C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost to a Hyundai....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Those 2.73 gears have got to go.

3.42 gears, headers and a tune and you'll feel like you have a whole new car.

I had the 2:73 gears and swapped them out for RPM built 3:42's. While doing that I installed a Yank SS3200 stall and an RPM built A4 and had the car performance tuned. Makes a huge difference in acceleration and in the fun factor!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Here are my thoughts. The Op of the this thread started out not knowing what make of car was next to him.

My car makes me happy, I've added some things to it to make it more fun and more timely. But what really gives me a buzz is the array of comments I get everyday when I get eye contact with someone after leaving my car or just getting into it. the car ( 14 years ) old still attract people to go out of their way to talk to me. but here is the kicker. With respect to the Op's observation about the car next to him, he could not tell the make, there is No doubt that I drive a Corvette. The problem with the Asian rim cars, is that they all look alike. Even some American made cars are taking their queue from Asian designs.
I saw that with the C6 getting styling queue from the European market. The C7 is a further example of moving away from the American Sports car heritage. Old guys like me want our Corvette to look like American muscle. I left GM at the right time.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 11-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 PM
moe24
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I daily drive a 2012 huyndai elentra(its our company car and that things a turd lol but I have to admit its so good on gas and I have put 75,000 miles with no issues at all . they've come a long way and they're putting out nice cars for the money.

I think the car was advertised as 40 miles to the gallon but it really only gets about 35 miles to the gallon so huyndai reimburses all huyndai elentra owners I think from 2011-2013.someway somehow they calculate how much gas mileage u lost from there false advertisement of 40mpg and they reimburse you every month as long as you can provide gas recipts..
You won't get reimbursed unless you bring it up so if u guys know anyone with an elentra let them know about the fuel reimbursement. I get anywhere from $25-$100 a month from them depending on how much I drive it. .
Elentra owners should already know because huyndai sent out letters in the mail but like I said if you dont bring it up to the service manager or bring in that letter they've sent out then you wont get reimbursed.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Motor Trend got 0-60 in 4.8 and 13.3@107 in the 1/4, with a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec that's right next to a base C5 with 2.73's.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Here are my thoughts. The Op od the this thread started out not knowing what make of car was next to him.

My car makes me happy, I've added some things to it to make it more fun and more timely. But what really gives me a buzz is the array of comments I get everyday when I get eye contact with someone after leaving my car or just getting into it. the car ( 14 years ) old still attract people to go out of their way to talk to me. but here is the kicker. With respect to the Op's observation about the car next to him, he could not tell the make, there is No doubt that I drive a Corvette. The problem with the Asian rim cars, is that they all look alike. Even some American made cars are taking their queue from Asian designs.
I saw that with the C6 getting styling queue from the European market. The C7 is a further example of moving away from the American Sports car heritage. Old guys like me want our Corvette to look like American muscle. I left GM at the right time.
Bill aka ET

and that was a good thing for "US" Corvette owners because if you were still there you couldn't have helped us as much here

and now I have to explain to all the little aholes here why I'm not a leg humper
Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 98gorby
Just did a search on the genesis sedan r spec. Its funny.....first thing that comes up in the forums as a sticky is "how too remove hyundai logos"
So you want to remove the crooked "H"? I won't be driving one any time soon!
Old 11-19-2013, 11:56 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
With all due respect, at the the end of the day, when someone asks what you drive, do you want to say 'A Hyundai' or 'A Corvette'?
brands are starting to get weird. GM was an underdog forever, now their new cars aren't too bad, same with ford. toyota and honda ran the show in the 90s and early 2000s. now honda is synonymous with ugly and slow while toyota is big and boxy.

almost seems like the more an auto manf is disliked the better they get 10 years later if they don't fold in the mean time
Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Gotta hand it to them....Kia and Hyundai are going for the throat in the luxury sport sedan markets. Of course they have a ways to go yet, but make no mistake they are getting aggressive.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Gotta hand it to them....Kia and Hyundai are going for the throat in the luxury sport sedan markets. Of course they have a ways to go yet, but make no mistake they are getting aggressive.
I've got to agree, I really like the looks of the Kia Optima and for abit was thinking of replacing my winter car (Pontiac G6) with one. Found it to hard to pull the trigger because I've always been a GM guy.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Just get an A&A Supercharger kit (A true bolt on) get the tune to go with it and enjoy 550+ RWHP all day long - safe and easy!

Not many cars that'll beat it - ohh and still get some 3.42 gears!

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98gorby
No just wanted to give the koreans a pat on the back. 5 years ago if you said a stock 4 door v6 hyundai can hold with a c5 people would laugh at you.
Please, don't EVAR come on here and tell us a V6 Hyundai beat you.. if that happens, keep that depressing B.S. to yourself. Our standards may be low, but we still have them.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:12 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
brands are starting to get weird. GM was an underdog forever, now their new cars aren't too bad, same with ford. toyota and honda ran the show in the 90s and early 2000s. now honda is synonymous with ugly and slow while toyota is big and boxy.

almost seems like the more an auto manf is disliked the better they get 10 years later if they don't fold in the mean time
Originally Posted by sfc rick
Originally Posted by ZigZag
I've got to agree, I really like the looks of the Kia Optima and for abit was thinking of replacing my winter car (Pontiac G6) with one. Found it to hard to pull the trigger because I've always been a GM guy.
with all these.

I recently read a study that said a Toyota had the most american economic impact as far as jobs and parts, etc. of any car. So, the notion of foreign and domestic is also turned upside down these days, just like Honda and Toyota have lost some of their momentum. GM and Ford are once again becoming cool and sexy.

While I feel prouder of the GM and Ford logos, I am not one that disrespects the "imports" (if they are really even imports anymore).

So, back on point, Hyundai and Kia make some nice cars and have made a heckuva lot of progress into the American Market. I'd own either brand and be proud of it because they have some nice cars. That said, it is a very competitive market because there are lots of nice cars out there.

My dad just traded his Hyundai Azera DD which was extremely nice looking and nicely optioned for a 2014 Impala LTZ fully loaded with the Saddle Leather. That is one kick *** sedan for a 6 cylinder!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way, not to hijack the thread but, when does the new Chevy SS hit the streets?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Big Duk
Pro

Bring back the El Camino!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Those 2.73 gears have got to go.

3.42 gears, headers and a tune and you'll feel like you have a whole new car.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by El original
So you want to remove the crooked "H"? I won't be driving one any time soon!
I'm not sure what MY it happened, but Hyundai removed the crooked "H" from the Genesis cars and replaced them with winged "Genesis" badges.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum

Yep. Sometimes it's a matter of producing the right car at the right time.

Mazda has had several hits, such as the RX7, Miata, etc. Honda with the Civic, CRX, etc. Now? Meh...

Ford's original Mustang was a serious hit, selling over a million cars a year. As it got older and went through revisions, it grew less popular.

Then, in 2005, they went retro with styling that hearkened back to the 1st gen Mustangs and they had a serious hit again.

It was so popular that it caused GM and Chrysler to reintroduce their own retro muscle cars (Camaro & Challenger)

Get notified of new replies

To Lost to a Hyundai....

Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a guy with one local that has a h/c ls1, its pretty sweet!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Just get an A&A Supercharger kit (A true bolt on) get the tune to go with it and enjoy 550+ RWHP all day long - safe and easy!

Not many cars that'll beat it - ohh and still get some 3.42 gears!

Thanks,Matt
Yeah those gears!!! They really kill yah.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Ona mission
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by DanSavage
With all due respect, at the the end of the day, when someone asks what you drive, do you want to say 'A Hyundai' or 'A Corvette'?

Quick Reply: Lost to a Hyundai....