Sponsored by:

Will C7 Kill Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Rice burner is racist? My wife is Asian and she thinks it's funny.
If you are Asian and it offends you then I am sorry, but I didn't coin the phrase that's been around for 40 years.
No, I'm not. Good to know your wife's thoughts represent the thoughts of millions of people. Sorry, but I've always hated that term and think people who use it seem narrow minded.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:43 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Not to mention that you can't say anything anymore without offending someone. We've become a nation of thin-skinned wussies.
Is it just me or has the forum been overrun with them lately? Sheesh. This place is getting less fun.

To the subject at hand. I think that the rising price issue could sound the death knoll for the Vette. Quicker, I believe than any specific styling queues that may change.

Last edited by bobeast; 12-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:18 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
No, I'm not. Good to know your wife's thoughts represent the thoughts of millions of people. Sorry, but I've always hated that term and think people who use it seem narrow minded.
Actually my wife does represent the thoughts of millions of people. Most Asians find nothing wrong with the phrase, in fact they think it's funny. Asians are a tough lot and not thin skinned at all. I know a hell of a lot of them. You may want to take on a cause that actually does matter. People that hate the phrase are the narrow minded ones, since it is all in fun and Asians already know they like their rice and are not ashamed of it at all.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Actually my wife does represent the thoughts of millions of people. Most Asians find nothing wrong with the phrase, in fact they think it's funny. Asians are a tough lot and not thin skinned at all. I know a hell of a lot of them. You may want to take on a cause that actually does matter. People that hate the phrase are the narrow minded ones, since it is all in fun and Asians already know they like their rice and are not ashamed of it at all.
Now I'm the narrow minded one? Lmao. You are quite the piece of work. I'm sure everyone thinks it is just "all in fun". Well, use it if you want I guess. I prefer not to make myself look ignorant on purpose though
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Jeffwilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

personally I did not like the look of the C6 to begin with but it grew on me.
Now the C7 i am not sure I will ever like the looks. It does not have the Unique look of a Vette, it could be mistaken for many imports at just a glance epically at night.

The 1st thing the need to do is redo the rear end, the 1st one i saw from the rear I thought was a new Camaro. Those tail lights need to be round or oval or some way.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Jeffwilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

personally I did not like the look of the C6 to begin with but it grew on me.
Now the C7 i am not sure I will ever like the looks. It does not have the Unique look of a Vette, it could be mistaken for many imports at just a glance epically at night.

The 1st thing the need to do is redo the rear end, the 1st one i saw from the rear I thought was a new Camaro. Those tail lights need to be round or oval or some way.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Now I'm the narrow minded one? Lmao. You are quite the piece of work. I'm sure everyone thinks it is just "all in fun". Well, use it if you want I guess. I prefer not to make myself look ignorant on purpose though
Is anyone truly offended by the phrase, "rice burner"? Anyone? Honestly?
I think your attempt at trying to be politically correct displays your ignorance. Political correctness has gone too far.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i previously had posted regarding women on the forum--very little response. they are missing an entire demographic, with women now bringing in the money. er, um, ...look at the head of gm. duh. make a car that is female friendly--remember skirts on cars of the 50's and 60's for example? think out of the box--do i have to do it all? what about hot pink as a color?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM
daddoe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read the article, I was thinking that GM might possibly be missing sales projections for the C7 roll out. Or perhaps they were not getting the intended demographics for success.

I hope we don't all lose our sense of humor in this country. Typically, the most offensive decisive language is directed at a particular person, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc., rather than an inanimate object. I am half Japanese and half Italian. When I had my Yamaha sportbike, I used to refer to it as a "riceburner." Hopefully my Yamaha did not feel demeaned by that expression. If I was wealthy enough to own a Ferrari, I would have no issue with it being referred to as a pasta-burner.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Is anyone truly offended by the phrase, "rice burner"? Anyone? Honestly?
I think your attempt at trying to be politically correct displays your ignorance. Political correctness has gone too far.
Don't know, I simply said I don't like the term. So far your justifications for using it include that it's all in fun, people don't really care, Asian wife thinks it's funny, etc. Many other words or phrases have also been used with similar justifications. With that said, I'm pretty much done discussing that phrase and will let you live in your own ignorance. Enjoy thinking you are better than others because you own an old Corvette
Old 12-26-2013, 03:10 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

For an example. My son was born in 1979. His first new car purchase was a 2005 Scion TC. It was the right car for him at the time and served him well. He started looking at a replacement this year. Since I bought the Vette he became more interested and researched the C7 and took a hard look at some used C6 Z06 cars. But when it was all said and done he bought a 2013 370Z with the 6 speed, rev-matching and lsd. New out the door for $32k and a new car warranty. Would he rather have a new C7 yes, but he just couldn't justify the additional $30k.

He wanted a 350Z back in 05 but it was not feasible then and he still held a warm spot for the model. I've driven his 370 and it is a very good car and there may still be a Corvette in his future although he may be in his 40's before it happens.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...55579935_n.jpg
Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Don't know, I simply said I don't like the term. So far your justifications for using it include that it's all in fun, people don't really care, Asian wife thinks it's funny, etc. Many other words or phrases have also been used with similar justifications. With that said, I'm pretty much done discussing that phrase and will let you live in your own ignorance. Enjoy thinking you are better than others because you own an old Corvette
And you thin skinned, politically correct crusader can live in your own ignorance. Must be tough being you.
I do own an older Corvette. It's parked right next to my Rice Burner Subaru.

Last edited by JR-01; 12-26-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

It exists. The new Z28 doesn't have air conditioning standard, boss mustang has an available back seat delete and some Porsches even come with cages in them. Unfortunately, none of these vehicles are cheap.
The days of a 'Road Runner' are long gone. Todays vehicles all have to have computers/diagnostic capabilities/emmisions junk. Where you could save some cash is the power windows and AC setup but you still need all the eclectronics. If anyone thinks that a full load $80k car can be stripped down to bare bones and sold off the lot at 1/2 price is dreaming.... unfortunately.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bobeast
I think that the rising price issue could sound the death knoll for the Vette.
Even at C7 prices it's an awful lot of car for the money, and its main competition is rising in price just as fast or faster. If Corvette could survive the "gutless wonder" years of the early '80s, the C7 shouldn't have any problem.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

And you thin skinned, politically correct crusader can live in your own ignorance. Must be tough being you.
Will do. Life is exceptionally tough.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Don't know, I simply said I don't like the term. So far your justifications for using it include that it's all in fun, people don't really care, Asian wife thinks it's funny, etc. Many other words or phrases have also been used with similar justifications.
Uh, you do realize the term refers to cars/motorcycles, not people, right?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Vette history has shown that Corvettes have been on the block many times when sales were slow. I hope it hangs around for awhile longer.

Get notified of new replies

To Will C7 Kill Corvette?

Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
The days of a 'Road Runner' are long gone. Todays vehicles all have to have computers/diagnostic capabilities/emmisions junk. Where you could save some cash is the power windows and AC setup but you still need all the eclectronics. If anyone thinks that a full load $80k car can be stripped down to bare bones and sold off the lot at 1/2 price is dreaming.... unfortunately.
I think GM could make a pretty decent V8 two seat sports car for 40K if they really wanted to.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

I think GM could make a pretty decent V8 two seat sports car for 40K if they really wanted to.
Almost certainly, but they'd have to design new to that price point rather than working down from an existing design. And I'm not sure the market is really there for what would be closer to a Miata on steroids than a baby 'Vette, at least not on a scale that would justify the development cost.

(The thing that really discourages me about the idea of a GM entry-level sports car is that the last time they tried it, it well and truly sucked: Fiero.)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Almost certainly, but they'd have to design new to that price point rather than working down from an existing design. And I'm not sure the market is really there for what would be closer to a Miata on steroids than a baby 'Vette, at least not on a scale that would justify the development cost.

(The thing that really discourages me about the idea of a GM entry-level sports car is that the last time they tried it, it well and truly sucked: Fiero.)
They could use improved past technology based on a C5 frame and LS motor. It doesn't need 500 hp or all the techno junk. I think they over did it on the C6 and C7. They are over engineered in my opinion.
Larger than a Miata with LS power and just plain fun to drive. I would pay 40K for one.
Solstice was cute, but underpowered and too small. That was their last attempt at an alternative 2 seater.

Quick Reply: Will C7 Kill Corvette?