50th Anniversary Emblem/badge removal, color etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM
usgecko
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14
Default 50th Anniversary Emblem/badge removal, color etc

The 50th Anniversary emblems on my Z06 are looking a little crappy with the paint on the back one wrinkling a little and both the front one and back one showing wear through the silver paint to the black plastic.

I believe they are both attached with double sided tape, the front one having pegs to line up with holes.

1. Is it possible to remove them (using fishing line to cut through the tape) without destroying them?
2. Anyone have any idea what color the silver paint on the emblem is?

What I was thinking of doing was removing them, masking the flags etc and respraying before re-attaching.

Why go to this trouble? - because the price of replacement ones seem a little over-priced to me.

Any suggestions/comments from anyone that's done this appreciated!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

They are indeed applied using double sided tape. For that matter, so is the area that fades. A couple of vendors sell inserts that replace the areas that fade, some are even slightly modified to display the American flag and things like that. Thus there is no reason to remove the entire emblem, just remove the inserts and do what you want to them.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Mono-filiment fishing line works well to remove emblems. You will still have some tape on both the car and the emblem once they are off. I use my thumbs to roll off the tape on the car and then a little Goof Off to clean it up. I would NOT use the Goof Off on the emblem. Get what you can with your thumbs.

Re-taping the emblem and carefully cutting the 2 sided tape back flush to the edges of the emblems is more than a PIA. A very sharp xacto knife and lots of patience is required. Even then you are likely to nic the edges of the plastic while trimming the excess 2 sided tape.

Can't help you with the color silver on the emblems...
good luck
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

As mentioned above, the emblems are held on by double sided tape and can be taken off with a hair dryer (to soften the tape adhesive) and fishing line.

I have found that the following paint color is a very, very close match for the silver on the emblems. I touched mine up with it and you really couldn't tell the difference from the factory silver.

•2003 C5 Anniversary Emblems Touch Up Paint: Duplicolor NG FM 341 (Scratch Fix 2in1, Silver Frost CC, TS, Ford).
The following users liked this post:
Rgeezer (07-04-2017)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:49 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I removed my rear emblem with no problem. Just liked the cleaner look without it. It was easy and I could re-install if I wanted too. After my car being 10 years old, a little polishing and there is no trace of it being there and no paint fade marks. I guess being garaged helps in that regard. Sorry, but I don't have a pic since I did it.

Get notified of new replies

To 50th Anniversary Emblem/badge removal, color etc

Quick Reply: 50th Anniversary Emblem/badge removal, color etc