Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Vette and I have a problem, and I need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 PM
plasticsman57
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Vette and I have a problem, and I need some help.

I just purchased my first Corvette, and I LOVE it. I have waited a long time to purchase a Vette, and it was worth the wait.

I do have a problem with it, and I was wondering if someone could provide some ideas of what to check.

I bought a 2002 Coupe, automatic with 36,000 miles, and the car runs fantastic, but I noticed it floating as I change lanes. When I am turning slowly(1-2 miles an hour) in a tight turn if feels like the tires are bumpy and it just doesn't feel right. It is going to need front tires soon, and I was going to get a front end alignment at the same time. I just bought it and have not had a chance to get it checked.

I didn't know if it may be the steering rack, tie rods, or just the tires and the alignment. During driving the steering is sharp and responsive, I only notice this as I mentioned above. Also slowly backing up I hear a popping sound.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Now I know why people buy Corvettes!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

If the tires are original I would start there seeing you can feel them when turning, The tires should be smooth, There is a date on them on the sidewall. If they are 12 years old replace them for starters and get an alignment and then go from there, Good tires make a world of difference.

Not sure about the popping sound.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
If the tires are original I would start there seeing you can feel them when turning, The tires should be smooth, There is a date on them on the sidewall. If they are 12 years old replace them for starters and get an alignment and then go from there, Good tires make a world of difference.

Not sure about the popping sound.
Sounds like mostly a tire and alignment problem and the popping sometimes is caused by CV joints or u-joints going bad. Have them checked when you go for alignment.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:08 PM
plasticsman57
Cruising

Thanks for the information, that is what I thought too but thought I would see what others with the Vettes thought.

Thanks again
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Firstly, congratulations on your Corvette. Your problems with the front end are probably just tires and a good four wheel tire alignment. Get that done but before having it done talk to the alignment tech and tell him your issues. It is a lot easier to diagnose then. Your Corvette (if was taken care of) has too few miles to be something serious. Good luck, Rob
Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,407 Likes on 14,033 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on the Vette. For the popping sound, have the axle nut checked on each side. I had a popping noise in the '99 I owned and the dealer found the axle nut was loose. Tightened it and the sound disappeared.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 AM
dsmith4229
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem also. Was running to air pressure to low in front tires. Run about 35 psi.
That cured my problem.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:49 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats

tires and align..have them check your suspension

make sure you go to a place that routinely does corvettes
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Dagget427
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Vetteman Jack. Have the rear axle nuts checked. Do a search on here on "how to" re-torque them. I had the same problem and it's a very easy fix.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmith4229
I had that problem also. Was running to air pressure to low in front tires. Run about 35 psi.
That cured my problem.

You didn't go into too much detail about the floating when changing lanes, but if the car seems to 'float' when running over the dits dots in the lane markers, then like is said above, I would check the tire inflation.

I notice mine doesn't ride evenly over dits dots if the tires are under-inflated by even a couple of psi.

I've got run-flats on mine and considering the tire construction, this sort of behavior makes sense.

The side walls are fairly stiff and when the tires are under-inflated the center of the tread is soft and cupped toward the rim so this forms a hollow spot in the contact patch.

When running over dits dots the hard side wall has some resistance at first, then when that is overcome, the the falls into the hollow in the center of the tread.

When the tires have proper inflation, then there is a uniform 'stiffness' across the entire tread of the tire.

Last edited by DanSavage; 10-20-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Louthedog1
Instructor

Hi Dan,
I am just like you except I am a woman!! At age 50 I bought my first 02 Coupe, and I absolutely love it.. My husband and I now have almost identical Corvettes.. This site has taught me so so much, and the people on here are marvelous. The first thing I did was take my car to a Chevy dealer to have it "inspected". The second thing I did was check the dates on my tires (thanks to the advice in this forum) only to discover my tires were as old as the car!! Once I got new run flat tires (Michelin AS) and had a good alignment and whatever else they do, along with an oil change, my car has developed a better driving personality. Now, my next project is to change out the battery. I say Corvettes are kinda like a boat.. a lot of money in, but a lot of joy out! Congrats on your new baby, you are gonna love love love!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
plasticsman57
Cruising

Hi everyone who offered their help. Thank you very much.

Today I put the new tires on the car and did a front and read alignment. The tech's did hear the popping, but once put up on the rack they could not get the popping to occur.
Everything checked out fine under the car, and they thought I may be in the rack. They suggested continue driving it and monitor it. They said that there is no safety problems and it was good to go.

The tires and alignment did the trick on the floating, etc. It drove perfectly after the new tires and alignment.

Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by plasticsman57
Hi everyone who offered their help. Thank you very much.

Today I put the new tires on the car and did a front and read alignment. The tech's did hear the popping, but once put up on the rack they could not get the popping to occur.
Everything checked out fine under the car, and they thought I may be in the rack. They suggested continue driving it and monitor it. They said that there is no safety problems and it was good to go.

The tires and alignment did the trick on the floating, etc. It drove perfectly after the new tires and alignment.

Thanks again.
Congrats on getting your issues sorted out. (Now I sound like Wheeler Dealers ) The forum strikes again!!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Go with Non-Runflats

Also check the shocks to make sure they don't have the packing
blocks still in them.

You'd be surprised

Regards
Chip

Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM
plasticsman57
Cruising

I will check that also.

I have not heard the popping sounds since I got the car back. I don't know if something was not set properly, or if the car just needed driven since it only has 35K on it, and it's an 02. I don't know but the sound is gone for now. I will continue listening for it, to make sure it doesn't turn into something bad in time.

I LOVE driving this car, wow why did I wait so long to purchase one! lol

Thanks again everyone!!!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I'm really disappointed in my forum brothers for what they've ALL forgotten.....tsk tsk

"This thread is useless without pictures" !!

Post 'em up!! We wanna see!

Glad you got the problem fixed. My car "tramlined" badly for years and most said it was just the "wide tires"......NOT....it needed an alignment! Drives even more fantastic now!

Get notified of new replies

To First Vette and I have a problem, and I need some help.

Quick Reply: First Vette and I have a problem, and I need some help.