Motor build opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Jarren_b
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor build opinions

Alright guys, tell me if im doing anything stupid here

So Since I live in utah, I obviously cant drive my car during the coming months so ive decided to take the next three months to build my motor. It used to be on a 100 shot but I sold the kit for a good deal.. anyway right now I have an Xpipe, Ziptie mod, Ported TB and a solid tune with 13.0 AFR. My car put down 362/365.. Dont ask me how cause I dont know how that number is possible.

Anyway My plan right now is a 230 duration cam or I might go with the 228R cam I had in my camaro which I thought was good for a daily driver car. Ive also heard good things about the streetsweeper SSHT cam.

I have the ability to buy a FAST 78mm for 350 with a TB or we all know I can get an ls6 for about the same price and probably have around the same power increase. First question. will a 78 be big enough for a heads and cam car? or will that be choke point in my motor

Im also planning on TSP longtubes, I can get my stock heads ported, polished, and milled for 200 and then im going to try and find a used Z06 axleback. also BTR dual springs and all the other stuff required with a cam swap.

My goal is 420whp and then id love to spray a 100 shot on top of that
could the stock bottom end handle that much power with spray? as long as my tune was on without detonation or would I be living on borrowed time?

I dont plan on spinning about 6500 rpm and I always clutch in after a hard pull rather than letting the motor slow me down on decel

Are rod bolts weak when it comes to power? or is it rpm that kills them.

Obviously I could spend thousands doing this with CNC'd heads and bla bla bla..

Im trying to be as cost effective as possible.
what would you guys suggest if anything from different from what ive stated
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It would be interesting to see that dyno sheet. I don't see how that is possible either.

Lots of people putting down >500 hp on stock bottom ends. As long as the bottom end is in good condition in the first place.

As far as rod loads...its both. Force goes up logarithmically with piston speed. But power is also a function of speed.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd buy the FAST for that price. It'll perform better than a LS6 intake for about the same money. I like split duration cams better than singles. It would also be advantageous to get a cam that optimizes your dynamic compression ratio. A DCR of 8.5, and a bump in SCR to 11:1 really works well.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarren_b
Alright guys, tell me if im doing anything stupid here

So Since I live in utah, I obviously cant drive my car during the coming months so ive decided to take the next three months to build my motor. It used to be on a 100 shot but I sold the kit for a good deal.. anyway right now I have an Xpipe, Ziptie mod, Ported TB and a solid tune with 13.0 AFR. My car put down 362/365.. Dont ask me how cause I dont know how that number is possible.

Anyway My plan right now is a 230 duration cam or I might go with the 228R cam I had in my camaro which I thought was good for a daily driver car. Ive also heard good things about the streetsweeper SSHT cam.

I have the ability to buy a FAST 78mm for 350 with a TB or we all know I can get an ls6 for about the same price and probably have around the same power increase. First question. will a 78 be big enough for a heads and cam car? or will that be choke point in my motor

Im also planning on TSP longtubes, I can get my stock heads ported, polished, and milled for 200 and then im going to try and find a used Z06 axleback. also BTR dual springs and all the other stuff required with a cam swap.

My goal is 420whp and then id love to spray a 100 shot on top of that
could the stock bottom end handle that much power with spray? as long as my tune was on without detonation or would I be living on borrowed time?

I dont plan on spinning about 6500 rpm and I always clutch in after a hard pull rather than letting the motor slow me down on decel

Are rod bolts weak when it comes to power? or is it rpm that kills them.

Obviously I could spend thousands doing this with CNC'd heads and bla bla bla..

Im trying to be as cost effective as possible.
what would you guys suggest if anything from different from what ive stated

I think the rule of thumb is around 550 rwhp as a safe limit(good tune of course). I actually ran the 228r cam on a c5z back in the day. Great cam for around town. I dyno'd at 385 rwhp, but that was on a 105 degree day and I was pulling IAT timing like crazy. We are located in Salt Lake City, feel free to PM me about some headers. I could give you a locals only deal

Get notified of new replies

To Motor build opinions

Quick Reply: Motor build opinions