Is a C5 out of date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
My C5 doesn't have leaf springs so its already a step above the C7
Nor does it require specific narrow tires that will cost a small fortune to replace.

Those super sticky tires are going to give many new owners an embolism/ stroke.

to progress.......I hopefully await for the new owners to pave the way for those of us too stingy to buy the first year.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The B-2 bomber is way out of date, but it's still quite useful...........
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PETE O.
The B-2 bomber is way out of date, but it's still quite useful...........
So its the A-10. Hell before Desert Storm they were retiring them now they will be flying until at least 2025. Same with the B52, extended its service life until like 2050. Its not about age or technology, its about a proven platform. The C5 was the seed that planted the C7.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Guess I will maybe start considering that my C5 is out of date when people quit asking me almost every week... "Is that the NEW Corvette?".

Also, when people quit asking me if they can take pictures of it - again almost every week!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
i have 165k left to pay off on a house worth 220
couldn't imagine spending 50-60k on a car, that's 1/3rd of my home. you start adding up all the interest saved over the years and it's pretty substantial.

i bought my c5z in cash and will do the same with a c6 GS if they start getting more affordable

i personally couldn't justify such a large outlay of cash while i still have debt to pay on my home
Interesting and practical point of view. I wish I could think the same.....but I don't. If I thought the same way, I may be 6 feet under ground before I got my house paid off. And, you only live once.....

With that mindset, I went ahead and snatched up a closeout bargain on a 2013 ZO6. 3LZ, Arctic White, Black Headlamp override, F55 Suspension.....Hell, if I never make it 30 more years, I can bequeath all my debt to my family. Hahaha.

Maybe adding a second Corvette to a 2-car garage was not the most fiscally wise decision to date, but then again, maybe I should have bought a house with a 3-car garage!!

Cheers

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 09-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Mychebe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happened to be watching Mecum auto auctions last weekend from Dallas and was shocked when a few c5's crossed the block at very low prices. I don't know how many miles were on them . One of the announcers Bill Stephens who will have a corvette show starting this week on Velocity said that these c5's will be worth more in the future and could run with most supercars of present day. I happen to agree with him about that, cars with great lines, and performance to match live on for a long time.If your car still makes you smile keep it, if it doesn't sell it.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 PM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieB
I’m starting to get sick of everything becoming so high tech. I was reading about the C7.
It has all of these features that I can’t understand ½ of what they are talking about.
Is it just my 2 Nissans or do all cars have the speedometers read out in increments of 20MPH not 10?
I need a calculator to figure how fast I’m going.
I just want to roll up the windows while it’s not running. There is this entire sequence of pressing the ignition button.
If it isn’t done right the car interior and head lights stay on. To tell you the truth
I can’t remember what stays on or what’s what. The beeper keeps going, blah blah.
Has anybody ever herd of a KEY?????? I need a need a new phone. You know, one of those old fashioned kinds. You call somebody, they call you.
Nope, I need 45 icons so I need to know the weather in Yugoslavia, get stuck someplace on the phone and can’t get back to just the normal phone operation.
I’m talking to somebody and they are texting during our SO CALLED conversation. Texting while I may be speaking, who is actually the priority?
Me or the other person they are going back and forth with on their keyboard? It kind of makes me feel insulted. I don’t want to sound like the grumpy old man but how far is this stuff going to go.
Will we need to take classes on how to use a phone or start our car? My C5 gives me all of the information that I want. Not a bunch of stuff like a phone. Am I the grumpy old man?
My grandfather;
“When I was your age I would have to walk 5 miles to school in 10 feet of snow eat tree bark, AND I LIKED IT!!!”
Am I the only one out there that feels the same way?
that is a loaded question my friend,anything can be outdated if you want it to be, its how you see things, i can put mine up with any new vette and not with just horse power, looks,the ride, cornering, i can pull a 1.5/7 g with easzzz,anyway, enough said.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
If you have to have the latest technology, then the C5 AND the C6 are out of date. If you take a more practical approach, the basic design concept of the C5 has carried through the C6 and now has been updated in the C7. The C5 is dramatically different from it's predecessors. So, I don't look at the C7 and see a totally different car, just a newer version of the C5 design.
Well stated!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:07 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mychebe
I happened to be watching Mecum auto auctions last weekend from Dallas and was shocked when a few c5's crossed the block at very low prices. I don't know how many miles were on them . One of the announcers Bill Stephens who will have a corvette show starting this week on Velocity said that these c5's will be worth more in the future and could run with most supercars of present day. I happen to agree with him about that, cars with great lines, and performance to match live on for a long time.If your car still makes you smile keep it, if it doesn't sell it.
what's very low prices? i would take a stab and say most c5s sell in the teens, just as a general statement
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM
aggdad02
1st Gear

Default Annyvette

Is a 32 coupe out of date, how bout 55-56-57 Chevy, 64 mustang, 69 camaro. If you love it they never get old/out of date
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Leo23
Pro

Considering I was born in 1955, I guess I'm more out of date than my C5.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 AM
Valdostavetteguy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racebum
what's very low prices? i would take a stab and say most c5s sell in the teens, just as a general statement
He's talking about the blue C5 coupe that sold for $7500! I couldn't believe it when the owner lifted the reserve at $6K!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Blancpain
Pro

No...I don't think the C5 is outdated. It still keeps up with GT3s.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:33 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Originally Posted by leo12
that is a loaded question my friend,anything can be outdated if you want it to be, its how you see things, i can put mine up with any new vette and not with just horse power, looks,the ride, cornering, i can pull a 1.5/7 g with easzzz,anyway, enough said.

Is that dog laying behind the Porsche okay? I hope he's just sleeping!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I guess you all could ****** up all the sub 10 grand c5's, corner the market, and then drive the price up to the imaginary 20 grand mark.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:30 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
Is a C5 out of date? Who cares? Do you? I don't.
I second that. It's still the nicest Corvette I've ever owned. My coworkers still think its a beautiful car.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion the answer is that it's not outdated enough yet.

To me the base C5 is the best stock corvette money can buy when you think in terms of performance, reliability, and looks for the money.

I've always liked the C5 looks over the C6 base. I always will. The C6 GrandSport, Z06 and ZR1 and now the new C7 are all better overall to the C5 in every category (except looks maybe depending on taste) but they are all considerably more expensive.

From all of the reviews that I've seen about the base C7, I certainly think it is a much advanced car, with much improved performance, technology, creature comforts, interior, structural rigidity, handling, fuel economy and very good looks. As it should be being the newest corvette. Having said that these updates are just not enough for me to think it's worth the extra money versus a used C5. Although it does for all previous generation corvettes C1 to C4.

I hope the C8 will make me look at a C5 and think no way, I would rather spend the extra money on the C8 but right now with the C7 that is not happening. So for me the C5 is not outdated enough and I will probably get one before the C8 is available. Then unless the C8 makes a C6 GS and C7 very outdated. I will move to them eventually.

Even though I could comfortably afford it I would probably never buy an all new corvette if there is a older used corvette that would make me equally as happy.

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Is a C5 out of date?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default here is the answer from my perspecive

If I were to trade my C5 right now for a 2013 C6, what would I be getting for the 45,000 dollars? A body design that is a step backwards? lower mileage, a warranty? a cookie cutter C6 like every other C6 out there. Now add the 20/25,000 necessary to make it special then IM into about 65/70,000 dollars. for a car that is already dated by the C7.
Now a C6 Z06 would still be dated by the C7 and cost me more than 60K, by the time I made it my own, I would be into 80 grand . Simple answer for me. The money, 80K, and to still be dated would be a poor choice if being dated was important.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
If I were to trade my C5 right now for a 2013 C6, what would I be getting for the 45,000 dollars? A body design that is a step backwards? lower mileage, a warranty? a cookie cutter C6 like every other C6 out there. Now add the 20/25,000 necessary to make it special then IM into about 65/70,000 dollars. for a car that is already dated by the C7.
Now a C6 Z06 would still be dated by the C7 and cost me more than 60K, by the time I made it my own, I would be into 80 grand . Simple answer for me. The money, 80K, and to still be dated would be a poor choice if being dated was important.
The C5 rocks and I would put mine up any day on one of the newer cars
Old 09-12-2013, 09:17 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

NurburgRing video above....I almost ate that wall at 2:25!!

Quick Reply: Is a C5 out of date?