Sponsored by:

Rythmatic Viberation??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rythmatic Viberation??

I know that typically means a wheel is out of balance...but thought i'd check anyhow as i had the wheels balanced about six months ago.... It seems like it's coming from the rear and at 50mph it is every half second or so. Not really how else to descibe it rather than a viberation!!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:03 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

It doesn't seem to be suspension related, but I can't help but think it has to be tire related - - perhaps it's thrown a wheel weight? Do you see any kind of abnormal tire wear?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:10 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Originally Posted by CQRT
It doesn't seem to be suspension related, but I can't help but think it has to be tire related - - perhaps it's thrown a wheel weight? Do you see any kind of abnormal tire wear?
I haven't noticed any, but I'm likely going to take the wheels off this weekend and have them rebalanced just for piece of mind.

like you tire related was my immediate thought but just had new tires put on and balanced six months back!!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
tjcvett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the same problem for the past 2 years. Changed tires and have had the alignment done twice, still have the problem. Check others, they've changed wheels, rotors and more and still have the viberation. If you figure it out, please share your findings.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:16 PM
sbulla
Racer

Count me in as one who has the problem. I call it a pulsating vibration. Very slight and comes and goes every few seconds.

Sonny
Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
2002redvette
Intermediate

Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean a rhythmic vibration?

Maybe your car suffers from rhythmatism

To be serious I've had warped rotors that caused a pulsating vibration, but only under braking.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a problem like this and it turned out to be a tire was out of round. I had the tires balanced several times before I discovered what the problem. They could get it close but under certain conditions it would vibrate or bounce. My tire was over a 1/2" out of round.

The guys that balanced the tires should have seen it but they put a shroud over the wheel and tire while they spin it. They really don't look at the tires while they spin them either so now, every time I get a set of tires for any car I look to see if the tread runs true and that the tire is round. If either is even a little off I won't accept the tire.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMikeWmike
I know that typically means a wheel is out of balance...but thought i'd check anyhow as i had the wheels balanced about six months ago.... It seems like it's coming from the rear and at 50mph it is every half second or so. Not really how else to descibe it rather than a viberation!!
Originally Posted by sbulla
Count me in as one who has the problem. I call it a pulsating vibration. Very slight and comes and goes every few seconds.

Sonny
You guys aren't the only ones with this issue!!! Before you start tearing things apart to find the issue go get your wheels/tires road force balanced. This usually solves the issue for 90% of people. If problem isn't solved, may have a tire out of round, or bad wheel. After that check suspension components and linkages. Finally if everything checks out more then likely it can be your drive shaft coupler. They tend to wear after "x" amount of miles. PITA to do...
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I too have the issue, thanks for the good info
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Originally Posted by STALION
You guys aren't the only ones with this issue!!! Before you start tearing things apart to find the issue go get your wheels/tires road force balanced. This usually solves the issue for 90% of people. If problem isn't solved, may have a tire out of round, or bad wheel. After that check suspension components and linkages. Finally if everything checks out more then likely it can be your drive shaft coupler. They tend to wear after "x" amount of miles. PITA to do...
Good info!!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

sounds like a bent wheel. exact same thing happened to me. got the wheel fixed and good as new.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Burgie
Pro

Had the same problem on a 98. Had the wheels balanced and the problem persisted. Took it in and had a Hunter Road Forced balance and while the severity of the imbalance was reduced, the problem was still there. Finally I told the tech if need be, place some of the weights on the outside of the wheel and the problem went away. Apparently the width of the inner wheel and placement of the weights (stick on) sometimes set up a dynamic/harmonic imbalance which causes the rhythmic vibration. I don't like the look of weights attached to the outside of the wheel, but I do like the smooth non-rhythmic ride it offers. Food for thought-worked for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Rythmatic Viberation??

Quick Reply: Rythmatic Viberation??