Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Transmission fluid Change

Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
T&C Conv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission fluid Change

I have a small leak in my 2002 and want to top it off until I can get it fixed. I searched the forum and found a procedure out of the "GM manual" on checking it and have some questions.

It says the temp should be 86 to 122 degrees F. In the summer, thats room temp so the concept of warming up the car seems to not be needed. It says to run the car and shift through all the gears and leave the car in nuetral and check the level at the "check/fill plug on the LH side of the transmission oil pan". This makes sense in that most of the fluid is up in the running transmission and the oil in the pan is the "reserve" if you will. This would be the amount the pan holds.

First conflict is that the instructions say it is a 10mm allen plug. Mine has a 13/16 bolt type plug. Second, several threads indicate that the fill plug is also the temp sending unit. And another indicates the fill plug is a 11mm plug on the passenger side about 3" up from the pan.

Does the hex bolt style plug indicate that someone changed the factory plug? Is there a seperate "fill" plug other than the plug on the drivers side of the pan? What procedure do other use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Transmission fluid Change