Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,888 Likes on 1,678 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Default Updates On Grape Ape

Pat aka American Hydrocarbon wanted to see some updates that I've added to my car. I've bought a few things from him and he has always treated me right and did a fantastic job with my parts.
I call my car Grape Ape because of the color. Think it fits. Anyway, instead of hy-jacking his thread on "What's In SANTA's Bag", I would start my own thread and see what you all think. I know some if not most will not like some of the things I have done to him but that's okay. It's my car, my tastes and I like it.
So here goes.

This has all been in the last year or so.

Added a rear spoiler again after a guy around here stole my other one. Long story so I won't get into it here.

Added a front ACI splitter that scrapes everywhere pretty much.

This was taken at an all Corvette show in the spring. The door hinges were put on a few years ago. I used the Dream Car Custom hinges so I could reverse it and have the door panels intact if I decide some day to take them off. Just showing the front splitter. This is the picture some if not most will not like.

Here's a shot of the engine bay with some of Pat's handy work in it.

Added purple (black lights) to the interior. Looks very cool I think. Useless if you drop something at night though.

Also added the LED's to the dash and doors. Went with the white so I could read the words.

Front and rear chrome emblems. Had to put the front one through a roller at work to get the contour to match somewhat with the bumper.

Super bright LED reverse lights.

Halo LED's with Radioflyers sequencing mod. Get a lot of questions and compliments on those.

Put some black reflective tape on the red reflectors on the doors. I like the blacked look. There's a thread in here that gave me the idea. Thanks Biomech011.....

Link is here: Black Door Reflectors

Shot of the console Pat did for me before I installed the single DIN DVD player.

Dash Cluster Pat did as well. I took the steering wheel cover off so don't worry, it's gone.

Also added a single din DVD from Sound Stream. Works for now until I can afford the double din. Pardon the finger prints.

And last but not least, my brother stopped by for a visit on Halloween night. Scared the crap out of me when I went to the garage for a beer. Well, not really because I don't have a brother and I don't drink. I was just walking around the neighborhood scaring the kids.

So there it is in a nut shell. I try to do all the work myself so I can learn the car and know how things are put together.

Last edited by mstromquist; 07-07-2017 at 10:10 PM.
The following 15 users liked this post by mstromquist:
03 A/E Coupe (05-04-2017), Artarmy (04-17-2024), BACNBLK (02-20-2022), caddman11 (11-04-2021), Fastmart (01-25-2023), friou (10-24-2019), Gary Collins (02-03-2020), MYZ061080 (04-29-2024), Noblebro175 (12-18-2022), oh1c5Pewter (07-26-2020), Ram907 (04-10-2021), runner140* (02-20-2020), Shirl (04-05-2020), sonicss33 (12-16-2021), Storyplay9 (04-10-2021) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

07-26-2023, 08:17 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, been a long weekend but I'm vertical again for a change. Wife came down with some kind of virus a couple weeks ago and of course she decided to share it with me around last Thursday, I started to feel some pre-virus issues start to pop up then. I had also had made plans all weekend to be with my kids and grandkids at my home town county fair because they were all in town. Went down Friday evening and let the grandkids loose at the fair. There was a hairband concert Saturday night after the grandkids spent more time at the carnival, the band was Hairball. Grandkids went home and we stayed for the concert. Very good band if you don't know who they are. I was still able to be around everyone as I didn't feel that bad, but my voice was pretty obviously going south. Not fun when you're at a hairband concert and can't help sing with everyone. Then Sunday I had planned to drive thru the fair parade with Grape. I had a special reason for that and we kept it from my dad. My sister rode with and helped me throw out the candy. My dad's business was a service station that his dad had bought for him and his brother, Bob. My grandpa had also owned a dead animal rendering service that was suppose to go to dads other brother, Donny. Unfortunately Donny got killed when he was 25 in a trucking accident I believe was in 1955. That was the same year dad and my grandpa took the station over and Bob took the rendering service. Then in 1971, my dad took the station over himself and hired a spare hand when he could. That eventually was me in the early 1980's. Then in 1992, the people that owned the building told my dad that they weren't renewing his lease so he had to get out. In a smal town like that of 1300 people, it wasn't a very popular decision with some and we all knew who was behind it all because everyone knows everyone there. I had planned on taking the business over from him whenever he wanted to retire just like he did with his dad when he retired. But we all know that didn't work out and I wound up working on aircraft, which was really fun and the reason I was able to retire early too. So it worked out okay. The old station was called Hilltop Service and as you can probably tell by the name, it was actually on the top of the hill along the highway that went thru town. It was a great spot. So I wanted to reminisce a little and I made a sign for the doors on my car. You'll see in the photos below what it looked like. My oldest sister and my mom told me he actually got teary eyed when he saw the car and read what it said. So I'm very happy I could make his day with it. Sorry for the long post, but wanted you all to know a little about the back story of it. Then Monday came and I was totally sick. Went to the doctor and I have a bacterial virus and I'm on antibiotics now for 5 days. Doing better today though so hopefully won't be down for to much longer.

Now for the pics.

Saturday evening Hairball as KISS. Their generator shut down midway thru the 2nd song but they were back at it after 15 minutes. Funny story with this concert too. My youngest daughter was sitting down 3 chairs from me and a lady approached her and talked to her. She told her to go talk to me I guess. She came up from behind and said, I'm sorry to bother you, but could I get your autograph? We all have a bet going on behind you and nobody was brave enough to come up and talk to you....but, are you Sammy Hagar by chance? I had to inform her that I wasn't but maybe wish I was now. When she left she said, you wear it very well and you look great, keep it. I just told her thanks and considered it a compliment. Then my daughter told me they were all taking pictures of me and she showed them to her before she told her to go talk to me herself. Then a guy walked in front of where I was sitting about a half hour later and said, hey look, Sammy Hagar is here. He knew I wasn't but gave me the compliment anyway and had no idea what that other lady said to me before. I told him thanks, I'll take it.

Grape before the parade started on Sunday evening. Hilltop Service Sinclair station was my dad's old business and my sponsor.

All my Stromquist cousins vehicles that were in the parade. 6 total, the pickup behind me wasn't part of the clan.

My 2nd cousin, Logan. My sister wanted this photo because of our hair.

My youngest sister and I just before the parade started.

My dad raised his hands when he read the door placard and saw my car.

My Grandkids chasing our candy.

My dad and I after the parade. Wanted to get a photo with him with the car. He told me I made his day with it so it was worth the effort. He had no idea I was in the parade and wondered where I was when they all sat down for it.

So that was my weekend. Had a ton-o-fun and hope to be able to do it again next year. If you made it thru the whole post, congrats and thanks. Now I just need to recover a little more before I'm around other people again. Car ran great too. Took the top off, turned on the AC and just cruised nice and slow. DeWitts setup with fans kept it a cool 190 the whole way thru. I was impressed.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:01 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Now that's a show winner!Thanks for posting up!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Great looking car!!!!! Good job!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:19 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Beautiful, well done car. Love your shift ****.

PS The palm trees brightened my morning. It's -1 here this morning.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Wow-- I didn't realize you'd done all that stuff to your Vette . . it looks incredible ! The body additions are one thng- but the engine bay is over the top !

And thanks again for your help with the emblem, I really appreciate it.

Keep `em flyin'.

Rollie
Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 AM
kgie1217
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Nice ride! Where did you get those grille inserts?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Quite a rare color.
Looks GREAT !

Love the interior white LED's. It sure adds a great look !
I have mine done too in white.

Toque
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great, love the engine details!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Absolutely stunning, and one of the rarest colors that can stand the test of time. Here's proof that will warm your soul....

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pain...or%20Of%20Year

Have you thought about adding the Bronze wheels? (see bottom of SW text).
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks killer
Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Much appreciated. Didn't realize they made that color for the inside of the house. Might have to make a room that color.

As for the grills, I bought them YEEEAAARS ago on ebay. Don't really know if he even makes them anymore. I haven't seen them come up on there for quite some time now.

The bronze wheels might look pretty good. I am a chrome kind of guy so I might have to do some photoshop and see how they would look before I think about changing them out.

CQRT - Glad I could help out with your emblem. Hope to see you Sunday in Fountain Hills if I can get away for a bit. Wife is recovering from a surgery so I will have to see how she feels before I can leave her alone for a couple hours.

The shifter **** I got done with Airbrush Inc here on the forum. He did a great job with it and it has held up really well.

Question for you all. What do you think of the side skirts? I have been thinking about doing those and if I did, I like the ACI ones without the splash guards. How much clearance would I loose if I put them on?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Thanks for all the comments everyone. Much appreciated. Didn't realize they made that color for the inside of the house. Might have to make a room that color.

As for the grills, I bought them YEEEAAARS ago on ebay. Don't really know if he even makes them anymore. I haven't seen them come up on there for quite some time now.

The bronze wheels might look pretty good. I am a chrome kind of guy so I might have to do some photoshop and see how they would look before I think about changing them out.

CQRT - Glad I could help out with your emblem. Hope to see you Sunday in Fountain Hills if I can get away for a bit. Wife is recovering from a surgery so I will have to see how she feels before I can leave her alone for a couple hours.

The shifter **** I got done with Airbrush Inc here on the forum. He did a great job with it and it has held up really well.

Question for you all. What do you think of the side skirts? I have been thinking about doing those and if I did, I like the ACI ones without the splash guards. How much clearance would I loose if I put them on?
If your car is lowered all the way you will end up with about 3.5 inches of road clearance, which will work ok except on tall speed bumps.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good job!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks great!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:31 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
If your car is lowered all the way you will end up with about 3.5 inches of road clearance, which will work ok except on tall speed bumps.
My car is lowered but not quite all the way. I also have the rub bars under the car just for the speed bumps around here. Not really sure how this will look without the widebody fenders in the back. Still contemplating.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:13 PM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Very nice looking vette.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 PM
1BADAZ50TH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car looks great! Hope to see you cruising around in my neck of the woods.

Get notified of new replies

To Updates On Grape Ape

Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Zorlac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great ride.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Nice Car! You did a great job!

PS - I can get you the side skirts....
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Pat. As for the skirts, give me a pm and your best price possible. Painted or unpainted if you do painting. Question for ya, can you get the RK Sport skirts? They seem to be more in my price range. I know the ACI are fiberglass and the RK's are polyurethane. Is that the difference in the price? Do you prefer one over the other?

Last edited by mstromquist; 12-13-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Updates On Grape Ape