Sponsored by:

problem with headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM
cwmoss
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problem with headlights

The high and low beams come on at the same time and very dim also the turn indicators on the dash also come on the light switch has no effect as far as turning them off not sure if it is a short or some other problem they do self correct at times something loose or a relay I have no idea any help will be a very good thing,thank you much
Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by cwmoss
The high and low beams come on at the same time and very dim also the turn indicators on the dash also come on the light switch has no effect as far as turning them off not sure if it is a short or some other problem they do self correct at times something loose or a relay I have no idea any help will be a very good thing,thank you much
99% certain your multifunction switch is going bad. It's a common problem as the contacts inside the switch are very small and can eventually rub down causing all sorts of goofy lighting problems.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

It might be the Multifunction Switch but not sure how that would cause them to be dim except for maybe trying to power them both at the same time. When I get home I will review the schematics and look into it more. The fact that you are also having turn signal indication issues does certainly raise the Red Flag on the Multifunction Switch.

Please clarify if the headlight issues and the turn signal indication issues happen at the same time or at different times. Also when you say you try and "turn them off" are you referring to both issues or just one of the issues.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I would also check the ground junctions under the hood.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cowboy26a
I would also check the ground junctions under the hood.
How would bad grounds cause this?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
How would bad grounds cause this?
I know on older cars that a weak ground will sometimes let a circuit bleed into another curcit seeking a good ground. I had a dodge van that would turn off the left parking light and light up both turn signal arrows on the dash when the left turn signal was used. Problem was a bad ground on the left turn signal housing.It's not a bad idea to check the ground connections.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:04 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Kinda funny that you're having a problem with your high and low beams on at the same time and I paid for a mod to do the same thing. When I turn the high beams on, the low beams stay on too... All jesting aside, my guess is also the multifunction switch. Not long ago, I saw one for sale here in the for sale section on the forum. No idea if it is still available. Plus, if I remember correctly, there have been a few brave souls that have actually taken theirs apart and repaired them. (You'll need to be the technician type though, the parts are small). Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cowboy26a
I know on older cars that a weak ground will sometimes let a circuit bleed into another curcit seeking a good ground. I had a dodge van that would turn off the left parking light and light up both turn signal arrows on the dash when the left turn signal was used. Problem was a bad ground on the left turn signal housing.It's not a bad idea to check the ground connections.
Excellent explanation. We'll add it into the Failure Modes Analysis.

Get notified of new replies

To problem with headlights

Quick Reply: problem with headlights