Denso Plugs (Japan)???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Default Denso Plugs (Japan)???

So I bought my 01 coupe in April 12 with 32k. Purchased from second owner who had all the original docs and maintenance records. Changing of plugs and wires was not listed, and with 100k recommendation why would they, right?. I have 43k on her now, and after 12 years I decided it was time, if nothing else due to age. I bought Champion Iridiums and MSD red wires from GMPARTSHOUSE and went at it today. Other than #8 PIA everything went pretty smooth. Several of the OEM wires crumbled at the base of the boots while being extracted so it was definitely time for them to go. When I pulled the first plug I was really kind of shocked to find this Denso (Japan) part. WTF??? Fully expecting AC-Delcos!!??? Did they put these in at the factory?? I never even heard of a Denso???. Please dont tell me they are a leading brand used in Toyots and Nissans?!?!?

Anyway these plugs also showed visible wear although not wasted by any means. Glad I got them out of there though!.. I dont know why its bugging me so much...just hoping someone changed them and they weren't installed in the factory...but I fear that is false hope!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

http://www.densoiridium.com/

Kind of like a so called *performance* plug offered.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
I never even heard of a Denso???. (
denso is the OE plug in the z06 should have a number like 12563707 on it

probably the best spark plug manufacturer in the world, well, toss up between them and NGK

the quality control at denso and materials used are absolutely top notch. the new ac delco 41-110 plug has either directly copied the denso electrode design or IS using denso parts to assemble the plugs

remember delco often has various manufacturers make their parts and denso is one of the largest OE suppliers on the planet

their aftermarket gear is also stellar. it performs and doesn't easily fail.

it's almost funny to me that you would question denso and then use the words "msd wires" in the same sentence

Last edited by racebum; 09-22-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 AM
zonsolo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum

probably the best spark plug manufacturer in the world, well, toss up between them and NGK

the quality control at denso and materials used are absolutely top notch. the new ac delco 41-110 plug has either directly copied the denso electrode design or IS using denso parts to assemble the plugs

remember delco often has various manufacturers make their parts and denso is one of the largest OE suppliers on the planet

it's almost funny to me that you would question denso and then use the words "msd wires" in the same sentence
Yes, Denso plugs are by far and away the best plugs I've seen out there. The engine OEM that I rep uses nothing but double iridium denso's. Those plugs are $250.00/each (these are industrial engines, not automotive), and are leaps and bounds above the champion, etc. alternatives.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Well excuse me! The parts I bought were recommended by one of the most widely loved vendors on this forum. I use MSD wires on my C3 383 and never had a problem so Im not sure what your beef is there. As per my post, I'd never heard of Denso!! Maybe Im an old guy thats been living under a rock whatever, but I pay attention enough to know these are not in north american automotive advertising, unless maybe its in ricer rags, which I don't read. I just thought it was strange they put a clearly marked made in Japan part in a new 2001 Corvette.

So you got some data to back up your claim on them being the "best"?? ....and MSD wires being "Bad"?....or is this all just your opinion??
Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I personally have never used MSD wires but recently I asked Forum members their experience with MSD wires. I got many replies stating about wire failures from people who used the MSD wires. It could be a contributing factor as to why they have recently filed for bankruptcy. As far as Denso is concerned I have been aware of them for years. They make reliable, quality parts. I believe they even make some components for Harley-Davidson if my memory serves me correctly. I've used the wires from LG Motorsport with good results, they heat insulation woven right into the wires.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by striper
I personally have never used MSD wires but recently I asked Forum members their experience with MSD wires. I got many replies stating about wire failures from people who used the MSD wires. It could be a contributing factor as to why they have recently filed for bankruptcy. As far as Denso is concerned I have been aware of them for years. They make reliable, quality parts. I believe they even make some components for Harley-Davidson if my memory serves me correctly. I've used the wires from LG Motorsport with good results, they heat insulation woven right into the wires.
Thanks striper!! I searched and found your thread. More good opinions than bad it seems. Only one critique had any facts (Corrosion after a couple of years) the rest just subjective opinions as far as I can tell. Now that they are installed, I guess I just watch them and form my own subjective opinion!

As far as the Denso's go, thanks for the info and link to those who provided. I see people criticizing me for not knowing who they are, but also so ZERO recommendations for them in the many "What plug should I use" threads that I found. Seems the NGK's are the most popular by far, but I got the Champs from GMPARTSHOUSE and also use Champs in the C3. So I go with what I know until they give me reason not too.

Last edited by CheezMoe; 09-22-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:32 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to living under "rocks" dosoctaves, nice and cool in the shade huh!

We dumb-asses learn new things every day

You ask about Denso plugs.
They are an excellent premium spark plug.
Have used them for years in Australia and here in the USA.
Was first introduced to them 30 years ago when I was an auto mechanic, on all the premium Japanese cars, and high performance ones.

Denso, NGK, etc all produce a quality plug. Spark plugs like everything else have their applications.

Plug wires, time for another myriad of conflicting recommendations ............
Old 09-22-2013, 02:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Thanks striper!! I searched and found your thread. More good opinions than bad it seems. Only one critique had any facts (Corrosion after a couple of years) the rest just subjective opinions as far as I can tell. Now that they are installed, I guess I just watch them and form my own subjective opinion!

As far as the Denso's go, thanks for the info and link to those who provided. I see people criticizing me for not knowing who they are, but also so ZERO recommendations for them in the many "What plug should I use" threads that I found. Seems the NGK's are the most popular by far, but I got the Champs from GMPARTSHOUSE and also use Champs in the C3. So I go with what I know until they give me reason not too.
most of what you'll get is opinion. what forms it is trying various brands over the years and keeping a mental note of what works.

with myself i remember msd wires leaking energy creating a misfire on an older engine that was leaking a bit of oil. where oil touched the wire you could see blue lights at night

with denso i think about what the OE plugs in my z06 looked like after 10 years, i think about my old turbo honda and i think about my jeep. all were absolutely perfect. same with the denso spark plug wires. perfect clip fit, length, ohms are +- 1% in a set. every part, rather it's an o2 sensor, spark wire, plug or alternator that i've used from denso has been stellar
Old 09-22-2013, 04:36 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by OKZ06
http://www.densoiridium.com/

Kind of like a so called *performance* plug offered.
Not "offered". They were OE on many, if not all C5s; at least for the first several year models. They were OE on my '99 and most of them also had the "missing" pucks that so many complained about when I changed them at about 50-60K.

I'm presently using one of those other "terrible" brands and they work well in my little stocker motor.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:15 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Not "offered". They were OE on many, if not all C5s; at least for the first several year models. They were OE on my '99 and most of them also had the "missing" pucks that so many complained about when I changed them at about 50-60K.

I'm presently using one of those other "terrible" brands and they work well in my little stocker motor.
denso still makes plugs for the ls1/6

new part number is 5325

they also list another which is 5090

got me what the difference is between those two

i just doubt many people use them when the ac delco 41-110 is only $5.69 shipped via amazon
Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 AM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strike at GM caused the switch of spark plugs

It was because of a strike, not because Denso was a "better" spark plug. GM started putting them in all (some)GM cars and trucks if the supply of Delco plugs didn't keep up with demand during and after the strike. I remember it well. Read the story:

In 1998, fearing a strike over a $200 million investment that had not materialized, GM began to pull critical dies from the Flint Metal Fab plant on the other side of town, to be shipped to another plant. The UAW workers at the plant immediately went on strike to protest the move. Mostly in response to this, but also because of fears that their own work would be moved elsewhere, workers at Flint East went on strike a week later on June 11, 1998. Since Flint East was the sole source of some parts for almost the entire company, within two weeks, virtually all of General Motors was shut down. On July 28, GM agreed to the investment to Flint Metal Fab and to keep Flint East open until at least 2000. The union agreed to cooperate on efforts to increase productivity at both plants.[5] The strike cost GM an estimated US$2.8 billion.[1]
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by lt1george
It was because of a strike, not because Denso was a "better" spark plug. GM started putting them in all (some)GM cars and trucks if the supply of Delco plugs didn't keep up with demand during and after the strike. I remember it well. Read the story:

In 1998, fearing a strike over a $200 million investment that had not materialized, GM began to pull critical dies from the Flint Metal Fab plant on the other side of town, to be shipped to another plant. The UAW workers at the plant immediately went on strike to protest the move. Mostly in response to this, but also because of fears that their own work would be moved elsewhere, workers at Flint East went on strike a week later on June 11, 1998. Since Flint East was the sole source of some parts for almost the entire company, within two weeks, virtually all of General Motors was shut down. On July 28, GM agreed to the investment to Flint Metal Fab and to keep Flint East open until at least 2000. The union agreed to cooperate on efforts to increase productivity at both plants.[5] The strike cost GM an estimated US$2.8 billion.[1]
strike in 1998 affects spark plugs in z06s that didn't even begin until 2001 and carried the same denso plug until 2004

must have been one long strike

let's see here...ahhh Section 6-76 Corvette Specs..............STANDARD plug for Zo6, Denso PTJ16R15

the strike might of had something to do with why it started in the 90s but they never changed back.

Last edited by racebum; 09-23-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:19 AM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm surprised the OP never heard of Denso products, used on various hi end vehicles and NGK is also Japanese.
It's OE on my C5Z and '11 Lexus RX 350.
It's a global economy, the OP maybe surprised that there are parts on the C5 from many international suppliers and what is wrong with
Toyota's (Lexus's) or Nissan's (Infinity's)?

Last edited by tak06; 09-23-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Denso makes TONS of automotive products. AC compressors, filters, spark plugs, o2 sensors, fuel injectors, fuel pump, coils, MAFs, etc etc. And BTW, you beloved Champion plugs are made in Mexico, as are the AC Delcos.

The reason the NGK TR55s are always the recommended plugs is because they're cheap, easy to find, and generally good quality. They've been hyped up a bit and now everybody's on the band wagon. I use them as well. But realistically, any plug you buy at the part store, as long as it's not defective and it's gapped properly, will run the same in the car. I've run NGK, Bosch, Champions, Autolite, and AC Delco in a variety of cars, and they're all operate the same. Maybe longevity will differ slightly, but not by any significant amount IMO. Plugs are cheap and easy enough to change that a few thousand miles here and there doesn't bother me much.

My $0.02.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by onspeed
The reason the NGK TR55s are always the recommended plugs is because they're cheap, easy to find, and generally good quality. They've been hyped up a bit and now everybody's on the band wagon. I use them as well.
I think the NGK hype has a lot to do with monkey-see, monkey-do. A few people like or use them and more and more then blindly follow suit because someone else (their buddy/magazine article/big name tuner) is using them, etc. NGK does in fact, make some good product, but waay too many people worshiping at their altar based on what someone posted/said/recommended.

Originally Posted by onspeed
But realistically, any plug you buy at the part store, as long as it's not defective and it's gapped properly, will run the same in the car. I've run NGK, Bosch, Champions, Autolite, and AC Delco in a variety of cars, and they're all operate the same. Maybe longevity will differ slightly, but not by any significant amount IMO. Plugs are cheap and easy enough to change that a few thousand miles here and there doesn't bother me much.

My $0.02.
I completely agree.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM
burbleflyer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

In my previous life as motorcycle mechanic (20 years) I have installed literally tens of thousands of NGK plugs with not one failure.

The first Champion plug I ever touched, literally fell apart when I put a wrench on it. The insulator crumbled off the electrode. It was not uncommon for Champion spark plugs to be bad right out of the box. The gaps were certainly something that needed to be set. The gaps on NGK plugs were usually very close or spot on as delivered.

I wouldn't use a Champion plug in anything but lawn equipment.

Get notified of new replies

To Denso Plugs (Japan)???

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burbleflyer
In my previous life as motorcycle mechanic (20 years) I have installed literally tens of thousands of NGK plugs with not one failure.

The first Champion plug I ever touched, literally fell apart when I put a wrench on it. The insulator crumbled off the electrode. It was not uncommon for Champion spark plugs to be bad right out of the box. The gaps were certainly something that needed to be set. The gaps on NGK plugs were usually very close or spot on as delivered.

I wouldn't use a Champion plug in anything but lawn equipment.
Been using them for 40 years, never a problem.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FLZapped
Been using them for 40 years, never a problem.
I have always used either Champion or AC-Delco. I'll have to write off my non-familiarity with denso as being sheltered all my performance car experience prior to this C5 was classic Chevy stuff and that is the hobby I follow for the most part.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep my eye on the MSD's. As previously stated the densos were visibibly worn with 43k on them. While age certainbly factored into the brittle wires, not relevant to plug wear. And I will comment that after changing these the car is noticeably smoother and more repsosnsive. Took a 125 mile trip into town to visit friend in the hospital yesterday. DIC avg MPG went up from 21.6 to 22.4. it's never been >22 before. So far so good!

One correction I will make to my OP, is that I purchased the plugs and wires from ZIP. not GMPARTSHOUSE.

peace!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 PM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

On behalf of the OP, I too at the age of 74 and having a long time experience with stock car racing and backyard auto repair have never heard the name "DENSO" in my life.
My $,02
Fred

Quick Reply: Denso Plugs (Japan)???