Sponsored by:

TPMS help, please... Godzilla magnets and no joy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Default TPMS help, please... Godzilla magnets and no joy

I've got a 03 c5 z06. Today I just paid to have the GM monkey activate the TPMS monitor in my PCM.

I have five sensors in my hand, four of which I intend to install on the wheels and then have tires mounted. I used an 8" speaker magnet and attempted to train the sensors without any success. Suspecting the magnet out of caution, I went to Radio Shack and bought two of the strongest magnets they say they stock. These magnets each measure 1-1/2 x 1/2 x 7/16" and are strong enough to attract each other when they're 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 inches apart on a wooden table top (it's not nearly as slick as a formica top might be). Still no success.

I followed this set of instructions:

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Press the DIC RESET button in order to clear any warning messages.
Press and release the OPTIONS button until the display is blank.
Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.

Important
If the DIC does not display the TIRE TRAINING message, ensure the TPM option is enabled in the RCDLR. Refer to Scan Tool Output Controls .

Press and release the OPTIONS button until TIRE TRAINING is displayed.
Press and release the RESET button and LEARN L FRONT TIRE is displayed, verifying the mode has been enabled.

Important
If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the sensor activating tool.

Starting at the left front sensor, hold the J 41760 over the valve stem until a horn chirp sounds.
After the horn chirp sounds, proceed as in step 7 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right front
Right rear
Left rear
Turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode.
I've read through several troubleshooting threads about the subject; I'm pretty sure the magnets are strong enough, but I'll wait for you all to judge that.

When I first turn the ignition on, the initial message on the DIC is:

"Corvette... by Chevrolet" and then the oil temperature is shown (because of course, I have that chosen from the "Gauges" option from the right-side buttons). With the oil temperature displayed, I press the "RESET" button as instructed in order to clear any DIC codes (after the ignition has been turned on). Nothing happens (even when I hold the button down). Is something supposed to happen (or should I wait for something) before I go to the next step and press the OPTIONS button to scroll through to "TIRE TRAINING" mode?

With the exception of complete inactivity on the display when I press the RESET button (to clear any existing DIC codes), everything seems to progress just as the quoted instructions say they should, except that the magnets won't trigger the horn with the display set to "L FRONT TIRE". The display just sits forever, without the horn beeping.

Would someone kindly post a picture of how to hold the magnets against the sensor unit? I've tried to hold the magnet(s) in lots of different configurations:

1) aligned against the stem vertically; with the stem sandwiched by two vertical magnets
2) under the sensor itself (the black side)
3) on top of the sensor (where the badging is)
4) with the sensor sandwiched between two magnets...

The magnets are strong enough that I can move the second magnet without touching it even when it's 'sandwiched'.

Any ideas and advice would sure be appreciated about now.

Thank you!

Last edited by dork; 09-10-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Take it to the Driver Side Rear Wheel and try and set it there

That is where the relay sensor is

Peace
Chip

Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM
dork
Drifting

RATS. Nothing's worked...

Thanks very much for your help, Chip and 8Vette7, I really do appreciate it.

I used a FLUKE multi-meter and tested the battery at 12.87 volts; and with the CTEK on it, it measures 14.13 (which is the way it was set up when I tried to set the sensors).

The video helped; I can now see that the RESET button does clear the DIC when I leave the door open and force the "door ajar" message to clear itself.

I re-initiated the TIRE TRAINING/LEARN L FRONT TIRE session 15 times; once for each of the 5 sensors I have, at three locations--from the driver's seat, resting on top of the driver's rear tire, and from against the wall of the 'wheel tub' inside the trunk. I have a small 3" ring magnet and added my two strong Radio Shack magnets to either side of the ring and slid it down the stem as shown in the YouTube video, for all 3 of the sites I mentioned without any success.

Do you think the magnets could be too weak? I can't believe that, but I think the odds are much worse that 5 brand new sensors are all faulty. (They were from GMpartsDirect.com)

I read somewhere that someone who'd had similar frustrations gave up and just mounted the tires with the sensors and tried again after a short drive and supposedly that worked for him.

It doesn't make sense to me, and I'd hate to pay the mounting and balancing costs to find out the sensors won't work.

Any other ideas, please?

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Did they send you the correct Year?

Chip
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 PM
dork
Drifting

Thanks again, Guys.

Yes, they sent the right part; for a 2003, they're AC/Delco 25773946s.

8, I'll try tapping them tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed. It'd be nice if it was that easy. When the roller is "unstuck", can you hear it rattle?

I'm gonna go to the (Goodyear and Firestone) tire dealers tomorrow and see if they'll show me their magnets. Maybe I can gauge the strength of theirs vs. mine.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting them to program to the car. I had a problem with mine after I put new tires on the car last year. I have programmed sensors before with no issues but these just wouldn't sync. I was even using the GM tool for the programming. Finally gave up and took the car into the local dealership and asked them to give it a try. Tech came out, took his magnet to the car and they sync'd right up. Guess I didn't have the right touch. Only took him a couple of minutes and they did not charge me for the programming.

If all else fails, take it to your dealer and see if they can get it to program.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the manufacture date? the batteries in them could be dead
Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Here is a couple of thoughts. First, you might try driving for a while and then try to reset the monitors. I have read in some threads they seem to sync up easier after some driving.

Second, it could be a problem with the receiver that takes the signal from the TPM and sends it to the DIC. It also operates the dooor locks from the key fob signal.

I know that places like Discount Tire also have the tool that is supposed to reset them. You could always try there. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Damn, that dude is good looking...
Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Paul Huizenga
Damn, that dude is good looking...
That is funny, I get it...lol
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

When I bought new tires and sensors I programed them in the drivers seat with out issue and marked them for what wheel they were to go to. Your magnets should work just fine and it looks like you have the correct sensors.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 PM
0TitanTPMS
Former Vendor

sounds like you might have too many sensors around and the car is confused by what its trying to learn. Most sensors need to under pressure to learn to the car! The magnet you have should work!

You can have a shop with a scan tool read the sensors to see if they are transmitting?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Why would that be???

Sensors that are not rolling typically are in sleep mode and transmit only once per hour. The magnet is meant to wake them up and force them to transmit. Unless he is holding the magnet to all the sensors at the same time, only the one close to the magnet should wake up and transmit?

Also it is a common practice for the DIY'ers like Mr Bill in post #13 and many others to program new sensors in the drivers seat to verify that they will program befor mounting in wheels only to find out 1 or more is bad.
I agree, Mine programmed without pressure just fine with out any issues, They were new sensors for my 2002.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM
0TitanTPMS
Former Vendor

You are correct! But it sound like we are having problems with that way of doing things. SO to eliminate potential problems which he is definitely haven here. 1. Elemente the old sensors from and around the vehicle. This could interfere with the learning of the new sensors!!!
2. Make sure you are doing the relearn procedure correctly and in a timely manner.
The new sensors could be bad or not transmitting as mickey_7106 said! You can take them to a tire shop and have the sensors scanned with tool and it would tell you if they are transmitting.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM
dork
Drifting

Also it is a common practice for the DIY'ers like Mr Bill in post #13 and many others to program new sensors in the drivers seat to verify that they will program befor mounting in wheels only to find out 1 or more is bad.
That was my goal, too. I've tried tapping them to wake them up, and if the batteries are good, they're sleeping. Both Firestone and Goodyear (the only available tire distributors in my little town) have said they have the scan tool and can go through the synching process after I mount the tires and wheels on my car and bring it in. I don't know what the build date is on the sensors, and didn't know until right this minute that I could get them scanned to see if they're transmitting. (I didn't see the posts after 8Vette7's until I got back home from dropping the tires/wheels off.)

This will be the first set of sensors ever on this car; it's a z06 and the TPMS program was only initiated yesterday. That is to say, there are no old sensors around to confuse the receiver, so if there's a transmitting issue, it's only one-way with all 5 of my sensors. Of course I'm only gonna mount 4, but I'm at 100% failure rate... fortunately, I usually do good on the BIG things.

But it's sure aggravating...
Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

OK, the Z06 does not have the BCM programmed for TPMS. Some one with a tech 2 will need to reprogram it for you.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

"Important
If the DIC does not display the TIRE TRAINING message, ensure the TPM option is enabled in the RCDLR. Refer to Scan Tool Output Controls "

I suspect he didn't really activate them.
If they are activated, they should display the correct message for training. I'd take it back to him since he was paid to do the job.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS help, please... Godzilla magnets and no joy

Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 AM
dork
Drifting

I think that if you read sentence 1 of the first post, he has done that. He says PCM but the info on RPO's for the TPMS is actually in the BCM. Further he can bring up the retrain function which he could not do if the TPMS RPO were NOT programmed into the BCM.
Yes, that's all correct. I "misspoke"; I meant BCM, not PCM. I can get the OPTIONS to cycle through to a blank DIC screen segment. From there, holding the RESET key brings up FOB TRAINING (first) and then tapping the OPTIONS key will toggle to TIRE TRAINING and then back to FOB TRAINING (and continue to repeat that pattern as long as I tap the OPTIONS key).

But when I get it to TIRE TRAINING, then a tap on the RESET key displays LEARN L FRONT TIRE, and that's where I'm stuck.

I 'gave up' and had the tires mounted after I installed the sensors. I'm counting on the sensors needing to be jiggled and awakened (because I missed those two critical posts around the noon hour), so I've mounted the tires/wheels and hopefully they'll respond after a few miles of driving.

Thanks to everyone for your brainstorming and advice; much appreciated!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a little trouble training after replaceing 10 year old sensors and new tires. I used a donut shaped magnet from Amazon. Moving the magnet in a small cicular motion around the valve stem worked for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dork
Yes, that's all correct. I "misspoke"; I meant BCM, not PCM. I can get the OPTIONS to cycle through to a blank DIC screen segment. From there, holding the RESET key brings up FOB TRAINING (first) and then tapping the OPTIONS key will toggle to TIRE TRAINING and then back to FOB TRAINING (and continue to repeat that pattern as long as I tap the OPTIONS key).

But when I get it to TIRE TRAINING, then a tap on the RESET key displays LEARN L FRONT TIRE, and that's where I'm stuck.

I 'gave up' and had the tires mounted after I installed the sensors. I'm counting on the sensors needing to be jiggled and awakened (because I missed those two critical posts around the noon hour), so I've mounted the tires/wheels and hopefully they'll respond after a few miles of driving.

Thanks to everyone for your brainstorming and advice; much appreciated!
That sounds like a good plan.
If he BCM is programmed correctly it should give you a tire pressure warning after driving a few minutes.

Last edited by Phanni; 09-12-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: TPMS help, please... Godzilla magnets and no joy