Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Coupe vs C5 Z06 and real difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have owned both. When I took a road test in a Z, it immediately felt different than the coupe I owned at the time. I made plans to trade UP immediately. It just feels like more of a hot rod. And I like the looks better, the Z06 is nastier looking. If you don't own a Z when people ask about your Vette it's like their thinking ho-hum. Add in that it's a Z06 and suddenly they're much more interested and impressed, if that matters. :-)
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Leo23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting performance aside, one is great looking, (the coupe), the other, (ZO6), not so much. And that is all most common folks who are not Corvette enthusiasts notice.

Last edited by Leo23; 08-30-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I love how these posts always turn into a train wreck....

Toque
Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 AM
stein3282
Instructor

I thought this was a difference thing like better heads, lighter weight, better suspension, etc...
Not a pissing match between the two.
I own a coupe and love it. It is however my first vette. I am just curious what makes the Z06 better/faster.
I do agree that the Z looks better(meaner).
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM
hamhead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooney201
With 530 rwhp, redline in 4th comes fast. I have not hit redline in 5th yet, but should take another mile. I have not had the opportunity or track to test maximum speed yet. Others that have about the same hp as I have say around 200 mph. There are many higher hp and faster cars than mine here on this forum. Maybe some of them could tell you. I know some have hit over 200 mph from a standing start, but I think they have near 1000 hp.
With only 530 rwhp, it might take me two miles from a roll to hit 200 mph.
Being able to reach 200 mph was a factor in my buying a Coupe instead of a Z06. I agree with everyone that the Z06 is much better at road racing than the Coupe, and that most people would prefer that venue, but for me, top speed is the issue.
So you bought a coupe because of some obsession with reaching 200mph, but have barely reached over 150mph?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have owned both. Now this is stock to stock comparison. 1/4 mile is about a second different. 13.2 (coupe) to 12.2 (Z06) I didnt track my coupe but multiple seconds per lap in favor of the Z. Anyone with a coupe that doesnt think there is much of a difference must not have owned a Z yet. The only thing a Z doesnt have that a coupe does is a targa top. Only thing I miss. And yes the Z is better looking.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stein3282
I thought this was a difference thing like better heads, lighter weight, better suspension, etc...
Not a pissing match between the two.
I own a coupe and love it. It is however my first vette. I am just curious what makes the Z06 better/faster.
I do agree that the Z looks better(meaner).
...they always turn into a pissing match

To answer your question; different motor (actually a slightly different block not just heads and cam, although it is those too). lighter due in part to leaving things like sound deadner out, no power in pass seat, etc, Different suspension and better brakes, brake vents, different transmission and rear end ratio and titanium exhaust. I think those are all the major ones, Im sure there are a few other little differences here and there as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
stein3282
Instructor

To answer your question; different motor (actually a slightly different block not just heads and cam, although it is those too). lighter due in part to leaving things like sound deadner out, no power in pass seat, etc, Different suspension and better brakes, brake vents, different transmission and rear end ratio and titanium exhaust. I think those are all the major ones, Im sure there are a few other little differences here and there as well.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-kid

Thinner front windshield for weight savings.
More aggressive brake pads (calipers are the same).
Frame structure is more rigid than the coupe/vert.
Wider tires (wider 1" on front and rear)
Seats were just the standard seats (lighter than the adjustable sport seats in coupe/vert)

There has not been a Corvette as light as the C5Z06 since it came out (~3100lbs).

Toque
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
pmurray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the good discussion. It has really helped me understand the differences. All and all seems like a good driver can make more of a difference anyway.

I bought the Coupe because I don't care for convertibles (let's not go there) but like the option to take the top off for things like Club Parades.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 AM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a coupe. It has never ever crossed my mind that my car could hang with a Z. However, I don't understand how it would take that much to hang with a Z if I had to. Z wheels are cheap, upgrading the suspension is cheap, brakes are cheap, and it's not too hard to wring another 75hp out of an LS1.....now if the guy in the Z upgrades their wheels, suspension and engine the same way, tail lights again!

The coupe is definitely not 1K away from hanging with a Z but it sure wouldn't break the bank to make one that can.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 AM
mooney201
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hamhead
So you bought a coupe because of some obsession with reaching 200mph, but have barely reached over 150mph?
150 mph?? That was reached very early in 5th gear. The straight limited me to 174 mph. When I go for 200 mph it will be on a legal road course, like the Silver State Challenge, of which I have run twice with a different car.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coupe... better better aero..
z06 lighter weight. more HP geared for low end/ mid range accelleration.

I bought a coupe i like the looks better...

this is me.. nothing that a C5 had hasn't been done BETTER by someone else including C6 take off parts or aftermarket..

so now my c5 has had a full c6z suspsion. heads cam, intake headers exhaust.. decided the cam was too big for the stock gears it has 4:11's in it. put the rear cooling ducts on... SS pistons in the brakes bettor rotors ss lines. better brake fluid... show me any C5z06 that's stock that i can't beat anywhere anytime and i'll buy you a beer.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The targa is what really did it for me i love that part.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-kid

04 Commemorative Edition has a Carbon Fiber hood, cuts a little weight off as compared to other C5 Z06s
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeC5
I own a coupe. It has never ever crossed my mind that my car could hang with a Z. However, I don't understand how it would take that much to hang with a Z if I had to. Z wheels are cheap, upgrading the suspension is cheap, brakes are cheap, and it's not too hard to wring another 75hp out of an LS1.....now if the guy in the Z upgrades their wheels, suspension and engine the same way, tail lights again!

The coupe is definitely not 1K away from hanging with a Z but it sure wouldn't break the bank to make one that can.
You could buy a Z for less then the mods it would take to get your coupe to the same performance as a Z. There like 2 or 3k more for a Z. Your mods are going to exceed that real quick.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

Originally Posted by ChromeC5

I used to think that until I bought the Z06. (I've had both and I've tracked both)

To be honest, the biggest day to day difference in feel for me is the M12 vs MN6 transmission ratios. MN6 feels positively lazy compared to the M12. Upgrading sways on a coupe gets you similar cornering feel.

If you pull 100 lbs out of the car, do the wheels, springs, shocks, and sways, transmission, and add 75 hp while also increasing the redline by 500 rpm, and add the extra cooling then yes you've got yourself a good Z06 clone. Both cars have garbage tires and seats and neither car's pads are that suitable for track use.

If all one talks about is power, then yes you can get the straight line performance from a regular coupe easily. But you'd also be missing the whole point of the Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Coupe vs C5 Z06 and real difference?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Ok, now everyone go out to the street and tell us which one is better and faster. Here's the kicker.

You have to obey the rules of the road.

Then go to the track and do the same.

Come back and tell us which one is better/faster.

On the street for 98% of everyone here, they are pretty much the same except in looks.

On the track, with good drivers, the Z wins every time.

I always love these conversations when we try to compare a car that was built to go straight to the track, versus one which was not. And then when we compare them to leisure driving obeying the rules of the road.

Heck my STS can hang with a vette on the street when we obey the rules.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
I love how these posts always turn into a train wreck....

Toque
Couldn't agree more...this thread has become bastardized...

"if I had an f14 and you had a Z you would be me in the corner but I'd still beat you in a straight line...my uncle has a submarine that can corner, he can probably beat you except he's blind in one eye and, yadda, yadda, yadda"

Just having a little fun people relax
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just buy a Coupe and call A&A. Thats what I did! I got my Coupe with 32k on it, Supercharger, Coilovers, and some other things all for under 32k (including car.) The Z06 I was looking at was 30k with 55k on the odo.

Quick Reply: C5 Coupe vs C5 Z06 and real difference?