Sponsored by:

"Stange" leak noticed this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default "Stange" leak noticed this morning...

Happy Friday all. I took the car out for a short spin last night and once again really enjoyed a good top down drive. This morning when I went out to the garage to get in the "daily driver" and head to work I noticed something under the Vette. Although I did not have time to investigate, I noticed a wet spot on the garage floor forward of the passenger side front tire just about under the headlight (under the front facia) about 6 inches in diameter. It is not from the air conditioner, it has not been used lately. When I put my finger in it, it did feel/look like it was oil and not water/antifreeze. I have not done any work on the car in that area so, not sure what it is from. I did not have time to even lift the hood, but the only thing I can think of oil wise that might (I say "might" because not really sure at all) be up that far forward would be line for the tranny cooler or something of that nature. I will look at it closely when I get home tonight, but thought I might get some expert speculation while I am at work. I know that oil can run down frame rails, electrical wires and such and the leak may be from somewhere further back, but just thought an oil leak that far forward was kind of odd. The car has had absolutely no other leak issues at all in the past. Thanks. -Glenn
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Check your motor mounts as the OEM's are hydraulic. I know this as I have a leaking one. I plan on using urethane replacements. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks 99 Vet, but that far forward? -Glenn
Old 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Anyone else with ideas/thoughts (I know, complete guess work without seeing it. but being that far forward is kind of strange in my mind).
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
hamhead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headlight fluid.

In all serious, I don't have much clue either for something that forward. Best idea in my mind is to clean it up and see if it reappears overnight.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Do you have an EOC built in the radiator?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

I certainly hope it is not the headlight fluid. I just spent a lot of money getting some racing headlight fluid put in and I would hate to lose any of it!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

No, I don't have a EOC and not even sure if our cars have a TOC (standard). I am more familiar with diesel engine work than this car right now, but learning the longer I have it and the more I play with things.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM
FNFastZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Jenne
I certainly hope it is not the headlight fluid. I just spent a lot of money getting some racing headlight fluid put in and I would hate to lose any of it!
Your profile says you have an '03, definitely not headlight fluid, that option was discontinued in '02. Most likely it's...

Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

I think you might be on to something FNFast...

I forgot the headlight fluid was discontinued in '02. The only reason I have it is I installed to '02 headlights in my '03. I just had to have that racing headlight fluid after reading all the reviews about performance gains.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you know someone about five years from now is going to read this thread and respond to it thinking this might be their problem also.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Good point fwrogg, maybe this should be a sticky!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Now- you guys are gonna get all the newbies twisted up here !

Seriously . . . .
are there cooler lines that run up to the front through that area to the radiators on the front of the car ?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

That is what I am really trying to determine CQRT, sorry...got off on a fun tangent there. I will most definitely find where the leak is from when I get home this evening. I am hoping there are some type of cooling lines that run that far forward and it is an easy fix. Maybe a loose clamp or even a split line. -Glenn
Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks Chuck. Well, determined the leak is indeed tranny fluid (a little red in color). It has not leaked anymore since it cooled off (and obviously no flow through the lines while not running). I went out there last night after work and looked all around the area from the top and bottom with a flashlight. The spot on the garage floor is about 6" in diameter. I could not see much of anything from the top and the fascia/bumper kept me from seeing much from the bottom side. I have some new clear corners coming in for install any day and while I am doing that I will have better access to the area. I am guessing a loose fitting or something on the bottom right side of the radiator where the cooling lines enter, but we will see.

Get notified of new replies

To "Stange" leak noticed this morning...

Quick Reply: "Stange" leak noticed this morning...