than it would cost to fix it.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Gentleman's handshake....integrity......

Yeah.....been screwed twice by that in collisions....
Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't just the cost of the repairs, it is the inconvienience of buying your Vette then having to do without it and deal with a repair shop. If you don't know a good shop to take it to, it could turn into a nightmare. If I were to buy it as is I would want it reduced more than the repair cost, just for the hastle of having to have it fixed. If you know of a good shop, I would get it fixed. JMO
Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
williamb81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome he left a note! Could have been so much worse like what happened to me for instance.....
Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
Years ago I owned a '74 with a new custom paint job. A guy came walking into our business and asked who owned the Corvette across the street. I said me. It was backed into a parking spot. He told me he had backed into it with his chevy luv pick up. I asked if it was bad. He says no, but you will need to help me get his truck off of the car! His back bumper rode the front hump of the fender and had his rear wheels off of the ground. I'm telling you this in hope that if will make you feel better!

Thanks for making my day brighter DRAFT. But sorry to hear your custom Vette was used as a loading dock back in '74.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Good luck with the repair.

Regards
Chip

Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM
40flier
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Ever see a car on a used car lot with the inevitable stone chips? We all know they can't be that perfect. It's as common as cleaning the engine compartment. Keep it of the carfax with a cash deal.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 AM
cmark84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say get it fixed. As a buyer, you may estimate the repairs but later find there is additional damage and the cost of repairs go higher.

I was once rear ended in a honda civic at less than 5mph. There was a small blemish on it and a slight indent. I was even able to push most of it out.

The shop estimated for a bumper cover/paint so the person that hit me gave me the cash for a new bumper cover and paint as shown in the estimate. Once the shop took it off, the brackets behind the bumper cover were damaged as well as other things. I actually saw them remove it so I knew they weren't out for extra $.

Ended up costing another $518 in repairs. Luckily the person footed the extra money and not have to deal with insurance.

Don't assume what a repair costs based on initial repair estimate. It can and usually will be much higher.

Quick Reply: Lunch was good, and then the day went bad.