Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Suede center console

I scored a pretty good sized roll of black suede from a friend a short while back, and wanted to do something custom on the '01 with it. After scoring a set of Corbeaus, I realized the center console lid would be the perfect thing to cover.

Not wanting to risk messing up my original lid, I asked around if anyone had an old beat up one they'd be willing to send my way, and OKZ06 came through big time. Once he'd gotten a new one for his 'vette, he shipped me (for no cost, not even shipping ) his old lid. I have to say, it was in even better condition than I expected. A few of the plastic tabs for the screws had snapped off, but that proved to not be an issue.

I cleaned off the lid and proceeded to cover both it and the backside of a section of suede in 3M spray adhesive. Just my luck, right as I was about to lay the suede on the lid the skies opened up, so I had to book in into the garage!

I almost lost the suede, as it doubled over on itself on the sticky side and proved to be a royal pain to unstick, but I managed to get it laid over the lid and smoothed out. After about a half hour or so of gluing and working and trimming I was pretty happy with the results. As I said, the screw tabs that were broken off proved to not be an issue, and now I've got a center console lid that matches quite nicely with my seats!

Big thanks to OKZ06, you rock!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 AM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

That looks really good! Sorry it took as long as it did to get to you but the results are awesome!

Couldn't really believe the console lid was in that great of shape underneath the horribly worn cover.

This is what these forums are for, instead of hording and piling things in your garage.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by OKZ06
That looks really good! Sorry it took as long as it did to get to you but the results are awesome!

Couldn't really believe the console lid was in that great of shape underneath the horribly worn cover.

This is what these forums are for, instead of hording and piling things in your garage.
Hey man, no need to apologize! And agreed, I definitely am one in need of sorting through all my piles of parts and unload!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

sexy!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, you just gave me an excellent idea; the center part of my A4's is white suede. I've been looking at sections of it off theBay, and I think I'm getting a yard or two.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:22 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
Man, you just gave me an excellent idea; the center part of my A4's is white suede. I've been looking at sections of it off theBay, and I think I'm getting a yard or two.

I've been eyeing around the interior for other sections to mess with. I may hold my horses on it for the time as I've got plenty of other projects to deal with, but pie-in-the-sky thoughts are hovering about. If I can find a set of roughed up door panels, I've got some ideas for the lower halves that would eventually result in covering them with suede.

Some 'simpler' ideas have come to mind, like the door handle surrounds or perhaps a new shift boot made out of the suede. The latter would be a bit of work, both because I'd have to make sure it didn't bunch up, and from having already once swapped out the leather I know it's quite a bit of work to do.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
sexy!
But we need better pics.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
But we need better pics.

I've got larger versions of the ones above if you want (my usual Photoshop scale-down script kept the previous size too big). I'll try to remember to get a shot tomorrow in the sunlight.

Get notified of new replies

To Suede center console

Quick Reply: Suede center console