Sponsored by:

Run Flats and OEM

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Arodman
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Run Flats and OEM

I was in a Firestone store having a battery installed in another car, I asked about run flats vs other tires for my recently perchased 98 vette.. The Mgr stated that while he would sell me any performance tire I requested, he stated that the Supension system on my 98 vette was specifically made for run flats and thats what I should have on my car. Currently I have VREDESTEIN tires which I really like so far, however when I need to replace them they are costly. I would assume that there are about 50-50 mix of those who perfer run flats / other tires.

I like handling as much as the other guy, I have no plans go to a track to race. I have never hear about the suspension system and tires '

any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

I like to stay with the run flats that is my preference. A safety issue with my. The goodyears were designed for the c5. But there are better tires out there.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Arodman
Instructor

My thoughts exactly, probably wouldnt go with the GoodYears but some other tire, looking for feedback on other tires (Runflats)
my perferance is performance of course but wear and noise and ride are more over riding factors
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

I suppose you could mold his words around enough for it to be correct. The suspension and the tires were designed to work together, certainly. But to say that you'd get a decrease in performance or experience safety issues if you went to a non run flat is wrong.

FWIW I think all run flats are terrible and I will never run them on my car. Tires are the biggest make or break component on your car (again, my opinion).
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Arodman
My thoughts exactly, probably wouldnt go with the GoodYears but some other tire, looking for feedback on other tires (Runflats)
my perferance is performance of course but wear and noise and ride are more over riding factors
Run flat tires and performance do not go well together. I got rid of my GY run flats and replaced them with non-run flat tires. The decrease in noise and the vast improvement in handling and performance was well worth the change. I'll never go back to run flat tires again.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

A non-run-flat can most certainly create a safety issue if it leaves you on the side of the road. Performance wise I do not plan to take my car to the track other wise my michelin pilot sports a/s plus run-flats are one of the best tires you can put on your car. If you base you opinion on G. Y. run flats you should try a different brand. The handling is like day and night.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 01-06-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

I got rid of the OEM Goodyear run flats at around 20,000 miles & went w/Michelin's run flats & am very happy w/them. I wonder if the tire shop fellow was trying to upgrade a possilbe sale?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:28 AM
hougland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
A non-run-flat can most certainly create a safety issue if it leaves you on the side of the road. Performance wise I do not plan to take my car to the track other wise my michelin pilot sports a/s plus run-flats are one of the best tires you can put on your car. If you base you opinion on G. Y. run flats you should try a different brand. The handling is like day and night.
I agree Frank, I run the Pilot Sport A/S and find it to be very quiet and well performing. I work for a Tire and Auto Repair facility and had a wide variety of tires available but chose the Michelin over all the others. Like you, I run the Run Flats for safety sakes.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:19 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just keep buying GY runflats as I take trips in the C5 and trying to plug a tire on the side of the road isn't something that I want to try.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I just keep buying GY runflats as I take trips in the C5 and trying to plug a tire on the side of the road isn't something that I want to try.
You don't need to plug the tire. All you need is enough air to get you to the nearest shop to get it fixed. I carry a cig-lighter air compressor with me in case I get a flat.

There are two types of flats:

1. The type that can be repaired.

2. They type that can't be repaired.

The first is covered by the air compressor; the second will require a tow truck whether you have run flats or not.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 01-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always put Michelin runflats on the 99 coupe for the wife. I was amazed at how much better the ride was in my 02Z compared with the 99. I just replaced the rear tires with Michelin PS3. WOW! what a difference in ride. It no longer beats the crap out of you going over small bumps like the runflats do. She was so happy with the ride, still with the runflats on the front, that she doesn't want runflats back on the car again.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You don't need to plug the tire. All you need is enough air to get you to the nearest shop to get it fixed. I carry a cig-lighter air compressor with me in case I get a flat.

There are two types of flats:

1. The type that can be repaired.

2. They type that can't be repaired.

The first is covered by the air compressor; the second will require a tow truck whether you have run flats or not.
The second isn't completely true with run flats. if you have something in the sidewall of a run flat it can't be fixed .. but ... you still can drive on it unless the whole sidewall is torn off. But a typical nail / screw / whatever in the sidewall will still let you drive on it for 50 - 100 miles until you can get it replaced.
That's why I prefer run flats for 'normal fun / pleasure' driving like I do - safety so not to get stranded even with AAA towing!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I ran only Goodyear runflats on my C6 for 5 years and thought they rode hard and were terrible as weather got colder (cold in Arizona being a relative thing . . .) I rode with friends that had non-runflats and thought their cars were quieter and didn't thump quite as much going over expansion strips on the road.

My C5 had Nitto 555's that road much better . . . but when they needed to be replaced, I went with Michelin runflats . . . better than Goodyears IMO, with the added security of a runflat.

There's my .02 - - good luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
The second isn't completely true with run flats. if you have something in the sidewall of a run flat it can't be fixed .. but ... you still can drive on it unless the whole sidewall is torn off. But a typical nail / screw / whatever in the sidewall will still let you drive on it for 50 - 100 miles until you can get it replaced.
That's why I prefer run flats for 'normal fun / pleasure' driving like I do - safety so not to get stranded even with AAA towing!
I was thinking more of the blowout type of flat for the second. In over 30 years of driving I have never had anything stuck in the sidewall nor known of anyone who has. I realize it happens, but it is extremely rare in my experience and not worth the horrible ride, noise, and loss of performance I got from run flats.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by hougland
I agree Frank, I run the Pilot Sport A/S and find it to be very quiet and well performing. I work for a Tire and Auto Repair facility and had a wide variety of tires available but chose the Michelin over all the others. Like you, I run the Run Flats for safety sakes.

Michelin A/S ZPs for me, the PS2s are fine for warm weather
Old 01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Arodman
Instructor

thanks for your responses I was pretty sure of it but wanted your guys thoughts. the mgr has worked with me before on my Saab, and has done well with the work and price, but when he stated that the C-5 suspension was designed for runflats specifically that sounded odd to me, even though that is OEM. GY are probably a No, the place I take my car to is Firestone, he reccommended I think was Bridgestone Run flats he really talked them up even said that they would store my current tires for a month and if I wanted the originals back they would put them back on or I could buy non run flats from them no problems. I thought that was good.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 AS/ZPs better ride low noise super handling

Bought the C5 used with new OEM GY runflats. It is a vert so I expected some noise. Was coming back from shopping and it started snowing, Only about 1/4" on the roads. Was on a straight section of a 6 lane divided highway doing about 50 MPH. Car started performing like a snowboard or luge and I almost went into the median or the shoulder.. Drove about 30 MPH the rest of the way home. Didn't go near snow for the rest of the tire life. Put Michelin PS2 AS/ZPs on the car in the spring. WAS A DIFFERENT CAR!!!!! Noise dropped significantly and handling was much better. Although the PS2s are rated ALL SEASON and ZERO PRESSURE found that in snow and ice they aren't perfect but a hell of a sight better than the OEM GY summer tires. For all around use and comfort go with the PS2s. Have seen the reports on the PS3s which are not runflats and find the jury out on their overall performance. BIGHANK

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flats and OEM

Old 01-08-2014, 09:40 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a set of mich run flats on my vette yesterday and my vette rides awesome I was very impressed !
Old 01-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,227 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This topic has plenty of supporters on both sides of the issue. If you like the runflats, then by all means keep them on the car. They do provide an extra measure of safety should the hopefully occasional tire puncture occur. I have been running non-runflats on my '03 for over three years now (replaced the OEM GY runflats) and am very happy with the performance and low road noise. I choose to take the chance that I won't have a flat (haven't had one in better than 10 years) and should I have one, I have a plug kit, air compressor, cell phone and emergency road service on my auto insurance policy.

I will say that from what I have read, the Michelin runflats are way better than the Goodyears and if I decided to go back with runflats, those would be my choice.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3 On my 01. Replaced the GY R/F's cause they 1) were worn, 2) Felt like I was driving my head out of the window hearing the tires. The change and taking the chance to run Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3 Non R/F made a difference in noise and even in handling in wet roads, Cant answer for snow cause neither my 87 or 01 will ever see the white stuff.

Quick Reply: Run Flats and OEM