Sponsored by:

Is a C5 out of date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Is a C5 out of date?

I’m starting to get sick of everything becoming so high tech. I was reading about the C7.
It has all of these features that I can’t understand ½ of what they are talking about.
Is it just my 2 Nissans or do all cars have the speedometers read out in increments of 20MPH not 10?
I need a calculator to figure how fast I’m going.
I just want to roll up the windows while it’s not running. There is this entire sequence of pressing the ignition button.
If it isn’t done right the car interior and head lights stay on. To tell you the truth
I can’t remember what stays on or what’s what. The beeper keeps going, blah blah.
Has anybody ever herd of a KEY?????? I need a need a new phone. You know, one of those old fashioned kinds. You call somebody, they call you.
Nope, I need 45 icons so I need to know the weather in Yugoslavia, get stuck someplace on the phone and can’t get back to just the normal phone operation.
I’m talking to somebody and they are texting during our SO CALLED conversation. Texting while I may be speaking, who is actually the priority?
Me or the other person they are going back and forth with on their keyboard? It kind of makes me feel insulted. I don’t want to sound like the grumpy old man but how far is this stuff going to go.
Will we need to take classes on how to use a phone or start our car? My C5 gives me all of the information that I want. Not a bunch of stuff like a phone. Am I the grumpy old man?
My grandfather;
“When I was your age I would have to walk 5 miles to school in 10 feet of snow eat tree bark, AND I LIKED IT!!!”
Am I the only one out there that feels the same way?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think you pretty much answered your own question.

If stylish curves, (vs. sharp edges), a classic instrument cluster, a well designed interior (love the passenger grab handle) and a straight forward approach driver's car are out of date, yes the C5 is out of date!

As the automotive designs and the Corvette in particular continues to evolve, I am very happy that I chose to buy a C5 vs. a C6 back in 2004. I really don't think GM will ever make another car this sexy and straightforward.

With that said, I plan to get a C7 (Z07?) stablemate as I also recognize the improved performance and capabilities of the later generations. However, I am not going to trade or sell my C5 vert as I love the simplistic design of the car. Plus by adding some improved cosmetics, i.e. VE interior, DD Mods NAV, LED Halo Tail lights, LED Switchback corners, ACA HIDs, and HID fogs, I think I kept the car fresh from a technology standpoint.

I pretty much agree about all of the electronic distractions currently available and the new C7 Corvette is no different. I am currently shopping for a new daily driver business sedan and I'm blown away with the NASA inspired cockpits and electronics that are now pretty much standard on all premium sedans. The new Infiniti Q50 is on my short list and the center console electronics are incredible. They basically integrated an iPad into the console.

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I'm still using the cell phone that I bought in 2005 so I'm probably not the best person to answer your questions.

I also walked five miles to school each day, but it was uphill. Both ways.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stevie, I agree with much of your point and I, like MSG, do not plan to sell my C5 regardless of what other cars I would like to get. I love the raw feel of the C5 and the C6 can't duplicate that.

MSG, have you driven the Q50 yet? How is it? I liked everything I have read about it except the body styling didn't totally excite me.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing a lot of C7's and sitting in a couple in Bowling Green this last weekend, I sadly report that our C5's are out of date but I still love my FRC and that's all that matters! She just hit 100,000 yesterday
Old 09-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Vette10R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont fight the technology, learn to use it...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Is a C5 out of date? Well..........yes, yes it is...........thank God!!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I continue to update mine, so for me the answer is no. The design? Well that is timeless. Adding a new head unit with Nav and Bluetooth HD radio and Pandora, hands free texting and phone, pick up and dialing, helped greatly in moving my C5 into the 21 st. century. Adding 2013 suspension parts like shocks, sway bars and end links also made the car feel new again. It still get so many compliments daily that it amazes me on a daily basis. Having lots of custom parts like wheels, tires, hood, body mods, and interior also helps to make it special and different from the cookie cutter C5.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Is a C5 out of date? Who cares? Do you? I don't.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,094 Likes on 800 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vette10R
Dont fight the technology, learn to use it...

Most things are out of date the day they are produced.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly I am kind of glad it is out of date, I personally like having a key, regular cluster, and other odds and ends on the c5.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

I thing all corvettes are timeless. I would take any one of them. I do like the c5 I own for many reasons.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Depends upon what you mean out of date.

Performance Wise?

The new C7s are are tad (if any) faster than a 02-04 C5 Z06. On the track, the main difference is the Pilot Super Sports. What my Z06 is wearing, so no.

From a base coupe or vert, yes they are better performers.

Styling wise

I love the new C7 lines and I love the C5 lines. So taste really.

Electronics

Yes, C5 is dated. C7 way more advanced electronically from ride control to EFI, to variable timing, etc.

Interior

Yes, C5 and C6 fail in comparison to C7. The C7 actually has very nice interior.

Ride Quality

Have not driven a C7, so can only go by reports. Reports say, no comparison, C7 mch better and quieter.

C 5 is a classic design and really was a major design and performance step from the anemic post mid 70ties C3s and cumbersome C4s. But they are all 10 years or more old now.

They are holding their value very well however.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JaxEagle
Stevie, I agree with much of your point and I, like MSG, do not plan to sell my C5 regardless of what other cars I would like to get. I love the raw feel of the C5 and the C6 can't duplicate that.

MSG, have you driven the Q50 yet? How is it? I liked everything I have read about it except the body styling didn't totally excite me.
I like the design better than the G37 it is replacing. I have not drove one yet, but I have seen one up close and I really like the look.

Since I no longer fight the Chicago winters, I want to return to a rear-wheel drive sedan so I'm shopping all of the usual suspects including the new Cadillac ATS. I'm also wanting to drive the new 2014 CTS to compare that as well before I decide.

I've been an Acura owner for the past 15 years and although they have performed well, I don't like their current designs and as mentioned, I want to return back to rear-wheel drive.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 PM
darkvader0
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Acuras too, but I can't go back to FWD either.

The C5 is my newest and most advanced car lol. I thought I was pretty high-tech in this thing. I just tell it what temp. I want in the car instead of turning ***** that moves water valves. When I drive at night and someone behind me has bright lights on.... wow.. the mirror just dimmed itself. Cool! DIC?! HUD??!?

Haha... I agree with some of what was said. I don't like this "push to start" nonsense. And I prefer the Dash/Instrument Cluster on the C5 to any other car I have ever seen.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh.....another is my C5 dated thread?

I don't get it? Well yes I do, marketing has worked overtime for decades telling you that you need to buy new..... using whatever means and tricks to convince a buyer.

Personally, I fell into that vicious cycle for decades buying a new car and truck every other year. BUT I've learned to treat my C5 strictly as a platform to change up to suit my wants and needs. Like Evil Twin, never let it get stale and keep it current with electronics and EVER increasing Horsepower. Even the interior can be upgraded without spending a fortune. No one get's any sympathy from me complaining about how dated their C5 is, just build it like you want and pocket the extra $40,000 you saved cause you didn't buy new.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM
GySgt1811
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C5 dated? Hell yes. But, so am I!!

I still hump "Lilith's" rear end when no one's looking. (Geez, I hope no one's lookin'! )

Best Regards,

Name withheld...

Get notified of new replies

To Is a C5 out of date?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I never brought up the C5 looks as that part of the equation, I just brought up tech. As long as it has been brought up, the term “classic” has been stated several times. Sharp lines V/curved have been back and forth forever. At least since I started driving back in the Stone Age.
As far as I’m concerned an aerodynamic design never goes out of style. Just compare it to a jet aircraft. They always use a design that maximizes the best way to slice through the air.
I believe The C5 is the best generation. When the C5 was introduced in 1996 or 97, can’t remember, I believe it was the most aerodynamic car in the world. I was in love with it the first time I saw one.
Anyway, everybody has different tastes in everything, so who cares. Every Corvette is a Corvette, has been and always will be the American Icon.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

i have 165k left to pay off on a house worth 220

couldn't imagine spending 50-60k on a car, that's 1/3rd of my home. you start adding up all the interest saved over the years and it's pretty substantial.

i bought my c5z in cash and will do the same with a c6 GS if they start getting more affordable

i personally couldn't justify such a large outlay of cash while i still have debt to pay on my home
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
I thing all corvettes are timeless. I would take any one of them. I do like the c5 I own for many reasons.
Excellent point

Quick Reply: Is a C5 out of date?