Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 1999 with high miles worth the risk? (first vette...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

depends on overall condition of the car

it's in the right price range though
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
As others have said, if the maintenance has been done and the car checks out, that's not a bad price on the car. One thing to keep in mind is that there were a lot of improvements made to the C5 starting in 2001 so spending a little more money may not be a bad deal if you want to take advantage of those updates. Not saying there is anything wrong with the per-01 cars, just something to consider.

There ya go, best advice.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I was looking at 01+ only. I drove nearly 4 hours to buy my 01 with 70k. If it has what you like, I would get it.

My list of musts was short. But this is a good time of year to buy and there should be a few in a 300 mile radius of you worth getting.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM
alfredz
Cruising

Originally Posted by big_g_hall
I need your expert opinions on this, since it is my first vette (though I had a 99 Trans Am previously), and it is higher mileage than I usually buy. Seller seems honest, he has owned it for 2 year and only 5k miles (it sits in his garage). He says oil pressure gauge is not working (it's all the way to the right), and has been like that since he bought it from a lady. Otherwise it is in great-looking shape. Car has been in Washington and Arizona only, several years in each. Carfax shows that when he bought it he had it thoroughly inspected, with all fluids and spark plugs changed. 1999 Torch Red coupe, 108k miles, he'll take $10,500 for it.

1) Is this a good deal? (I think it is...) Or am I asking for trouble at 108thousand miles? It will be my DD, 50 miles a day, 45 of them on the highway. Nothing crazy, just want a fun, nice, cool car to commute in.

2) The pre-2001 EBCM issue.
A) If it dies, can I still pass emissions here in AZ? (A CEL is an automatic fail). Like, can I get the CEL (or SES?) light, if any, tuned out?
B) I have my totalled 99 T/A in the yard with a perfect LS1 in it. Can I pull the EBCM out of it and keep it as a spare for my C5? (I'm parting the T/A out). Seems like a 99 LS1 is a 99 LS1, no?

I'm planning to drive 2.5 hours each way to go check it out this week, and was hoping for some input beforehand. Thanks!
I bought a 2000 with 165k miles almost three years ago; best car ever.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
big_g_hall
Intermediate

Car appears to be in great shape. My only worry is the potential for a EBCM failure. So I called AZ Emissions HQ and they said if it throws any P* codes then I fail emissions and can literally never again register the car in AZ. (i.e. I'm hosed) C* codes are ok, at least that is what they told me...

Two questions I have not found answered anywhere (maybe I should start a new thread for this?)

1) Can anyone tell me if there is any remote possibilty of a bad EBCM causing a P* code that can only be fixed by replacing the EBCM??

2) If so, can I simply tune out the P* code??

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if you fail emisions you have to get rid of your car or move? What about fixing the problem? That is crazy, cars fail emissions all the time, that is why they test them. I can't imagine how the break/traction control system could possibly have anything to do with emissions. I don't live in Az. but I sure don't see how they could say you can't repair and retest the car ever again and register it. So glad I don't live in a state that tests for emissions as my car would never pass with the mods I have had done to it. lol I wouldn't give up, just do your homework. Bought my 99 back in 05 and have never regretted it. It is my wife's DD and she loves it and when I asked if she wanted to trade it on a C6 she wanted no part of giving up her Vette. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:01 PM
big_g_hall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lt. Dan M.
So if you fail emisions you have to get rid of your car or move? What about fixing the problem? That is crazy, cars fail emissions all the time, that is why they test them. I can't imagine how the break/traction control system could possibly have anything to do with emissions. I don't live in Az. but I sure don't see how they could say you can't repair and retest the car ever again and register it. So glad I don't live in a state that tests for emissions as my car would never pass with the mods I have had done to it. lol I wouldn't give up, just do your homework. Bought my 99 back in 05 and have never regretted it. It is my wife's DD and she loves it and when I asked if she wanted to trade it on a C6 she wanted no part of giving up her Vette. Good luck.
Yep, I called and talked to the Emissions tech directly. I said "so if it throws a P* code, and even if there is no replacement, I can never-ever register my car again?", and he said "nope, not in Pima County (Tucson) or Maricopa Country (Phoenix)". So yes, my car would in essence be totalled unless I moved. Weak, huh?
I may just gamble on it anyways.
Just curous, how many miles have you put on your 99, and what major issues have you had?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I called and talked to the Emissions tech directly. I said "so if it throws a P* code, and even if there is no replacement, I can never-ever register my car again?", and he said "nope, not in Pima County (Tucson) or Maricopa Country (Phoenix)". So yes, my car would in essence be totalled unless I moved. Weak, huh?
I may just gamble on it anyways.
Just curous, how many miles have you put on your 99, and what major issues have you had?
Car had 34K on it when I bought it, now has 70K. Never had any major issues with it. The oil sending unit just went out, but as I am planing to put the intake from my 02Z on it, I will change it out then. Also have headers and X pipe with high flow cats to put on it. Never had any issue with the EBCM, but just fixed the EBCM in my Z.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 AM
big_g_hall
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
BTW, if you're really worried about the pre-'01 EBCM issue then buy newer.
Just wanted to tell all of you thanks for your input!!!

In the end, Chilliwack is right; I don't think I want to spend my time in my first vette worrying about seeing a silly little light come on, even with as slim a chance as it may be. So I think I might just wait a bit longer for something "better" to come along, even though this car is still at a great price IMO. If I find nothing and this car is still for sale, then maybe it was meant to be...

You all rock and now I want to get a vette just to be an "official" member of this awesome forum!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM
big_g_hall
Intermediate

One last question (for now...), if I were to look at a 97-00 C5, what should I check to make sure there are no current EBCM issues with the car? (i.e. how might a dishonest seller try to hide the issue? And how would I thwart his attempt?)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

drive the car for half an hour, then plug into a scan tool, or, pull the codes on the DIC

i still think something is weird about what that guy told you. either he was just screwing with you or i'm not sure what. i would contact your state dmv and check on that
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One last question (for now...), if I were to look at a 97-00 C5, what should I check to make sure there are no current EBCM issues with the car? (i.e. how might a dishonest seller try to hide the issue? And how would I thwart his attempt?)
Pulling the codes will tell you if anything is awry. If the previous owners have tuned anything out you really won't know unless you bring it to a shop that can check if the original tune is intact. Being an original bonestock car I would highly doubt that anything has been changed.

Quite honestly I wouldn't worry so much about the ebcm. Many of us pre 01's are doing just fine. For the price I wouldn't hesitate about buying it.

For peace of mind try contacting a performance shop on here and ask them about what can be tuned out if you ever have a ebcm failure and what they can do to keep you good with emissions.

I have a custom tune for my 99 which has a cam, longtube headers and numerous other goodies and I have never had a problem passing emissions. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM
C5Luv'R
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you buy this 1999?

I have a 1999 coupe that I bought with 28k miles in 2003. It now has 92k and is my DD from April until November. Besides being a BLAST to drive, it has been very trouble free. My only non-wear items have been:
  • Leaky rear diff (36k miles, common early in life on pre-2000 C5s)
  • Steering Column Lock (48k miles, common on early C5)
  • Air inlet temp sensor connector (71k miles)
  • AC line came loose at compressor (73K miles)
  • Oil pressure sender (73k miles)
  • Accessory belts, idlers & tensioner (85k miles)
  • AC vacuum line came off at intake manifold (88k miles)
No EBCM issues: I change the brake fluid every 3 years, for that what is worth. I also change the manual transmission & rear diff fluids every 40k. The most expensive maintenance item is tires. I plan to drive mine at least to 200k!

Last edited by C5Luv'R; 03-31-2014 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Spelling correction + More Information
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 AM
Bailout13500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EBCM does not fail inspection in Texas. AZ I cannot comment. loved my 99 vert but had a bad EBCM, the oile sending unit can be done easily without pulling intake...see you tube..

Has anyone mentioned the squeak? with those miles drive it a good way and see if you hear a chirp from the balancer, check the rear minify you can get that far user it.

Heck 10k is a lot of money sure......but still leaves plenty of room to play with the car.

my 99 vert with 114k brought 19k when totaled by the insurance company. just fyi

Quick Reply: Is a 1999 with high miles worth the risk? (first vette...)