Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump GAHT-IT

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 PM
GAHT-IT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump GAHT-IT

Is it normal to have a fuel pump "surge" as you drive or stop at a light etc?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:36 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Could be several items causing the surge. Several things come to mind. First guess would be either fuel filter or a vacuum leak. A fuel filter needing replacement would show signs of surging if not completely clogged up as it would not allow the full amount of fuel required to run properly. I'd think a vacuum leak would be more likely if you only notice the surging at low rpms. More air is coming into your engine via the leak, so the computer makes up for the A/F ratio by adding some fuel, causing the surge. I did engine mods last summer and had this surging issue. Checked several times before I found the problem which in my case, I had two injectors that weren't sealing properly, allowing extra air to enter. Corrected that item and the problem has been resolved. I'd suppose a briefly intermittant fuel pump could cause the surging but pretty unlikely. Also, just to be positive for all things, check your codes on your DIC and see if any other issues might be causing this as well. For most of us, checking codes is a simple process and only takes a few minutes but has a wealth of information. Good luck.
Here's how to get your codes if you're not familiar with the process:
http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php
And here's a thread to help you out with many, many items on our C5s....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ould-have.html
Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Could be several items causing the surge. Several things come to mind. First guess would be either fuel filter or a vacuum leak. A fuel filter needing replacement would show signs of surging if not completely clogged up as it would not allow the full amount of fuel required to run properly. I'd think a vacuum leak would be more likely if you only notice the surging at low rpms. More air is coming into your engine via the leak, so the computer makes up for the A/F ratio by adding some fuel, causing the surge. I did engine mods last summer and had this surging issue. Checked several times before I found the problem which in my case, I had two injectors that weren't sealing properly, allowing extra air to enter. Corrected that item and the problem has been resolved. I'd suppose a briefly intermittant fuel pump could cause the surging but pretty unlikely. Also, just to be positive for all things, check your codes on your DIC and see if any other issues might be causing this as well. For most of us, checking codes is a simple process and only takes a few minutes but has a wealth of information. Good luck.
Here's how to get your codes if you're not familiar with the process:
http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php
And here's a thread to help you out with many, many items on our C5s....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ould-have.html

hmmm i have similar symptoms, but intermittently when coming to a stop or at low RPM i get a surge...goes away tho if i hold it in idle, but at the same time it might just be cause of my cam? what do you suggest?
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Kreeess
hmmm i have similar symptoms, but intermittently when coming to a stop or at low RPM i get a surge...goes away tho if i hold it in idle, but at the same time it might just be cause of my cam? what do you suggest?
That was my symptom as well. The cam shouldn't do it by itself. I could also make mine stop if I gave it just the slightest bit of throttle. Could be several things.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Kreeess
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CactusCat
That was my symptom as well. The cam shouldn't do it by itself. I could also make mine stop if I gave it just the slightest bit of throttle. Could be several things.
Let me know what u come out with.. I have no codes right now so idk what it could be... Fuel filter was changed 15k ago idk if that's due for a change or what...

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump GAHT-IT

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump GAHT-IT