Sponsored by:

~*~*~ Leaf Springs out Coils, Rt. 66 Mufflers In ~*~*~

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 AM
PeterB
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default ~*~*~ Leaf Springs out Coils, Rt. 66 Mufflers In ~*~*Pics

My local Italiano paisano CF friend Dominick referred me to a local mechanic Juan at A & J Melrose Park that did an awesome $200 installation on my Coil Overs and Billy Boat Rt66 Mufflers Saturday morning through the afternoon. I test drove her several times and Juan adjusted the feather lights on 4 occasions before leaving it be at 2” at the front and 2.5” over the rubber at the back. She still looks as though she could go another inch on both ends as the coils will more than likely not settle/seat on their own another .5" as Juan suspected. X pipe never arrived on time Saturday morning as expected so another trip to the mechanics is in order to get her done. Mufflers sound pretty good, deeper tone although I expected just a little more volume from them. Might have to go with the Is7 manifolds as Dom suggested or perhaps even consider shorty headers. If anyone has any gently used for sale please advise. The polished stainless steel tips look great and a definite improvement over the stock tiny whiny ends. Although they are right up against both sides of the C5 logo plate. Note to self; I definitely have to be more cautious when driving as I scraped down the driveway little more then before and also bottomed out once today at this new height. The car visually looks smaller, lower in the garage and in entering her but there’s still plenty of room on the coils to go down some more. I could probably use an alignment. Will have to budget for it and wait a little longer and see. Special thanks to all of you at the CF and special thanks to Dominic8 for all your coaching & advice. Memo OldC5 & Brian Blitz for all your suggestions and help.

Special thanks also go out to Eric Youssefi at Pfadt for expediting my back ordered Coils. Super guy and outstanding at customer service satisfaction. Props out to you Eric, I give you FiveStars handsome. You Can't go wrong in dealing with Eric. GoodAy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Rocker Panel Rods Installed worked good as Toque suggested. Good tip, thanks Mark.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It was getting close to lunch time, I went back in to talk to Juans Office Mgr MariaMia and asked her to please order two large Pizzas for us and she graciously did. She claimed the AC was not blowing as much as she preferred. I understood. Wink.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

They were straight as an arrow back at the shop but might need a minor adjustment to square them up a little better..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

She still looks as though she could go down just a little more...

[IMG][/IMG]

Gentlemen. Thanks for looking...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by PeterB; 07-29-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Awesome upgrades. Now the car is going to both handle and sound great, as if reborn!

I also like the way you do your topics, spicin' it up and keeping people's attention lol

Like a sir
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Great job Peter , get an alignment , get steel end links and get rid of the plastic ones. Nice pics , I am not talking about the car .

Last edited by oldC5; 07-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM
PeterB
Drifting

Originally Posted by oldC5
Great job Peter , get an alignment , get steel end links and get rid of the plastic ones.
Thank you. Steel end links Vs plastic? Please clarify not sure what your referring to Memo. PM it. Thanks again pal.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM
megawatt1203
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice upgrades. Great write up-that was fun.

Lower another 1/2"-3/4"
Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by PeterB.
Thank you. Steel end links Vs plastic? Please clarify not sure what your referring to Memo. PM it. Thanks again pal.

Gene Culley @ GM Parts Warehouse
metal end links use part number 20822934 for $26.75 each.

Pete just do a search right here on the Forum. Replaced mine
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

Like the car, looks great, same with the office help!!! One thing I'm having a problem with PeterB!!! That darn Yankee accent or is it an Italian one. When you first wrote Paisano I just thought you didn't know how to spell PIANO
Old 07-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great Pete! Now you just need to top it all off with C6 Z51 sways and metal end links!

I really want coil overs, someday! I'm jealous!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,480 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Looks great Pete! The mod bug has certainly bit you hard. I remember when you got your vert!

Diggin' the boss lady! Wouldn't mind some overtime pizza & beer!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Nice upgrades your vette is looking sweet.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Very nice upgrades to the car. It sure is looking good.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Couldn't tee them up today so I played a little powder puff tennis instead with Ann and had some laughs, a little fun on this beautiful evening Thank you gentlemen on the compliments, I'm pleased as well. That's correct MSG, I picked her it in March for $22k and would not have known any better on the CCWs, rubber, BB or any of it, if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks a lot, I'm in an extra $7k thanks to you The car does bring me joy so deep down I'm grateful. Again thank you to all of you at the Corvette Forum for your posts, photos and incredible knowledge on these awesome American legends

Brian on the coils. Personally being a novice, not a pit guy by no means. I really don't notice any major difference other than obviously cosmetically. Now its only been a couple days, lets get a couple hundred miles on her and lets see if it's noticeable to me then. These coils where a couple hundred dollars over the other ones so based on Memos recommendation I spend the deuce on Pfadts with the lifetime warranty. Maybe with the sway bars, metal tips it improves the cornering? Not sure yet, we'll have to wait and see. As far as the Muffs, I like the extra volume on the idle/acceleration. Thank you.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Couldn't tee them up today so I played a little powder puff tennis instead with Ann and had some laughs, a little fun on this beautiful evening Thank you gentlemen on the compliments, I'm pleased as well. That's correct MSG, I picked her it in March for $22k and would not have known any better on the CCWs, rubber, BB or any of it, if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks a lot, I'm in an extra $7k thanks to you The car does bring me joy so deep down I'm grateful. Again thank you to all of you at the Corvette Forum for your posts, photos and incredible knowledge on these awesome American legends

Brian on the coils. Personally being a novice, not a pit guy by no means. I really don't notice any major difference other than obviously cosmetically. Now its only been a couple days, lets get a couple hundred miles on her and lets see if it's noticeable to me then. These coils where a couple hundred dollars over the other ones so based on Memos recommendation I spend the deuce on Pfadts with the lifetime warranty. Maybe with the sway bars, metal tips it improves the cornering? Not sure yet, we'll have to wait and see. As far as the Muffs, I like the extra volume on the idle/acceleration. Thank you.
Come on Peter metal end links not metal tips Novice !!!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Domin8r
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as the Muffs, I like the extra volume on the idle/acceleration. Thank you.
I bet you like muffs!!
Glad you like 'em Pete, it looks so much better than those stock tips. Now we'll get you some end links and maybe some shorty headers...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Nice post, I always enjoy other people spending C5 money so that I can better figure out my C5 buying decisions.

I would research any decision on the shorty headers carefully. Pfadt has posted that they had considered such a product, but couldn't develop enough performance gains to be worthwhile for them.

Perhaps others are more skilled in product development, or just less critical of the value of their products to the consumer. I don't know, but Pfadt has a good name, so I thought it worthwhile to repeat.

At my skill level , all I can do is repeat other stuff. I checked this out because shorty headers are the only legal option for me.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by megawatt1203
Nice upgrades. Great write up-that was fun.

Lower another 1/2"-3/4"
Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks great Peter, you will notice a difference with coil overs to std style suspension. I agree with the other comments, heavier sways like the C6 Z06, Hotchkiss or others with the metal end links (why metal, cause the are a whole stronger than the plastic ones) Gene at GM Partswarehouse is great to deal with. - see we will help you spend your money
I al,so agree on dropping another 1/2 to 3/4 inch.
From memory mine dropped an inch and a half.

Very nice mods and a great looking C5!

Don't we all need an office assistant like yours

Get notified of new replies

To ~*~*~ Leaf Springs out Coils, Rt. 66 Mufflers In ~*~*~

Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
PeterB
Drifting

Hey guys, thank you again for all your posts responses and comments.

Quick ? How much more volume would I get from installing a gently used set of LG headers on her? Being a Vert and having a few miles on me, I really do not want it too loud, but a little more say 15-20% would be very HP how is that affected with the added intake too? Do you also need to $pend another nickel to get it tuned then?

Guys, I'm starting to become concerned and may need some professional help with this bug bite. I feel it $tarting to get out of control

Thank you. GoodAy
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
boostedfury
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Great write up and a very nice progression to a clean vert!

Once the mod bug bites, it's in you DNA for life!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey guys, thank you again for all your posts responses and comments.

Quick ? How much more volume would I get from installing a gently used set of LG headers on her? Being a Vert and having a few miles on me, I really do not want it too loud, but a little more say 15-20% would be very HP how is that affected with the added intake too? Do you also need to $pend another nickel to get it tuned then?

Guys, I'm starting to become concerned and may need some professional help with this bug bite. I feel it $tarting to get out of control

Thank you. GoodAy
Sorry Peter you needed professional help before the Corvette.

Quick Reply: ~*~*~ Leaf Springs out Coils, Rt. 66 Mufflers In ~*~*~