Sponsored by:

Need Advice Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Reeves
Exact same as mine. I am surprised it was still running given how your retainer is at the bottom of the spring. That indicates that the valve has dropped ALOT. Here's hoping you do not have major damage although I cannot see how you couldn't at this point. Also check to see if you still have coolant in the radiator. If not its in the oil pan.
As long as the valve is still in the guide it "MIGHT" be ok. If it dropped into the cylinder, it's TOAST. I'd throw a new spring on it and do a compression/leakdown test on that cylinder. If it was OK, I'd start it and if that was OK, I'd change all the springs ASAP.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Eric Reeves
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I think you would be remiss not taking out the spark plug and looking in the cylinder with a camera prior to changing a spring and firing it up. That is how I found the damage. At that point I noticed that my tank was empty and thought I should have noticed that first.

The valve really does not have any room to "drop" without hitting the piston. We are talking mm here. That pic looks like a good 1/4in drop. But I am looking at a pic.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Atrain59
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Car is back up and running. We pulled the head and everything was fine replaced the springs with Brain Tooley Dual valve springs, MSD Wires, NGK TR6 plugs and some Nitto Invo 285/35/18 up front and 325/35/19 in the rear. She is back on the streets and up for sale.

Quick Reply: Need Advice Help!!!