Sponsored by:

Driver Seat show'n age- Passenger Not

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 AM
2redvettez
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Driver Seat show'n age- Passenger Not

I know, this is a stupid question, but here goes.

My drivers seat showing 16 yrs of age, passenger seat pretty much like new.

So, I quite sure I am not the only bloke to experience this issue. Here's the stupid part, is there any vendor in the market that will sell replacement seat skin (and Foam) for one seat?

Swear, I hate to touch the passenger seat, it is like most of the car, like new.......
Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue. I know of a couple used sets of foam for sale on the forum. I could buy it sell you one (split the cost)? My skin is pretty good on the driver's side but I consider replacement there as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

I have had the same thought as well, but my interior is light gray. Might do both though to make sure there is no color variation.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:45 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 2redvettez
I know, this is a stupid question, but here goes.

My drivers seat showing 16 yrs of age, passenger seat pretty much like new.

So, I quite sure I am not the only bloke to experience this issue. Here's the stupid part, is there any vendor in the market that will sell replacement seat skin (and Foam) for one seat?

Swear, I hate to touch the passenger seat, it is like most of the car, like new.......
I'm in the same boat. (2003 Anniversary Edition Convertible)

The driver's side shows obvious wear with worn outboard bolster stitching, squished seat back pad (foam), etc. Luckily, the seat cushion cover (skin) is in pretty good condition.

After some searching, I've found the OEM driver's side cover (skin) and outer seat pad (foam) which I'm going to replace. I'm contemplating replacing the seat cushion pad (foam) while I've got the seat out of the car.

Interestingly, the passenger site seat back cover (skin) is not available, only the driver's side.

I'll probably be ordering my stuff this week. It's cost me $175 for the seat back cover (2003 AE skin) $38 for the seat back pad (foam) & $95 for the seat cushion pad. (foam)

For searching out the part numbers, I go to http://parts.nalleygmc.com

See: Seat ASM/FRONT

You might need to change the MY.

Then, enlarge the drawing to find the list number, then go down the list to find the part.

For example, in the link above, the seat back cover (skin) is list number 15. Scrolling down the page to list item #15, shows the sport seat back is available in black, oak, pewter, red and shale for MY 2002-2004.

Seat back pad (foam) is list item #16 and is for MY 1999-2004.

Seat cushion cover is list item #11 and is available in black, oak, pewter, red and shale for MY 1999-2004. Seat cushion pad is item #12 for MY 2003-2004.

The best prices on this kind of stuff is from GMPartsDirect.com

Click on the list item link, then get the part number and search GMPartsDirect.com for the best price.

Last edited by DanSavage; 10-15-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage
Interestingly, the passenger site seat back cover (skin) is not available, only the driver's side.
Ok, I'll bite: why would the skins and foam be different part #s between driver and passenger side? The (awkward IMHO) placement of the back release almost makes it look like the designers intended them to be interchangeable.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Ok, I'll bite: why would the skins and foam be different part #s between driver and passenger side? The (awkward IMHO) placement of the back release almost makes it look like the designers intended them to be interchangeable.
I believe the foam is interchangeable. In looking at the parts list on Nalley GMC, both driver's and passenger's seat pad (foam) is the same part.

I just looked at my seats and I found the seat back covers (skins) are different. Here's how:

Both seats have an inboard and outboard bolster. Inboard is on the side closest to the tunnel and the outboard is closest to the door.

Each bolster has an inner and outer face. The inner face is on the inside of the seat and the outer face is on the outside of the seat.

On both seats, the outer face of the inboard bolster is fabric and the outer face of the outboard bolster is leather.

So, if you put a driver's side seat back cover (skin) on the passenger side, the outer face of the bolster facing the door will be fabric, not leather.

Last edited by DanSavage; 10-15-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I just looked at my seats and I found the seat back covers (skins) are different. Here's how:
On both seats, the outer face of the inboard bolster is fabric and the outer face of the outboard bolster is leather.

So, if you put a driver's side seat back cover (skin) on the passenger side, the outer face of the bolster facing the door will be fabric, not leather.
Huh. I was sort of expecting something like that, but when I looked at mine before, I was looking at the seat bottom skins (leather on both sides) rather than the backs, so I missed it completely.

The odd thing is that it seems like it would make more sense to have the fabric bit on the inboard seat bottom, where it rubs against the seatbelt socket cover, rather than on the seat back, where it rubs against, well, nothing.

I'm guessing the aftermarket skins are not left/right-handed, right? (Or at least not so it's obvious in the photos I've seen posted.)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you guys leave your cars out in the sun all day? My seats look almost new after more than 12 years and I drive my car to work (on average) 3 times per week. Of course, when at work, my car is covered.

$175 for a leather seat back cover is very inexpensive. I've seen leather seat back covers for Miatas that cost $700.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

It's difficult to tell what the difference might be, but the seat cushion pad and covers all have separate part numbers and prices for the driver's and passenger sides.

The only thing I can think is that the OEM seat cushion covers (skins) already have the holes for the control panel.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave68
Do you guys leave your cars out in the sun all day? My seats look almost new after more than 12 years and I drive my car to work (on average) 3 times per week. Of course, when at work, my car is covered.

$175 for a leather seat back cover is very inexpensive. I've seen leather seat back covers for Miatas that cost $700.
It looks like my car was left out in the sun by the PO. I don't know if it was covered or not. I use a cockpit cover now when I'm at work or when I'm not driving it.

The condition of the leather, itself is in good condition. It's just the outer bolster foam and skin on the driv'er seat that's taken a beating.

Keep in mind that the $175 seat back cover is just for the outer halo of the sport seat. The insert cover and pad would be an additional cost. Since mine is in good shape, I'm not going to replace those pieces.

Still, I'm happy I'm able to replace just the pieces I need and not have to buy non-OEM covers.

Last edited by DanSavage; 10-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
I'm guessing the aftermarket skins are not left/right-handed, right? (Or at least not so it's obvious in the photos I've seen posted.)
The photos on Vette Essentials tutorial seem to show the seat parts are interchangeable.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM
0GmPartsDirect.com
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello 2redvettez,

Should you be interesed in purchasing new, please keep us in mind. All you need to do is visit https://secure.gmpartsdirect.com/sec...1B6580B7023E8C
and send in your VIN along with a brief description of the parts you are looking for.

Thanks,
M.Williams
GmPartsDirect.com
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GmPartsDirect.com
Hello 2redvettez,

Should you be interesed in purchasing new...

Thanks,
M.Williams
GmPartsDirect.com
Do you accept paypal?

NVM. I just looked at your web site and see that you do.

As soon as I hear back from F.Norton RE: my latest question, I'll be ready to order my seat parts.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM
0GmPartsDirect.com
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you accept paypal?

NVM. I just looked at your web site and see that you do.

As soon as I hear back from F.Norton RE: my latest question, I'll be ready to order my seat parts.

Hello DanSavage,

Awesome! We really appreciate your business. Should there be anything I can further assist you with or if you hit any speed bumps along the road please let me know, and I will assist you in anyway I can.

Best Regards,
M.Williams
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Pick up more women and they'll wear the same.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GmPartsDirect.com
Hello DanSavage,

Awesome! We really appreciate your business. Should there be anything I can further assist you with or if you hit any speed bumps along the road please let me know, and I will assist you in anyway I can.

Best Regards,
M.Williams
Got the parts ordered last week. Now I'm just waiting for the big brown truck to deliver them.

Thanks again.

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Seat show'n age- Passenger Not

Quick Reply: Driver Seat show'n age- Passenger Not