Sponsored by:

Anyone doing this in a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Drifting is for some, not for others.
No doubt it takes skill, as many things do..
Not for me, no interest.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
I'm not surprised the crowd here doesn't like it
Exactly....a crowd who feels a corvette has more place at a drag strip going straight apparently.

I have an e36 m3 that I do,drift events in. I also have many friends that drift. Its certainly a valid skill to possess. 95% of the people here would lose control of their car if it were beyond 20% of the straight line axis, yet the criticism flies.

To the one who said drifting in a circle becomes easy then you can drift easily overall...I beg to differ. I started doing circles, then figure 8's, then began attempting a short course. There is nothing easy about any of it.

To the fool who said it was invented by ricers in civics...you have rocks for,brains. The funny fact is, I talked to Dick Guldstrand and showed him some of my drifting photos (though I was vintage racing a 69 Corvette at that event) and he laughed saying, "now they call it drifting, back then we called that 'goin fast'". The fact is, if you watch old Cobras or old vettes racing, if you werent drifting those cars, you werent going fast enough. Drifting started as a necessity to get poor handling cars to rotate. It just became a good spectator sport is all.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 02
... I'm not surprised the crowd here doesn't like it
Originally Posted by RC000E
Exactly....a crowd who feels a corvette has more place at a drag strip going straight apparently. ...
Don't forget the crowd that believes a Corvette's place is in the garage under a cover.

In high school I did a lot of drifting ... off to sleep.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:01 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has everyone forgot about Dirt track racing and outlaw sprints. Growing up on a dirt road..

Kinda think we might have invented it, but the boys across the pond are taking it to the next level but the champ is posted with that Red Bull car in a video a few post back from the US of A......
I even do a little bit of drifting in the dragster on the burn out.. Going straight and sideways at the same time.... Don't think for a minuet we don't have to drive it with the slicks turning 7000 the first 80 foot on a burn out to stay straight. ...
Then if it don't hold you get your brains shook out with tire shake..

RC00E about nailed it. Its a mind set that once you buy a vette, your automatically classed as a drag car.. Kinda like the Harley guys get a tatto and have to tear some part of your jacket or pants to be in the mix..
Vettes are also a dirt track car if you pay the fee to play with the street class at your local dirt track...

And I totally agree with RC00E on the most would lose it if the back tires ever broke lose on the first curve.... MIght be why the mind set is to only go straight..

No its not for everyone but for those that are satisfied to buy a vette and instantly become a race machine and driver, their getting their moneys worth on their investment to...............

Last edited by liveaboard74; 08-19-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM
pmurray
Racer

I'll bet that if there was a track you could go to and use a car that was set up for drifting and not too expensive all of you would do it and have a blast.
We all don't want to wreck our cars but it would be a good skill to have when you need it. Ever slide on loose gravel? Learning to not over-steer is a good thing to know.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Exactly....a crowd who feels a corvette has more place at a drag strip going straight apparently.
Or autocross, rally, and road courses, not to mention the annual Pike's Peak race, among many others.

Pot. Kettle. Meh.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Well, all I know is...anyone can go to a drag strip and go straight. Anyone can go to a circuit and follow the line. You cannot go to a drift event and just do it the first time out. Its an incredible skill that, essentially, comes somewhat naturally if you road race hard. I transitioned to drift pretty easily just because of my street antics over the years, combined with road racing, though I am still no D1 level guy.

I cant tell you how many guys I see at an HPDE or even a sanctioned event that spin or go off track from EASILY recoverable slides or oversteers...they just dont know how. Drfit is a GREAT skill of car control, that can definitely get you out of situations where most people just become passengers in a car that is beyong their scope of control.

Doing little sideways blips or donuts in a parking lot isnt drifting. You slide a car sideways, in a controlled manner, at 70mph...you get back to me. Its not easy, its damn scary early on, but it takes my element of recovery from a bad situation...WAY farther than most people.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:43 PM
killerREDvette
Instructor

adrenaline rush is a adrenaline rush, racing is racing, competing is competing!!!! and if u think drifting (the act of sliding while driving around a corner NOT the competition) didnt start with moonshiners running from the law (same as nascar) then u should watch more history channel haha. if $'s the factor..ALL racing is expensive,and if ya break it, upgrade it. some cars are made to drive and some just to look at, thats the great thing about a corvette. it fits EVERY role.

HAHA that being said, with our corvette connections from our '98 drag car, we just bought a '97 that we are going to turn into a drift car. i dont care how i go fast, strait, sideways, backwards, whatever. as long as me and that car are in pretty much in one piece im happy.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Sh*t...my friends are broker than a **expletive** and they drift constantly it seems. I can't even keep up with those fools. I have a bar/restaurant and every time I jump on facebook these assh*les are somewhere drifting...even if it's through the gas pumps at BP with a GoPro...lol.

My M3 has been a little stagnant this yr but...may be relocating to Irvine, Ca from Pa for a big opportunity...lookin to get in the action next season...
Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems a waste of perfectly good tires. Shucks, even NASCAR has to change after going round and round once in awhile but drifting is just silly. After all that smoke there's little else to excite the viewer.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
killerREDvette
Instructor

most drifters use used tires they get for $10-$75. u need deep pockets or a sponsor to buy new regular street tires. all i can say is enjoy ur vette the way you want, there all right....BUT....

just watch this and say its not amassing what he can do with a car.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 PM
JRoady
Advanced

Be interested in whatever you are interested in...but if you watch that video and aren't impressed, well, maybe cars aren't your thing...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by killerREDvette
most drifters use used tires they get for $10-$75. u need deep pockets or a sponsor to buy new regular street tires. all i can say is enjoy ur vette the way you want, there all right....BUT....

just watch this and say its not amassing what he can do with a car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus
...more scared than impressed...

Quick Reply: Anyone doing this in a C5?