Sponsored by:

Active handling almost caused a wreck today

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM
wolfgang896
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active handling almost caused a wreck today

I was driving my 2004 Corvette today, going straight down a two lane highway at 60 mph and all of a sudden the left front braked momentarily locked up and jerked me into the other lane. Luckily there was not any oncoming traffic or it could have been bad.

As soon as that happened, the service active handling message came up on the dash. I pulled over and checked everything out and didnt see any thing unusual. I checked the codes and got a C1282 which points to a yaw sensor.

Even if it is a bad yaw sensor, why would it not just disable the active handling instead of allowing it to apply the left front brake? Anyone else ran into this?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM
ourblk96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wolfgang896
I was driving my 2004 Corvette today, going straight down a two lane highway at 60 mph and all of a sudden the left front braked momentarily locked up and jerked me into the other lane. Luckily there was not any oncoming traffic or it could have been bad.

As soon as that happened, the service active handling message came up on the dash. I pulled over and checked everything out and didnt see any thing unusual. I checked the codes and got a C1282 which points to a yaw sensor.

Even if it is a bad yaw sensor, why would it not just disable the active handling instead of allowing it to apply the left front brake? Anyone else ran into this?
The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago!!!! I looked up the codes found out it's the steering wheel position sensor. $60 part and 3 hours labor at the shop and it's all good now!!! You can pull fuse#53,5,52 all ABS fuses until you get the parts to fix it but you won't have any ABS.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Had the same thing here. Mine was a Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) failure. search it... $60 and 3 hours of labor is accurate

To answer your question, the active handling system was not designed with fault protection in mind. If you have a SWPS that is just off slightly, it will cause the yaw rate sensor to detect zero yaw when it sees the wheel as displaced. It will then use differential braking to achieve its calculated desired yaw rate.

Safest thing you can do right now is turn off Active Handling each time you get in the car and then your only "spirited" drive should be directly to the shop. In the end, the fix is your call. Some people have driven years without needing Active Handling. I drove across country (I-40) before I got mine fixed (couldn't stop the movers).

Edit: I just read the above... DO NOT DISABLE ABS!!! That system is working perfectly fine/as directed. As I Stated, turn off Active Handling, that is the system signaling your brakes to go into action.

Last edited by mdiiulio; 08-07-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Yikes!!! Looks like your car was trying to kill you!? Happy all is well and thanks for telling us about your experience. Something to be aware of. Rob
Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the info - very informative post.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow. You may need to name your car "Christine". Did you do something to P her O?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the informative post. Wow, glad you're OK.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:40 AM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Happened to me too but not as bad
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good thing a cop wasn't behind you, or surely you would have been pulled over for erratic, or worse, reckless driving.

Or worse. Imagine some hapless soul having one or two drinks, still under the legal limit for blood alcohol, but containing alcohol nonetheless. His car decides his LF brake needs application which swerves the vehicle into oncoming traffic.

I'll let your imagination determine the outcome, but suppose the car is wrecked beyond all possibility of determining that the computer was at fault.

In spite of his best defense, "I don't know, Your Honor, I just lost control," he's screwed.

Thanks, GM.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Turning the active handling off isn't enough to protect yourself from a malfunction. You would need to unplug the steering position sensor located under the steering column below the dash. Remove plastic cover and the plug is right there. Less than a minute to unplug. ABS will still work, but active handling and its ability to apply a brake and throw you into the next lane will be disabled
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Turning the active handling off isn't enough to protect yourself from a malfunction. You would need to unplug the steering position sensor located under the steering column below the dash. Remove plastic cover and the plug is right there. Less than a minute to unplug. ABS will still work, but active handling and its ability to apply a brake and throw you into the next lane will be disabled
I don't follow-why wouldn't turning off the Active Handling prevent a defective steering position sensor from erroneously applying one of the wheel's brakes?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneman91
I don't follow-why wouldn't turning off the Active Handling prevent a defective steering position sensor from erroneously applying one of the wheel's brakes?
Very good question Phoneman, Why the heck wouldn't it work, I always turn mine off when I start it up as I don't trust it!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Did the same thing on my 04. Ended up being the SWPS. Changed it out and no problems since.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Because even when active handling is turned off, the system is still active in the background. When a fault is detected, it can still apply a brake randomly. Had it happen on my '01 Z06 during the 2003 One Lap of America. System was off and the right front brake applied for a second while doing 100+ mph at Road America. Did it every ignition cycle each time the car went over 100 mph on the track. DRM was our sponsor. They called GM powertrain engineers and we were told the only way to completely deactivate the active handling system was to pull the steering position sensor.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You learn something new everyday... And GM has no recall on this? What about other GM cars?

Thanks for the post..... Who would be at fault is it caused an accident?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coia96vette
Did the same thing on my 04. Ended up being the SWPS. Changed it out and no problems since.

Happened to me also but the Extended Warranty covered the repair.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
Had the same thing here. Mine was a Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) failure. search it... $60 and 3 hours of labor is accurate

To answer your question, the active handling system was not designed with fault protection in mind. If you have a SWPS that is just off slightly, it will cause the yaw rate sensor to detect zero yaw when it sees the wheel as displaced. It will then use differential braking to achieve its calculated desired yaw rate.

Safest thing you can do right now is turn off Active Handling each time you get in the car and then your only "spirited" drive should be directly to the shop. In the end, the fix is your call. Some people have driven years without needing Active Handling. I drove across country (I-40) before I got mine fixed (couldn't stop the movers).

Edit: I just read the above... DO NOT DISABLE ABS!!! That system is working perfectly fine/as directed. As I Stated, turn off Active Handling, that is the system signaling your brakes to go into action.

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling almost caused a wreck today

Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 AM
DAV162
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know this in the future.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by dillongurj
Hi everyone this is my fist time on this forum or any forum. I REALLY NEED YOUR EXPERT OPINION. While I was driving my 2003 on a dry sunny day on a busy street. I was stopped at red light and there was another car in front of me and when the lights turned green the traffic started moving. I was in the left late and when I started changing lanes to go into my right late the car just started fish tailing the rear right side started going to the right. I tried to straighten the car but it seemed like it had a mind of its own. So I ended up in the left lane and then I clipped a vehicle fishtailed to right that is when I hit a pedestrian sitting on the bus strop. I tried everything I could to save him but he passed away at the hospital. This happened more then 3 years ago. Since then I been hit with post-traumatic tress disorder. The police charged me with street racing and dangerous driving causing death since I was driving a Corvette but in court they couldn’t approve street racing so crown dropped that charge and just went with dangerous driving. The judge decided to give me jail sentence since he didn’t find any other reason for the car fishtailing and the police didn’t even get a engineer to look at the Corvettes black box to pull the codes they just hired a regular mechanic who looked at the brakes and tires and things. SO PLEASE HELP ME I JUST HAD A NEWBORN AND I NEED TO BE HERE WITH HER.

Let me be the first......

HUH?????
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Let me be the first......

HUH?????
Troll