Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heating & cooling control acting weird?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heating & cooling control acting weird?

This has been happening for the last few months. The heating and cooling is acting weird, sometimes it works fine, then next time I can't turn it off or adjust the temperature for the driver's side. Then the defroster works then doesn't.. comes and goes. So the big question, do I just replace the control panel of this unit or am I looking at some other electrical gremlin here... Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

With that many things happening in the one unit it sounds like a short to me. Have you checked the DIC to see if any codes have popped up when those things happened?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

No DIC error codes being displayed... Just weird controls.. Works today, not tomorrow. I see on Ebay the control boards for around $160. But they are rebuilds and talk about burnt out lights and or switches.. Just wondering if any body had this kind of problem and if a rebuilt control panel fixed it...

Note: When it works, it works fine all switches, when it fails, some switches stop, can't adjust the temp. but all lights are on, but switches just don't work... like I said, weird.. Starting the trouble shooting now I guess.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Have you checked the connector where it plugs into the wiring harness? E.T. would be the best person to troubleshoot this; I'm just taking shots in the dark.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 PM
utfan356
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked under the battery for corrosion? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be battery acid that had eaten a vacuum hose.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

I checked under the battery last month, all is well there but I'll check again. The battery is only two years old and should be in good shape. I'll hook it up to a batt. tender this week and see if anything changes.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Update, haven't identified where the short is but I believe it to be water related. This weekend, it rained hard in Napa, vette got very wet and the control board acted weird. Today all is dry and I checked below the battery, no corrosion all is clean. Control board works fine now, all is working.... again no error on the DIC.. Ok, so I have a C5 that is not RAIN approved... Great.. back to square one... thanks for all of your input guys. If you hear anything that might help, pass it on... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Get notified of new replies

To Heating & cooling control acting weird?

Quick Reply: Heating & cooling control acting weird?