C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perception C5 vs C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

ET, don't punch me in the face, but I disagree. When I first saw it in pictures I was "meh" attitude towards it. It wasn't until, like you, stopped at a set of lights. I then see a car turning left that took me a second to identify what it was. I was actually pleasantly surprised. It definitely has an expensive Euro look going on, but what really got my attention is the sound when it accelerated away. I suppose the fact that it was nice and sunny out and the car was clean made the body lines more clear. Really nice car. Don't get me wrong, I still love the C5 but the C7 seems like a good evolution and direction GM has taken....can't say the same for the camaro or mustang
Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always impressed when I see a C7. Looks like a Euro exotic to me and that is dead sexy. I love the FRC body style but I would take a C7 over it any day of the week.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreeess
Yup. we've seen it a dozen times. Add a malibu and an impala there too. They have the same general Chevy tail light shape.

I don't necessarily fault GM for trying to follow a corporate set of styling cues, so a Chevy can be identified as a Chevy. The problem I that I see is that on the C7 they did too many things. It's a mish mash of corporate styling pallette, evolution from C6, traditional Corvette, Euro... all rolled together and there is just too much happening here.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Bill:

I certainly hope you are feeling better. Always appreciate your contributions to CF and your willingness to share your knowledge/experience.

I am 48 years old and not someone who immediately gravitates to the latest and greatest anything, whether it is design or technology. I guess I am just a slow adopter from that perspective.

That said, I have liked the C7 since I first saw it. Back in October I had the chance to drive several of them, both loaded 7-spd models. I put about 400 miles on each, and they are AWESOME. Some of the latest greatest technology I could do without, but make no mistake, they are a fantastic car to drive.

I will say though, that for me, the darker colors look better than the lighter/brighter colors. I love silver on my C5 - don't care for it on the C7. But Night Race Blue or black or Cyber Gray...sign me up!

Just my .02...
Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreeess
aint it?!? and to think... that car is a 98
rick your car is timeless bro
Thanks!

I do like the C7, but it's never going to be the car my C5 is.

I even plan to get a used C7 Convertible in Red on Red in the coming years, but only after my sweet C5 coupe gets gingerly put away and retired from daily duty when I get older and not so addicted to power.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
The first time I saw a C5 I fell in love and have since owned 3, including my current one. Simple class, unstated elegance, and a projection of power.

The C7 is just ... busy. It just has way too much going on. I have a hard time focusing in on it and figuring out what it is because there is just too much happening.
My thoughts exactly. It's the simplicity and function that I like about the C5. It has about as much technology as I would ever want in a sports car. Nothing wrong with the technology of the new cars, but I prefer the basics and the C5 has the appeal of a sports car with just enough technology for decent performance, comfort, and fuel economy and is still fun to drive. Zuti
Old 01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Thanks!

I do like the C7, but it's never going to be the car my C5 is.

I even plan to get a used C7 Convertible in Red on Red in the coming years, but only after my sweet C5 coupe gets gingerly put away and retired from daily duty when I get older and not so addicted to power.
They've already gotten into the 9s with them. The power is available, if you want it and don't mind opening your wallet.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Remember that girl back in senior school...you know the one that you were not impressed with? Ya, the one you ended up married too! First impressions are not written in stone. Rob
Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

with the op's comments but I also like the new C7 and it's finally more of a world class sports car with it's interior and new gizmo's and electronics. But as stated the car does slip into traffic and blend with all the other cars, not pop out. My 04Z still gets thumbs up and yes nods whenever I drive it and I truly feel it's one of the nicest looking cars ever built. I'm torn on my future decision to buy a new one.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
vettestream
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been seeing more and more C7's as of late and I thinl they look quite good when clean and with the correct color choice.

I am not a fan of the high stance, but remember the C5 also came with a 4X4 stance (especially when compared to other sports cars of the time, like and E46 or a 996). In the case of both vehicles the high stance follows function, and in both cases the stance can be corrected to the users satisfaction.

I would love to see more pictures of lowered C7 with a proper set of wheels on it.... found these from some other threads, so far I think they look pretty good.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:24 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
The C7 is just ... busy. It just has way too much going on. I have a hard time focusing in on it and figuring out what it is because there is just too much happening.
I think that sums it up nicely. Way too many vents and openings and dowatchamijiggets.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have to admit, I like certain thing about the C-7 and if money was no object I would consider owning one, but I still have a hard time getting used to all the sharp angles on the car, I fell in love with the C5 the first time I saw one they are IMO one of the best looking Corvettes ever designed, there aren't many cars that can hide their age as well as they do.
Everyone involved with the design of the C5 definitely set the mark if you ask me.

And Yep, Ricks corvette is one stunning ride
Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

There were 14 shiny new C7's at the first Saturday Corvettes & Coffee at Corvette Performance in Scottsdale - a dozen coupes & 2 convertibles-143 Corvettes total. The C7's were parked right next to the C1's and 2's - - -quite a contrast as you can imagine - - the old and the new . . the way cool and the new cool.

They were in just about every color including the new Lime Rock Green. I sat in a beautiful cyber gray coupe belonging to a friend/club member - - -started it - - inhaled it. By all accounts, a beautiful car . . . great paint & panel fit; much nicer interior with great side bolsters .. incredible visual stimulation and inputs surround you.

Got out - - - nearby was an awesome `67 coupe that would probably bring the same money as most of the C7's and really wondered if different equated to better.

I enjoy my '02 and the dozen Corvettes before it - - but I'd have a tough time choosing if I couldn't have both !
Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

ET I hope you are felling better. It is no wonder it has a european look because this country is crazy for anything other then american. And even GM is willing to sell out for a buck. I myself do not care about the c7 because I am happy with mine, still after 16 years
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
As many know, I have been very sick and stay close to home. I was out yesterday and saw my first C7 ( crystal red) on the road. It was dirty from the harsh weather. Several things jumped out at me once I realized it was a C7. I was stopped at a light, and the C7 passed slowly in front of me from the right. it rolled along slowly from a start and made a left turn. I was not impressed because it took me a few seconds to realize it was a C7. it blended in so well with the other cars around it. The thing that jumped out to me was the fact that it did NOT jump out at me.
It sat high to the ground like the other cars and SUV's around it. I think the car is nice but the stance of the car, stock, is Ho Hum for the 70K it demands. Most of the C5 I notice, I notice from 100 yards a way, because of their stance. The design of the C7 is much more Euro than it is American muscle or American sports car. I was turned off a bit by the slightly dirty, ( didn't like the color )high stanced Corvette.
While the interior of the C7 is Euro looking it is visually pleasing to my eye. Its definitely not an American Hot rod.
I would like to think that from my design background in Corvette styling that I can see better than most. But my age may skew my 60 year love affair with the corvette. This Corvette is not my idea of the Corvette Icon of the past. Even the C6 took away( a step down ) from what I thought was the best designed corvette Ever, the C5. Although the wide body c6 Z06 and Grand sport are much better than the standard C6. I would never consider a standard C6. Anyway I was not impressed with what I saw on the road yesterday. But a lowered C5 always turns my head clean or dirty. I rarely post a thread like this. IM wondering if the 25 to 49 demographic likes the new C7 design. I'm sure GM thinks they do.
Bill aka ET
Still looking to see my first lowered C7.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm 67 but would rather have a C6 than a C7. C6 still says CORVETTE
Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Bill/E.T. I want to thank every one of YOU who made this dream machine a reality!!!

They HAVE to buy C7's....there isn't enough C5's to go around for everyone. It's been refined so much to resemble all it's other competitors....there's virtually a seamless flow from Celica to the Aztec. Which is basically how it was conceived and built by those involved with it's design. LOL.

From a Designers viewpoint if all Engineers and Designers built a car with the best attributes of all vehicles....they end up looking the same no matter which team did it. The cars in the C7 market basically all resemble each other(Viper, yada, yada, yada).

NO MISTAKING THIS.....

Your car is a masterpiece

Get notified of new replies

To Perception C5 vs C7

Old 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

C7 is a home run. IMO. A C7 looks like a straight up exotic on the road and there is no mistaking it for anything else. They do look ugly with the 4x4 look though, They definitely need to be lowered. Just like a 4x4 C5 looks ugly, That low sleek look cant have massive amounts of wheel gap. Completely takes away from the car.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM
casey007
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
As many know, I have been very sick and stay close to home. I was out yesterday and saw my first C7 ( crystal red) on the road. It was dirty from the harsh weather. Several things jumped out at me once I realized it was a C7. I was stopped at a light, and the C7 passed slowly in front of me from the right. it rolled along slowly from a start and made a left turn. I was not impressed because it took me a few seconds to realize it was a C7. it blended in so well with the other cars around it. The thing that jumped out to me was the fact that it did NOT jump out at me.
It sat high to the ground like the other cars and SUV's around it. I think the car is nice but the stance of the car, stock, is Ho Hum for the 70K it demands. Most of the C5 I notice, I notice from 100 yards a way, because of their stance. The design of the C7 is much more Euro than it is American muscle or American sports car. I was turned off a bit by the slightly dirty, ( didn't like the color )high stanced Corvette.
While the interior of the C7 is Euro looking it is visually pleasing to my eye. Its definitely not an American Hot rod.
I would like to think that from my design background in Corvette styling that I can see better than most. But my age may skew my 60 year love affair with the corvette. This Corvette is not my idea of the Corvette Icon of the past. Even the C6 took away( a step down ) from what I thought was the best designed corvette Ever, the C5. Although the wide body c6 Z06 and Grand sport are much better than the standard C6. I would never consider a standard C6. Anyway I was not impressed with what I saw on the road yesterday. But a lowered C5 always turns my head clean or dirty. I rarely post a thread like this. IM wondering if the 25 to 49 demographic likes the new C7 design. I'm sure GM thinks they do.
Bill aka ET
Still looking to see my first lowered C7.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I hope you will feel better real soon and agree with you. The C7 exterior just doesn't do it for me, to each his own.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just me I guess, but I'm not seeing the high stance thing ...

Quick Reply: Perception C5 vs C7