Sponsored by:

Suspension squeek ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 AM
upl8dave
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Suspension squeek ???

A little help needed. I have a 2002 vert with 40k on it that has a suspension squeak that sounds like an old bedspring when it goes over an uneven surface. On a smooth surface it's quiet. This only occurs when the temperature outside gets low (around 40°). It seems to be coming from the front passenger side. I've also noticed a very small leak at the rear of the car that has come and gone. (don't have it anymore). I imagined that it might be a leaking shock. So with those two in mind, I figured that new shocks might be in order. There doesn't seem to be any performance issues though. Rides and handles fine. Maybe it's the sway bar bushings, I don't know. I realize it would be easiest to just change everything out with the C6 Zo6 shocks and sway bars, but one thing I wanted to do is to lower it just a little with the bolts so that the tire to fender lip distance was the same at the top as at the sides. The stock height makes it look like a stump jumper as is. There's a lot of things coming together here. Your help is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

usually dry sway bar bushings. You really don't need to spend the money on new shocks and sways, unless there is a real need for a change. Note ! you said it rides fine and handles fine.
the sway bar bushings are easy to fix, just two bolts each side, clean add Teflon tape or some silicone grease, and you are back in business and with no noise.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-18-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM
upl8dave
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for that info. I wondered if that might be the fix. It's certainly the first thing to try.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I agree sway bar bushings.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:33 PM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went threw that its the shocks...
Old 08-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 2003 electronblue
I just went threw that its the shocks...
bad shocks do Not squeak.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 AM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Almost certainly the sway bar bushings based on your description. I'd upgraded to the C6 Z06/Z51 shocks & swaybars at around 90k miles and within about 5-10k miles I had what you're describing, but it sounded utterly dreadful.

A quick trip to Oreilly's for some silicone grease and maybe a half hour under the car jacked up and the sound's been gone for well over 30k miles.

Keep in mind, I had to do this after the grease provided with the C6 sways had been applied and on for only a few thousand miles, so it's wholly believable after 40k on the original setup that you've got dried out / gunked up bushings.

When you go to do the work, at least on the rear sway bar, if you jack the car up by the rear cradle you should be able to just unbolt the bushings and swing the bar down. I highly recommend thoroughly cleaning both the bar and the bushings with some WD-40 and elbow grease before putting the silicone on, and being liberal with the silicone application.

If you ever do the C6 sway upgrade, skip the supplied stuff and just use the auto parts store bought silicone.

Last edited by flaagan; 08-19-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension squeek ???

Quick Reply: Suspension squeek ???