[Z06] Roadtrip in the z06..

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by 2JZSC3
Id definitely say take it, one thing to consider since you are renting a cabin is the location though.

Wife and I rented a cabin in Pigeon forge TN and didnt realize the road was going to be lots of gravel and dips to get to it on top of a mountain..

Was driving a 2003 Lexus gs430 at the time, had it been lowered it would have sucked a little..
Soo I just called the cabin people. After viewing the place on google maps, the road didn't look paved. I spoke to the owner and he said the final road to the cabin is definitely not paved and has stone and gravel all along the way. That pretty much rules out me taking my car. I don't want to kick up all those rocks.

Thank you for all the advice though. Fortunately I've been to the museum before. It would've been neat to take the z06 there, but it'll have to wait for next time.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 PM
LSxFTMFW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aw that sucks man. lol when I bought my car I drove it back for 23 hours straight. Didn't think twice about it. Best day of driving of my life and really was able to get used to my car. hopefully you will be able to take it on trip in the near future!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I'm still tempted to take it. I think it'd be a lot of fun. It's going to be a last minute decision honestly. Which keys do I grab...

Thing is that I'm planning a Florida trip this winter in which I'll be driving, so I can always take my car on that. I've ridden my motorcycle all over the Eastern USA. I love long trips.

Last edited by dangerz; 07-12-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:17 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Ok I'm back to thinking I'm going to take it.

|Take it ------- X ------------------------------------------------------- Don't Take it |

Here's what the road looks like:

Last edited by dangerz; 07-12-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 157 Posts

Go for it....my son and I took a road trip from NC through Tennessee hills into Ky to the Museum. Went to Mammoth Caves for a day, BeechBend dragway one night, the Museum (whole day) then south to Nashville, then on to the Jack Daniels distillery just outside of Tullahoma, TN.
On the way home hit a TN Muscle car museum and the Biltmore Estates in Asheville, NC.

We had a wonderful time...my son is thirty four lives in NYC and really learned all about Corvettes on the trip and gained an appreciation of how well built the Z-06 is.

Wishing you a great trip!

Fred
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 02EBzEE
Bought my Z 3 years ago and drove back home 14hrs from Kentucky. It wasn't bad at all and I'm 6'3 250. AAA is a must! Saved my a$$ a couple times just this year! Well worth the couple bucks.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:51 PM
spoolin7
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the C5 is a great road trip machine. the wife and I took the Z06 on several road trips (it's currently down at the moment). one trip was 3,000 miles over the course of 5 days. one was to DC and back. been to chicago with it a couple of times.

luckily, the only issue we ever encountered was having the shifter bolts come loose while in Texas. lost all ability to shift into 1st or 2nd. limped it to a parts store, got some cheap sockets and some loctite. did a parking lot repair and it was good to go.

i have a plug kit and 12v air pump i keep in the car at all times just in case of a flat.

edit: one of our chicago trips entailed delivering a set of wheels to a guy up there. we fit four 18" z06 replicas, in boxes, in the trunk area and drove all the way up there. you'd be surprised what you can fit in there.

Last edited by spoolin7; 07-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In my opinion, the C5 Z06 is a GREAT road trip car. I drove 4200 miles in 2006 (on Michelin PS2s) and a 2400 mile trip (Washington to Texas) in 2009 (on Nitto NT-05s) without any problems, although on both trips I encountered some snow..............
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

So, which car did you take?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM
93civEJ1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

enjoy. ...what part you staying at up here with us? Any trips to Dollywood?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 AM
oldvtr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have made a number of trips from central Illinois to South Carolina with two golf bags, duffels with clothes for two for two weeks and a cooler with room to spare. Even drove Tail-of-the-Dragon with all of the above in the trunk!
Load up and go!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
So, which car did you take?
Ended up taking my wife's car. I was going to take the z until I decided that I didn't want to risk all the rock dings from the driveway. Turns out I made a great decision. The rest of the road would've been great and I would've had a blast in the mountain roads up there, but the driveway to the cabin was about 3/4 mile long, all rocks, lots of dips and then a very steep hill up to the cabin itself. Once up there, it's still rock and we had the kids all running around kicking rocks all over the place. If I would've had my car, I would've wanted to move it and it would've been a hassle. We're going to Florida to see my grandparents over Christmas.. I'll take my car then.

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
enjoy. ...what part you staying at up here with us? Any trips to Dollywood?
We stayed in a cabin near Townsend. I actually didn't like Pigeon Forge very much, sorry . It was really really touristy. Gatlinburg was a lot of fun though. We really stayed around the cabin though and explored trails. No bears were spotted unfortunately.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Z06_Chris
Advanced

I drove my 03 Z06 from Tampa FL to San Diego Ca and not a single problem. Just to add to that I had my wife and her miniature cocker spaniel too and the trunk was fully loaded to include the deck behind are seats. Still was a fun trip
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 PM
93civEJ1
Pro

yeah ...pigeon forge sucks. Its like a wanna be beach strip without the beach. We do get some decent car shows up in that area though.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dangerz
Ended up taking my wife's car. I was going to take the z until I decided that I didn't want to risk all the rock dings from the driveway. Turns out I made a great decision. The rest of the road would've been great and I would've had a blast in the mountain roads up there, but the driveway to the cabin was about 3/4 mile long, all rocks, lots of dips and then a very steep hill up to the cabin itself. Once up there, it's still rock and we had the kids all running around kicking rocks all over the place. If I would've had my car, I would've wanted to move it and it would've been a hassle. We're going to Florida to see my grandparents over Christmas.. I'll take my car then.
Mine has Clear Bra on Nose, Mirrors, Rocker Panels inside and out, behind each wheel, around the Brake Duct and under the door handles. (No Nail scratches!) I have no issues driving it anywhere, other than the height of the car...
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I love to take my Z on a road trip.

Have only had one opportunity in a 350 mile trip, but the Z was AWESOME to drive on that trip. Smooth as silk!

Only regret is that it put me over the 25K mark.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Roadtrip in the z06..