Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 General
General C5 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Bud's Chevy

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
98gorby

Default Lost to a Hyundai....

OK... so weather was nice here last few days thought I would take the vette out for a nice highway cruise to Niagara before weather gets slippery. (98 c5 a4 2.73 with cai/exhaust)

I'm cruising on the highway, tunes blasting on my stock bose tape head unit, when a sharp looking white sedan pulls next to me, i could not recognize the car. I look over and notice an older guy driving it, we both look at each other for a bit cruising at 50mph. I decide what the heck let the old gezzer hear some american muscle, I stomp on the throttle at about 45 and bring it up to about 85, I look into my rear view mirror to check out the front of his sedan, nothing, I look to my side, the damn guy is right next to me......he smiles and gives me a thumbs up.

I roll down my passenger window ask him what hes driving becuase I cant see any logos front or side.......he yells back at me and says its a hyundai......I said what that cant be right......nonono he says its a hyundaI and smiled.

We both look forward, highway was empty no cars in front so we drop to about 35 and we both jump on it.....35-45-60-70-80........we are bumper to bumper, side to side, his car silky quiet but right there next to me pulling damn strong we both let off at 80 he pulls up gives me a wave and gets off next exit. As he pulls off there I see the large hyundai logo on the back. Well done hyundai! I am an american guy but damn these guys have come along way. Guess my c5 is not as quick as I thought.

Alli caught on his bumper as he pulled off was the wording "genesis r-spec". Very impressive for a 4 door v6 hyundai. Got my respect. Lt headers gears and a tune are in order for me
98gorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Bill Vett
CF Senior Member

It has 429 hp.
Bill Vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Red rag
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98gorby View Post
OK... so weather was nice here last few days thought I would take the vette out for a nice highway cruise to Niagara before weather gets slippery. (98 c5 a4 2.73 with cai/exhaust)

I'm cruising on the highway, tunes blasting on my stock bose tape head unit, when a sharp looking white sedan pulls next to me, i could not recognize the car. I look over and notice an older guy driving it, we both look at each other for a bit cruising at 50mph. I decide what the heck let the old gezzer hear some american muscle, I stomp on the throttle at about 45 and bring it up to about 85, I look into my rear view mirror to check out the front of his sedan, nothing, I look to my side, the damn guy is right next to me......he smiles and gives me a thumbs up.

I roll down my passenger window ask him what hes driving becuase I cant see any logos front or side.......he yells back at me and says its a hyundai......I said what that cant be right......nonono he says its a hyundaI and smiled.

We both look forward, highway was empty no cars in front so we drop to about 35 and we both jump on it.....35-45-60-70-80........we are bumper to bumper, side to side, his car silky quiet but right there next to me pulling damn strong we both let off at 80 he pulls up gives me a wave and gets off next exit. As he pulls off there I see the large hyundai logo on the back. Well done hyundai! I am an american guy but damn these guys have come along way. Guess my c5 is not as quick as I thought.

Alli caught on his bumper as he pulled off was the wording "genesis r-spec". Very impressive for a 4 door v6 hyundai. Got my respect. Lt headers gears and a tune are in order for me

Doesn't sound like you "Lost", just door to door. Btw the R spec is a 5.0 v8 with 429 hp. If it was a v6, it's still 333 hp. C5 is very cool and fast, but it's also nearly 20 year old technology when it was developed.
Red rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
JaxEagle
CF Senior Member

Uh yeah, the Genesis R-Spec is bad ***!
JaxEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
98gorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red rag View Post
Doesn't sound like you "Lost", just door to door. Btw the R spec is a 5.0 v8 with 429 hp. If it was a v6, it's still 333 hp. C5 is very cool and fast, but it's also nearly 20 year old technology when it was developed.
No just wanted to give the koreans a pat on the back. 5 years ago if you said a stock 4 door v6 hyundai can hold with a c5 people would laugh at you.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
98gorby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vett View Post
It has 429 hp.
Damn!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Evil-Twin
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

its not your typical import. Its got a 5.0 V8 and the output in the R-Spec four-door stands at 429 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque; it’s routed through an eight-speed transmission that Hyundai developed in-house. The R-Spec also features larger front brakes, recalibrated steering, and a sturdier rear anti-roll bar.
Its also weights in at 1000 pounds more than your c5. that's why you could stay with it. Maxed out the MSRP is 48,000 and change.

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 11-19-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Evil-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
jdot
CF Senior Member

My wife drives a Hyundai so I guess I better start showing her more respect. It's funny but I found my Vette on the local Hyundai lot three years ago. Maybe I should have been looking at the Genesis two doors instead.

NOT!!!!!

Last edited by jdot; 11-19-2013 at 08:50 PM.
jdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
95wht6spd
CF Senior Member

I bet his tape deck is nicer too.
95wht6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
OKZ06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun View Post
ib4tl

This is no longer a issue.
OKZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
zagger
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I bet his tape deck is nicer too.
zagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
bj1k
CF Senior Member

Who cares ? He's still driving ugly ! I'm fortunate, I'm one of those guys that drives a Corvette for it's styling and not impressed with those fart cans. If they built those cars with the styling of our Corvettes I'm sure some of you here on this forum would convert but I would have to ask why ?
bj1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
jcsperson
CF Senior Member
NC Events Coordinator

Those 2.73 gears have got to go.

3.42 gears, headers and a tune and you'll feel like you have a whole new car.
jcsperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
DanSavage
CF Senior Member

With all due respect, at the the end of the day, when someone asks what you drive, do you want to say 'A Hyundai' or 'A Corvette'?

Last edited by DanSavage; 11-19-2013 at 10:01 PM.
DanSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
98gorby

Just did a search on the genesis sedan r spec. Its funny.....first thing that comes up in the forums as a sticky is "how too remove hyundai logos"
Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxEagle View Post
Uh yeah, the Genesis R-Spec is bad ***!
But I would sell my car ....
James2002z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
sfc rick
CF Senior Member

I've always felt that increasing your car's performance to keep current(or in my case EXCEED) horsepower that most new performance cars have. NO ONE is going to pull next to me and anticipate this old C5 to perform at 1998 levels. Just saying, they better bring their A game.
sfc rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
James2002z06
CF Senior Member

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfc rick View Post
I've always felt that increasing your car's performance to keep current(or in my case EXCEED) horsepower that most new performance cars have. NO ONE is going to pull next to me and anticipate this old C5 to perform at 1998 levels. Just saying, they better bring their A game.
James2002z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
Oh 2 Fun
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09, '13

Greg Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKZ06 View Post
This is no longer a issue.
Thanks....I looked....seems yer right....

Of course, this wasn't a "kill" story anyway.....nobody "won" !!
Oh 2 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
JaxEagle
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2002z06 View Post
But I would sell my car ....
I mean for what it is. For a car over 4000 lbs and with the luxury and spaciousness, it still performs well and is fun... even looks good too. New Genesis are due out soon.
JaxEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:36 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 General
Reload this Page Lost to a Hyundai....