Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a louder flasher (for hyperflash harness)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Need a louder flasher (for hyperflash harness)

Recently installed a hyperflash harness, but now the (new) flasher is not loud enough.

Anyone find a louder 3 pin flasher, or can you relocate the harness to hear it better?

Did the typical searches (forum, ebay, yahoo, amazon, RadioFlyer, JWM, my wife....).

This is for a convertible, and I hate to be the one driving down the road with the turn signals on constantly!

Thanks,
Plasticman
Old 11-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

You can wire a relay in parallel with the lights so that the relay coil will energize and click when the lights flash, try some different relays to find a loud one.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062397#

It is funny, I just got back from a business trip, and haven't driven my C5 in a few weeks, and the first thing I randomly noticed when I drove it today is that the turn signal relay/flasher is really loud

My work vehicle (like a lot of newer cars) makes a little ding noise probably from a speaker inside the dash.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

The relay idea is good, and I have a "stock" of them, but they have a "size to loudnes" ratio that requires a pretty big relay to equal what I need, and then need a good location to place it.

The buzzers (I also have "in stock") always irritate, since they don't just "click", but "buzz".

I know, being picky. But the stock (combo Hazard & Turn signal) flasher worked just fine. It is the new anti hyperflash version that is too quiet.

I am just surprised that no one offers a louder 3 pin flasher (plug & play).

Thanks guys,
Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Older car flashers used a simple bimetallic switch where the thin sheet metal can generated the noise. The C5 hazard switch includes a timer chip that drives an internal relay, the relay is what you hear clicking. The reason the small relay is loud enough is because it transmits through the dash panel, sort of like a loudspeaker cone. Try placing a small relay on some surfaces to get the desired loudness. My turn signal system is totally silent so I added a small relay in the side footrest area behind the trim panel. Can you bond a piece of sheet metal on the hyper flash unit to make it louder or rigidly attach the unit to a panel?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

I had previously designed a louder flasher with an old style electromechanical buzzer, capacitor and resistor, plus a couple of diodes for use in my 62 Vette. The buzzer (when wired in that mode) just clicks (rather loudly). The cap and bypass resistor give the buzzer a pulse (to click) for each "flash". Works rather effectively. The diodes isolate the feed off the right and left turn signals.

Note that I installed this on my 62 Vette a few years ago (when I changed to LED turn signals and had to use a 2 pin electroinic flasher), so it does work (for me).

Only issue is where to locate it in the 03, so that if it is too loud, I can stick a piece of tape over the buzzer opening. I am sure I will find a spot.

I was hoping that someone offered just a plug & play louder 3 pin flasher, but evidently it is not available.

I have already used the area in the foot rest for my remote radar detector amp & speaker. I will have to see if I have any more room in there.........

Thanks guys for the ideas,
Plasticman

Get notified of new replies

To Need a louder flasher (for hyperflash harness)

Quick Reply: Need a louder flasher (for hyperflash harness)