Sponsored by:

Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
M Kurz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Tires

I just got my C5 with standard tires and I am curious if I should put together a kit containing a scissors jack, Lug wrench, Tire Repair kit, small pliers and a compressor kit in case I hit a nail. I've been informed that AAA will change a SPARE but will not road-repair a flat.
I'd like to know what other long time Vette drivers have done-Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The jack won't fit under the car if the tire is flat.

Just put a small, 12v air compressor in your rear storage and leave it at that. Unless you have a blowout that will get you anywhere you need to go to fix the flat. If you have a blowout you'd have to call a tow-truck anyway, and that's the only thing you'd have to worry about as far as a flat tire goes.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 AM
M Kurz
Instructor

Thanks,Ed
Old 10-16-2013, 11:23 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

You don't carry a spare, so there's not much point of a jack and lug wrench.

Personally I carry a plug kit and a compressor in all my cars.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Here is what I carry just in case.
a 2X6 to drive up on, A mercedes scissors jack, 4 way lug wrench, plug kit, small compressor, assorted tools, flash light, AAA, Cell phone, I believe if I was to get a flat I would be able to get on the road again unless the tire is wasted.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's flat on bottom just turn it over so flat part is on top !
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I go the chemical route myself.

I really like the convenience of the spare tire in a can, I always had a few cans under the rear seat of the SUV when on vacation.

Space being what it is in the vette, I carry a bottle of tire slime and a 12 volt pump in a small kit with some gloves, etc.

I like that it is quick and easy, almost no effort. Some use a plug, but that requires you to find the hole and place the plug. Then you still have to place a flat patch over the plug, from the interior , but you do get a safe completed repair.

The slime downside is weight, from the fluid introduced into the tire. It only lasts for two years. You also have to be careful not to lose the valve core, removed to add the chemical. There is also no accepted flat repair protocol for chemical fixes.

I also carry a phone and a roadside assistance club card.

I also agree that a small pump to get you going is all you need
Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
M Kurz
Instructor

Default Chemical Fix for Flats

I've heard that the chemical used for tire repairs will mess up the pressure reading device inside the tire, any truth in this ?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by M Kurz
I've heard that the chemical used for tire repairs will mess up the pressure reading device inside the tire, any truth in this ?
If you're talking about the spare-tire-in-a-can stuff, yes, some can and some will. The some that can are water soluble but don't guarantee that they won't mess up a TPMS. I don't see the point myself. A portable air compressor will do the same and not damage your TPMS.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:37 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

A scissors jack of the right minimum height is not useless. I've got a scissors jack in the car that I tested for just such a problem.

I had one tire off during a tire rotation, and tested the fit. I rested the empty corner on a stack of wooden 2x12's, compressing the shock. With the front brake rotor off the ground by about an inch, I got the jack under the rail without any trouble. If you had to, you could use the far site on the same rail--for example, if the passenger's front tire was flat, you could use the jack under the passenger rear. The chassis is stiff enough to lift the entire side from one site.

Some of the cans of tire slime claim they're harmless to TPMS sensors and that claim is badged right on the can. Dunno that I'd trust a MIC manufacturer, though.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Here is what I carry just in case.
a 2X6 to drive up on, A mercedes scissors jack, 4 way lug wrench, plug kit, small compressor, assorted tools, flash light, AAA, Cell phone, I believe if I was to get a flat I would be able to get on the road again unless the tire is wasted.
Same here, instead of 2x6, I have the RV levelers that you can get at wally world.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:18 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
Some use a plug, but that requires you to find the hole and place the plug. Then you still have to place a flat patch over the plug, from the interior , but you do get a safe completed repair.
...a myth perpetuated by those who want to perform this repair for you
Old 10-16-2013, 08:58 PM
TheoZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M Kurz
I just got my C5 with standard tires and I am curious if I should put together a kit containing a scissors jack, Lug wrench, Tire Repair kit, small pliers and a compressor kit in case I hit a nail. I've been informed that AAA will change a SPARE but will not road-repair a flat.
I'd like to know what other long time Vette drivers have done-Thanks
All you need is the Slime kit with the plugs and tools, a two foot 2X4, and a pair of vice grips or big channel locks. If the tire is leaking fast enough for you to hear it, you can easily rotate the tire in position to pull the foreign object out. Then use the 2X4 as a lever to push the plug in and pull the tool out. You can do this in ten minutes wearing a tuxedo and not even get dirty. I have done it.

If it isn't leaking fast enough for you to easily hear or feel the leak the just pump it up and drive to a tire shop. You will probably be able to go several miles before you have to pump more air into it.

If you hit something big enough to destroy the tire you will need to call AAA. I really see no need to mess with a jack since you won't have a spare and, if it is a Z06, you can't put the dead tire into the trunk anyway.

Just my $0.02.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a kit, which consists of a AAA card and a cell phone. Watcha gonna do with a jack if you don't carry a spare?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by bobeast
I have a kit, which consists of a AAA card and a cell phone. Watcha gonna do with a jack if you don't carry a spare?
In some cases it is a lot easier to plug off the car....
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my spare tire: 1-800-400-4222
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,452 Likes on 14,055 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I carry a plug kit and an air compressor, along with a small tool box with pliers and other miscellaneous tools. I need to find a small scissors jack that has a very low minimum height. The jack would be handy if you have to raise the car to get to the puncture. I also carry emergency road service on my car insurance and have a cell phone with me at all times.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I always carry a cell phone if I have to call the Auto Club. Since there is no spare tire to install I won't call the Auto Club unless the only alternative is to be towed (on a flat bed truck only). That's why I wait to call so they don't send the wrong truck.
In case there is no signal or no need for the Auto Club, I carry the following items:
a Fix A Flat S430 Tire Inflator, a portable air compressor, a work light (battery clips), scissor jack, tire repair kit, several tools to use with the kit, jacking pucks, small water bottle (to check if no leaks after tire repair), T-hooks towing hooks and a tire pressure gauge.
If I go on a trip, I add a lug wrench, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, LifeHammer and Mobil 1

Get notified of new replies

To Flat Tires

Quick Reply: Flat Tires