Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how picky/ how long....

Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM
jans
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default how picky/ how long....

Looking to buy a C5, feeling a bit overwhelmed...I know what my "perfect" car would be, but also know there is not an unlimited supply of these cars. How picky were you before buying your C5 and how long did you look before buying? Did you have only one color you would accept or was mileage a deal breaker or how did you decide your car was the one?
I can be patient and am not in a hurry, but don't want to pass on something by being too picky. Thanks for your input everyone.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

After I sold my 96, it took me about 2 years to find the 04 that I wanted. I was being picky and was not in a hurry. Had to be an auto so the wife (now ex wife) could drive it also Z51 with both tops and all options. Found a beauty with low mileage and all the paper work. Couldn't pass it up for $18,000 over two years ago.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I was never seriously looking when I bought my PC - just keeping abreast of the prices. Deal breakers were color (had to be yellow or PC) and it had to be a vert. Preferred options were HUD (N/A for '98 but will add) and manual & I wanted a 'driver'. I kept 'abreast' of prices for almost 2 years before I found 'it'.

It's getting a little late in the season (Cincinnati) for Corvette shows but if you can, go to some. You might expand your 'deal breaker' boundaries when you see different colors and such in person. It also may firm up your 'deal breaker' requirements - and that can be a good thing to keep you in check with what you really want.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Browsed for two years, serious search the last 6 months. Narrowed my search after the browsing period, knew what I wanted and what I wanted to spend. It worked out for me. After almost 3 years I haven't seen a car that would give me buyers remorse. My car was/is not perfect, it has it's blemishes, but for the money I got a deal on a great car.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 629 Likes on 394 Posts

Took me a few months. Needed a vert with manual transmission. Walked away from everything that had aftermarket mods installed by amateur mechanics and I suggest you do the same
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Took me about 4 - 6 months the first time. Color choice not that important to me the first go around, second one--50th Anniversary Edition only came in one color. Mileage was key didn't want to go beyond 40,000 in either purchase. Would have preferred 6 spd for the AE but settled for the automatic, price too good to pass up. Make up a spreadsheet and post asking and selling prices for the various years, colors & options that should help.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Took me a few months. Needed a vert with manual transmission. Walked away from everything that had aftermarket mods installed by amateur mechanics and I suggest you do the same
Did exactly the same before finding the '04 vert 6spd that suited me .. bought 5 months ago loaded with 43,500 mi on it
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted a good condition late model convertible with a 6 speed, and only a few color combos that I wanted. Not a common C5. It took me about 3 months to find one that I really liked (well, I found another one, but it sold before I could ****** it up). I put the downpayment on my C5 within 24 hours of the dealership listing it on the web. I drove 8 hours to go pick the car up.

I would highly recommend that you wait for the car you want, instead of compromising a little bit, unless you find a REALLY good deal!

For the years that you own the car, you'll MUCH rather say "This is the car of my dreams" every time you walk into the garage, rather than "I still kinda wish I had a [color] car, but this one is cool too"!
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

YOUR perfect car is out there. Don't be afraid to pay a little extra for it. You want a car that when you talk about it the word but never enters the sentence.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Took about a Year to find the car I was looking for.
Would never settle with anything but a frc/z06, found a 02 z06 electron blue with mod red interior flew to Florida and drove it home
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I was very fortunate as my Corvette was inherited in the family car and I loved everything about it. Price was right too, lol. Triple black convertible '03 mn6 with low mileage. PERFECT. Good luck and you will know when you see her. Rob
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

Set your goals in the one you want, but it's kind of like picking out a puppy at the rescue center, you'll know it
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerlyFiero
Set your goals in the one you want, but it's kind of like picking out a puppy at the rescue center, you'll know it
Very well said.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I have no buttons. The color of my vette would not be my 10th
choice but the women like it. The more flexible you are the
more high quality cars you can chose from.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM
zguy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me one day. It was pure luck I suppose. I normally do a ton of research before buying anything. I didn't get the best price but I fell in love with the car.

In hindsight along with being more mature, I would do the research first and decide what you want and how much you want spend. Good deals are not seen every day but they do come around. When they come around, you will be ready to act since you have done the investment in research up front. There is ALWAYS another car around the corner.

Oh and another thing... There are plenty of low mileage C5s out there still. Don't worry about that. After being a member of this forum for sometime, I would advise buying one here from a fellow forum member if possible.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

I guess I was lucky as I stumbled on to mine at the beginning of my search. I wanted a low mileage, red, 6-speed convertible. Found the 50th Anniversary Edition with 11,500 miles on cars.com as soon as I started looking. Car was about a 3 hour drive away and I had some things going on the first weekend so I waited until the second weekend after contacting the owner to drive out to look at it. In the meantime I drove a couple of other C5s to get a frame of reference. The car was near perfect completely unmodified and very well cared for. We struck a deal and I drove the car home that day.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Ryan T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find and always tell people that you can look at 10 corvettes to buy one, often when the right one comes along the seller knows what he has and you wont always buy it much below book, but your time searching and driving is worth something. I'd never walk away from the perfect one over a few bucks.

Get notified of new replies

To how picky/ how long....

Old 08-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Leo23
Pro

I got lucky and found mine after about a month. I had a pretty specific list, coupe, auto, Z51, Pewter or Silver, light oak interior, both tops, fairly low miles, and un-modified. I found a Pewter coupe that checked all the boxes, with 62,000 miles on it, and about 45 miles from home. Bought it on the spot, and never looked back. Keep looking, your perfect ride is out there.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Waited a year and a half. I actually quit looking and as soon as I did my 04 fell into my lap.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FormerlyFiero

about one year and then one day boom there it was...

not sure I would be so scared of a mod'd car mine is super!!

I saved about 8K in mods as the owner added just about what I wanted and then I got the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how picky/ how long....