Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:15 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Stock vs. Aftermarket Air Intake Discovery

Car: '01, MN6 Coupe with Corsa Indy/Daytona and X-pipe, Custom Tuned

Aftermarket Intake: Halltech Stinger

I am in California, the land of overboard emmissions regulations. I have had this intake on the car for a while now, and every two years I must remove it and put the stock airbox back on when I take it for the mandatory "smog" test.

Interestingly, every time I do this, I notice that the car seems easier to drive with the stock airbox. More specifically, with the stock airbox installed, shifting between gears is smooth and effortless. Conversely, with the aftermarket intake installed, I have to be very careful and deliberate when coordinating the perfect amount of pressure on the gas pedal with the perfect rate of release of the clutch to get a smooth and comfortable shift between 1st and 2nd gear when driving "normally". If I don't do it exactly right, given the desired rate of acceleration, whether the A/C is on or not, etc., I either get a lurch or end up slipping the clutch much more than I would like. It's a real PITA. Of course, the point is moot when I am hauling a$$ off the line.

I used to think that I was just imagining it, but I got my car smog tested again yesterday, and this time I specifically looked out for any changes. I am now 100% convinced that is significantly easier to drive with the stock intake in place.

You probably won't notice anything in an automatic, so has anyone else with a stick noticed this behavior?

FWIW, I've had two completely different custom tunes applied, and although I did not do it specifically for this issue, both times I had the tuners address the issue, to no avail.

Even more interestingly, I really don't feel much SOTP difference between the stock airbox and the aftermarket. Sure, I HEAR the difference; the stock intake has a higher-pitched "scream" when I romp on it, whereas while the the after-market emits a much more throaty sound, to be honest, I am not so sure I FEEL any difference in performance. In fact, I don't feel the car really accelerates in a manner that I would expect would relate to the increase of sound the intake makes. What I mean is, when I romp on it with the stock airbox installed, I can feel the car accelerate relative to the increase in sound of the stock intake, but that does not happen with the aftermarket installed. In fact, as the aftermarket gets louder the car's acceleration rate does NOT increase, so it actually sounds like it "bogs" (only a description; the car does not literally bog down). Admittedly, I've only had it dyno'd with the aftermarket intake installed, so I don't know for sure, but it sure doesn't feel like there is any appreciable difference, and if there is I would bet it's not big enough to notice.

In comparison, I replaced only the stock filter element on my C4 with a K&N element (no changes to the airbox) and I immediately noticed a big difference in performance, yet I did not experience any negative effects with drivability.

Now, I am not saying that the aftermarket intake on my C5 does not make a larger volume of unrestricted air available to the motor, what I am saying is that it is possible that a stock motor (aftermarket exhaust notwithstanding) simply cannot make use of that air, and that the stock airbox is all it needs, even when you stomp on it. On the other hand, unless I am missing something, given that factory airboxes are designed primarily to protect filter elements and meet smog law requirements, an open-air aftermarket element will make a larger volume of air available to the motor, and the stock snorkel may actually help increase the velocity of air going in, instead of it getting bottled up at the manifold's intake port which could happen with a larger aftermarket snorkel.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm thinking that it really doesn't matter how much larger in volume an after-market snorkel is. The intake port of the manifold is only so big, so unless that snorkel is shaped in a way that creates a vortex that increases the velocity of that larger volume of air, or at the very least does NOT bottleneck that air, the larger snorkel is not only unnecessary, it can actually negatively affect performance and drivability. When I think about it, I would think that you would need quite the setup to really design a snorkel that is more efficient than one that GM designed, so unless you have considerable resources similar to what GM has contributed into this specific area of design, you'd be really hard-pressed to design a better snorkel.

I am going to try the following:

1) The aftermarket filter I have happens to fit on the stock snorkel, so I am going to try using the aftermarket element with the stock snorkel. My guess would be that it will allow more breathability, and the stock snorkel will prevent the larger volume of air from "bottlenecking" at the intake.

2) If the stock airbox fits on the aftermarket snorkel, I will try that just to see if I notice anything at all, given that the inside of the aftermaket snorkel is smooth. I doubt it, and in fact it might be better for the insides to NOT be smooth (remember those couplers they sell on the premise of them being smoother than the stock accordion bellows?) .

I am going to continue to drive with the stock air intake system installed this week, to make some additional notes before doing the hybrid-swap, so if anyone has already done something like this, please post your findings, so I don't end up doing this for nothing.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

waiting on your results
Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM
hamhead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, everything you're considering doing has been done by aftermarket companies that designed the intakes in the first place, except with better equipment and access to a dyno/flow benches to compare even the smallest changes in design and its affect on horsepower and cfm flowed. If a smaller "snorkel" or some other element of design increased horsepower for marginal/next to no additional cost, any aftermarket company would jump on the opportunity to market that additional power to attract more buyers compared to the other guy.

While the power gained with an intake change is not enormous and might not be enough to give you a real seat of the pants difference, there have been literally hundreds of independent dynos done that show the gains.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a "Blackwing" on my "99" coupe a few years ago and other than it looks cooler it doesn't seem to effect performance at all! The long tubes and x pipe I installed do seem to make a difference however at least seat of the pants wise anyway.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hamhead
For what its worth, everything you're considering doing has been done by aftermarket companies that designed the intakes in the first place, except with better equipment and access to a dyno/flow benches to compare even the smallest changes in design and its affect on horsepower and cfm flowed. If a smaller "snorkel" or some other element of design increased horsepower for marginal/next to no additional cost, any aftermarket company would jump on the opportunity to market that additional power to attract more buyers compared to the other guy.

While the power gained with an intake change is not enormous and might not be enough to give you a real seat of the pants difference, there have been literally hundreds of independent dynos done that show the gains.
I guess you misunderstood my post. To clarify:

I am not looking to make a better moustrap.

If the gain is so minute, but negatively affects drivability, the gain is simply not worth it, especially if that gain comes at a potentially high price, in terms of negative byproducts. The affects I described above can actually contribute to premature failure of maintenance parts such as clutch, torque tube bushings, etc., which makes the miniscule gains NOT a smart thing to do.

Also, what intrigues me the most is that on my C4, while I could feel the release of back pressure when I installed an aftermarket exhaust, simply changing the air filter element gave me what felt like a HUGE increase, even more than the exhaust did. On my C5, I FEEL next to NO increase from the aftermarket air intake, but HEAR plenty in terms of a throatier sound that you would THINK would translate into better performance. But, that "cooler" sound sure doesn't seem to really do anything. And, definitely not worth a darned thing, if it makes shifting a PITA.

Remember, I am talking about a stock motor. I can see how doing heads/cam, or something along those lines, would indeed benefit from a bigger, badder air intake, but from what I've experienced, the stock C5 intake may indeed be close to being as good as it gets for the stock C5 motor, although I think the stock airbox MIGHT restrict flow a LITTLE. In fact, the inroads in technology between the C4 and C5 probably helped GM maximize input and output efficiency on the C5, which is why gains from aftermarket exhausts and intakes are marginal on a C5 compared to when they're put on a C4.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
I installed a "Blackwing" on my "99" coupe a few years ago and other than it looks cooler it doesn't seem to effect performance at all! The long tubes and x pipe I installed do seem to make a difference however at least seat of the pants wise anyway.
I bet that exhaust indeed does make a difference. Thanks for chiming in with feedback relative to what I am talking about in this thread.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:01 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16
waiting on your results
I just put the aftermarket filter on the stock snorkel. Haven't driven it yet, but will in the next couple of days. I want to drive it like I normally would, not just take it for a "let-me-see-what-that-did" drive before I post results.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
I guess you misunderstood my post. To clarify:

I am not looking to make a better moustrap.

If the gain is so minute, but negatively affects drivability, the gain is simply not worth it, especially if that gain comes at a potentially high price, in terms of negative byproducts. The affects I described above can actually contribute to premature failure of maintenance parts such as clutch, torque tube bushings, etc., which makes the miniscule gains NOT a smart thing to do.

Also, what intrigues me the most is that on my C4, while I could feel the release of back pressure when I installed an aftermarket exhaust, simply changing the air filter element gave me what felt like a HUGE increase, even more than the exhaust did. On my C5, I FEEL next to NO increase from the aftermarket air intake, but HEAR plenty in terms of a throatier sound that you would THINK would translate into better performance. But, that "cooler" sound sure doesn't seem to really do anything. And, definitely not worth a darned thing, if it makes shifting a PITA.

Remember, I am talking about a stock motor. I can see how doing heads/cam, or something along those lines, would indeed benefit from a bigger, badder air intake, but from what I've experienced, the stock C5 intake may indeed be close to being as good as it gets for the stock C5 motor, although I think the stock airbox MIGHT restrict flow a LITTLE. In fact, the inroads in technology between the C4 and C5 probably helped GM maximize input and output efficiency on the C5, which is why gains from aftermarket exhausts and intakes are marginal on a C5 compared to when they're put on a C4.
I don’t know what year C4 you have but if you have the TPI Mass AIR intake then that is why you felt more of a power increase with the K/N filter.
That is a very restrictive Intake system.
All the incoming air has to pass thru the Small MASS Air unit opening.
I worked for a company (Can’t tell the name as I was R&D Tech) that makes after market Intakes and filters for C4-C6 vettes and they tried all kinds of way to increase flow rates thru that small opening (I have a prototype one Engineer old guy with more than 20 patents gave me when he retired).
The later C4 Tpi (speed Density) and Lt1's you will see don’t have that restriction.
The C5 intake is allot more efficient so the after market filters and Air boxes are not much better than factory except maybe in the higher RPM ranges.

Last edited by rad928music; 07-17-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Change
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Anyone looking for any gains with a simple air intake will be disappointed. For those who like to show their cars it's a good addition but otherwise by itself it won't do much.

Air in-air out, you have to get the air out.

On the L98 it had a very restrictive intake, that's why so many people ported their systems or converted to LT1 intakes.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 07-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

I think it's time to make something really clear. This thread is not about gains from an aftermarket air intake kit. It is about the side effects. I only mentioned the gains to try and shed a little perspective, in that the gains are VERY modest, at BEST (with a stock motor). While dyno numbers will show an increase in HP at wide-open throttle for an extended period of time, even then it will be so small you still won't FEEL it (although you can run around with that printout in your pocket so you can brag to all your friends that your numbers on paper are higher than stock).

So, let's try to maintain the integrity of this thread to posts that relate to the fact/"discovery" that aftermarket air intake kits MAY cause side effects that MAY not be worth their aquisition, or things we MIGHT be able to do to prevent or alleviate these issues.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rad928music
I don’t know what year C4 you have but if you have the TPI Mass AIR intake then that is why you felt more of a power increase with the K/N filter.
That is a very restrictive Intake system.
All the incoming air has to pass thru the Small MASS Air unit opening.
I worked for a company (Can’t tell the name as I was R&D Tech) that makes after market Intakes and filters for C4-C6 vettes and they tried all kinds of way to increase flow rates thru that small opening (I have a prototype one Engineer old guy with more than 20 patents gave me when he retired).
The later C4 Tpi (speed Density) and Lt1's you will see don’t have that restriction.
The C5 intake is allot more efficient so the after market filters and Air boxes are not much better than factory except maybe in the higher RPM ranges.
I had a 93 C4, which did not have the Mass Air Intake set up. Nevertheless, it was indeed astounding. I put the exhaust on first, and drove it around that way for a while awaiting the arrival of the K&N element. There was SOME SOTP improvement, to be sure. But, when I installed the K&N, it was like WOW! It was like a whole new car. I really couldn't believe it. My wife even noticed it, even from the passenger seat, and she was all smiles when behind the wheel. I'm pretty sure the exhaust helped me experience the WOW factor from the K&N, but it blew me away, especially considering the fact that I still had the stock airbox.

What you said about the stock vs. aftermarket does seem to ring true, at least regarding my C5, from what I am experincing , and what I mentioned in one of the posts regarding dyno numbers. After all, dyno-testing typically centers around "how much HP does my car have?", which is typically measured at the upper-end of the output. So, while you might see a small increase in numbers, those numbers only mean something when you're way up there, thus you surely won't notice it on the street, even during "spirited" driving. Well, I don't anyway, and I am quite sensitive to such things, if you haven't already determined by my ****-ytical posts.

Thanks for taking the time to post such pertinent info. Perhaps what me might consider, given your info, is that the aftermarket kits affect how the MAF sensor fits into the equation. I mean, with that shifting thing I was talking about, it almost seems as though the computer thinks the car is still accelerating, or something, when you put in the clutch on a stick, and keeps the timing advanced or something, which then causes the lurching when you release the clutch/step on the gas again. At least, that theoretically makes sense. And, I specifically mentioned that I have a stick because that's the only time I notice something amiss, hence AT owners would not notice anything at all, unlike MN6 owners who experience this PITA every time they take off from a standstill like a bat out of hell.

I will see what happens with the way I have it now, and post results, and we can go from there, if you're so inclined.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

OK, I have driven enough with the aftermarket filter fitted to the stock snorkel/coupler to be able to present a preliminary finding of how each combination affects drivability. The car drives/shifts easier with the following installed, listed from best to worst:

1) Stock airbox and stock snorkel/coupler.
2) Aftermarket filter fitted to the stock coupler/snorkel.
3) Aftermarket filter fitted to aftermarket coupler/snorkel.

In other words, the aftermarket filter with the stock coupler makes for better drivability than when coupled with the aftermarket snorkel it came with, but shifting from 1st to 2nd is still not as smooth (for lack of a better term) as with the complete stock air intake setup.

It is possible that because there is so much more air available with the aftermarket filter, that you really need a recalibrated MAF sensor to compensate for the open-air element. I also wonder if that's why I don't FEEL a performance difference, although I HEAR more air rushing in when I romp on it. It is entirely possible that although the PCM can adjust to a certain extent, the stock MAF sensor simply does not have the range designed into it to be able to instruct the computer to PROPERLY make use of that increase in air. I mean, I have noticed that some aftermarket air intake kits include different MAF sensors, and maybe this is why. And, as far as I can tell from pics of one of the aftermarket MAF sensor-equipped air intake kits, their MAF sensors are indeed different, in that they don't have the perforated metal screen that the stock one has. I've always thought the screen on the stock MAF sensor was designed to break up the column of air to the engine can "breathe" it better. Comments on this?

It is also possible that even with an upgraded MAF sensor, the stock air intake is already enough for the stock motor, so even if you do change the MAF sensor to accommodate for more air, although the nice drivability will be there, the aspiration design of the stock motor still might not be able to maximize use of the extra air. As a matter of fact, doesn't the C5 Z06 have a different airbox than the regular C5?

But, since I notice NO appreciable performance difference between the fully stock air intake system and the after-market open-air system, the compromise in shifting "smoothness" is simply not worth having an open-air system. Of course, I can't speak for aftermarket kits that include MAF sensors, so any of you that have such a kit, I'd sure like to hear about your experience.

If my theory about the MAF stuff is correct, then it stands to reason that I should be able to run the aftermarket snorkel with the stock airbox (provided it actually fits together) without compromising drivability. At this point, since I see that there really is no performance benefit to speak of with a stock motor, the only reason I'm going to try this is because I do miss the throatier sound.

But, in the end, if I do decide to run the stock airbox, I would at least like to have a K&N element in there. From my experience with K&N elements in my C4, Suburban and Acura TL, I think the stock airbox will at least "shape" the air column going in to match the "shape" that the stock C5 motor was designed to accept. Just a thought, to be sure, so comment from anyone with a K&N element in a stock airbox would be appreciated.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-19-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:55 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

I just thought of something else:

Am I looking at this all wrong, and the real culprit is that open-air systems suck in HOTTER engine bay, and that the open-air element also results in a lower velocity streaming into the engine, thus affecting drivability?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find this interesting because when I had just an aftermarket Cai installed, I didn't notice any difference in power, sound, or drivability. I've never even heard of drivability issues from one. Seems like if you're having issues with it, you should just take it off. I doubt you'd miss the 3ish hp.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

I'm surprised you didn't notice AT LEAST the sound difference. What CAI did you have? Did it include a snorkel? That's what makes a BIG difference in sound when you romp on it. And, I've never heard of issues before, either, nor have I ever had issues with one on any other car.

FWIW, the drivability issue is really when shifting, and I didn't know it was such a pain until I swapped the stock intake back on. It felt like it required so much less concentration to coordinate a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd. It felt like such a relief every two years. This year, when I noticed it again, when I put the stock one back on, I decided to really pay attention to whether or not the car felt like it had any less power, and I noticed that although it still seemed to have the same power, it was nowhere near as loud/throaty. But, then again, if you haven't noticed by my posts, on this thread and on others such as my 6-lights-on mod and my Corsa exhaust thread, I am quite picky. Shhhhh, don't let my wife know I admitted to that.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-20-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I've been agonizing over the intake mod for months now, and I think your research pushed me back over the edge to maintaining the stock box. I love the drive-ability of my Z, and now I think I will just change to a K&N for the stock box. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I went back to the stock air box after having had a Volant Twin cone intake. I did this going back and forth at least 3 times since i needed to be sure. I, like the OP, came to the conclusion that the car drives better and is smoother with the stock setup. I never felt any gain with the aftermarket intake, only increased sucking noise. I also ended up with a dirty MAF since oiled gauze type filters do not filter air as well as paper elements. In the end, I felt it wasn't worth the trouble.

PS: I did always have a Z06 air box cover upgrade which I think is perfect for base C5's.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock vs. Aftermarket Air Intake Discovery

Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I went back to the stock air box after having had a Volant Twin cone intake. I also ended up with a dirty MAF since oiled gauze type filters do not filter air as well as paper elements. In the end, I felt it wasn't worth PS: I did always have a Z06 air box cover upgrade which I think is perfect for base C5's.
Then perhaps one of those types of filters are not worth the bother either?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:40 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Take a look at You Tube's CAI MYTHS BUSTED. This may help some people make that expensive decision.

Rog
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
I'm surprised you didn't notice AT LEAST the sound difference. What CAI did you have? Did it include a snorkel? That's what makes a BIG difference in sound when you romp on it. And, I've never heard of issues before, either, nor have I ever had issues with one on any other car.

FWIW, the drivability issue is really when shifting, and I didn't know it was such a pain until I swapped the stock intake back on. It felt like it required so much less concentration to coordinate a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd. It felt like such a relief every two years. This year, when I noticed it again, when I put the stock one back on, I decided to really pay attention to whether or not the car felt like it had any less power, and I noticed that although it still seemed to have the same power, it was nowhere near as loud/throaty. But, then again, if you haven't noticed by my posts, on this thread and on others such as my 6-lights-on mod and my Corsa exhaust thread, I am quite picky. Shhhhh, don't let my wife know I admitted to that.
All I hear is exhaust when I get on it

Quick Reply: Stock vs. Aftermarket Air Intake Discovery