Sponsored by:

Wheels On a budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Christee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
TSW Nurburgrings would be a good choice but would be at the top (if not a little more) of your price range. There are plenty of reproduction wheels out there that would look good, including the new Cup wheels. I saw that style wheel at Bloomington and it looks very good.

Or just get the stock wheels refinished.
I like Nurburgrings but they are over the budget. I am looking into repos
Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Ohyoufan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually about to buy Nuburgrings because my 5-spoke reproductions suck. All the chrome is flaking off and they're heavy as crap. Came on them when I bought the car, better than wagon wheels I suppose lol
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought 18/19 Chrome C5 deep dish thin spokes from JW Motoring for a great price. It may have been around $750. Great forum vendor to work with.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Christee
Instructor

Originally Posted by onlyavette
The damage on those wheels isn't all that bad. You can get them repaired and you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to do it. But if you get an aftermarket wheel in your price range, be sure to check the weight. A little weight added to your tire/wheel combination can make a noticeable difference in ride and acceleration.
What weight am I looking for?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Christee
Instructor

Thanks for all the information ya'll. Much appreciated
Old 07-09-2013, 02:46 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Originally Posted by Christee
The lighter the better. Stay as close to stock as possible. Maybe someone here on the forum can tell you what you stock wheel weighs.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I picked up a set of stock C5 size C6 ZR-1 silver & black rims shipped for ~$700 from forum vendor Corvettes of Houston.

Edit: just a note, the Jake skull was my own doing, they have a blank center cap normally. Also worth spending the few extra bucks to get the black wheel nuts.

Last edited by flaagan; 07-09-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohyoufan
I'd go factory z06 wheels in your case, like said above they go for around $600-$800. I'm actually in the market for some factory z06 wheels myself if I decide to not buy TSW Nurburgrings.
I considered both and went Nurburgrings. Cost was more but the really update the look of the C5 imo. Then again, the Z06 wheels are awesome and pretty timeless. They look very current today.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

I have some C6 wheels, also have some chrome after market wheels and wagon wheels that I was planing to paint black and use for winter wheels. PM me and we might be able to work out a deal and I can send you some pics
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Christee:

I hope your AC unit is still working well for you after I repaired it !

Stock Thin Spoke wheel weights are around 18lbs front, and 20 lbs rear.
Stock Z06 wheel weights are around 19lbs front, and 21lbs rear.

Its best to try to stay as light as stock. Stock wheels are VERY light, and its hard to beat them to be honest. Be careful with aftermarket cheap wheels. They are often made in China and HEAVY. 7 or so years ago I tried a cheap set of aftermarket wheels and after driving my car for 10 or so miles I felt sick to my stomach that I spent a lot of money to make my car slower. They also made my car feel a LOT less nimble on the road. I'm no race car driver, but I felt a HUGE reduction in overall performance. I sold those cheap crappy wheels the next week.

I would get your stock wheels repaired. Its going to be a LOT less money, and if your budget does not allow for light wheels then don't change from what you have.

Now with that said.... I do agree with getting the stock Z06 wheels. They are also very light, and will give you more grip with the wider tires. You should be able to pick up a set for $600 ish on the For Sale section.

Toque
Old 07-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Christee
Instructor

Hey Mark,

It works great! I could annoy you with my gratitude every time I start the car and see how bright it is. I just thought it was bright before it went completely out.
I'm still trying to make it out to the Plano meet.

The problem with having the wheels fixed is they are the only set I have and this is my dd so it will be difficult to get them in somewhere to be fixed. Also, I really just don't like the silver or whatever it's called (I'll look into powder coating) If that's my only option at this point then that is what I will do. I can't take the parts where the silver is gone and the curb rash. But looking around I really like the chrome reps but I don't see any site listing the weight.

I'm in desperate need of new tires and tpms so I need to decide on wheels as soon as possible.

All this information is so helpful.

Originally Posted by Toque
Christee:

I hope your AC unit is still working well for you after I repaired it !

Stock Thin Spoke wheel weights are around 18lbs front, and 20 lbs rear.
Stock Z06 wheel weights are around 19lbs front, and 21lbs rear.

Its best to try to stay as light as stock. Stock wheels are VERY light, and its hard to beat them to be honest. Be careful with aftermarket cheap wheels. They are often made in China and HEAVY. 7 or so years ago I tried a cheap set of aftermarket wheels and after driving my car for 10 or so miles I felt sick to my stomach that I spent a lot of money to make my car slower. They also made my car feel a LOT less nimble on the road. I'm no race car driver, but I felt a HUGE reduction in overall performance. I sold those cheap crappy wheels the next week.

I would get your stock wheels repaired. Its going to be a LOT less money, and if your budget does not allow for light wheels then don't change from what you have.

Now with that said.... I do agree with getting the stock Z06 wheels. They are also very light, and will give you more grip with the wider tires. You should be able to pick up a set for $600 ish on the For Sale section.

Toque
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 PM
onlyavette
Pro

This may not be your cup of tea but there are a lot of people that like them because of the weight. This is a good price too.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...878076456.html
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyavette
This may not be your cup of tea but there are a lot of people that like them because of the weight. This is a good price too.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...878076456.html
I run these as my street set. The fronts are only 16lbs and the rears 19. Cant get better than that without going to a 3-piece racing wheel. Ive seen these go for as low as $800, but usually more. The only down side to these is that the rears are still only 9.5" wide. Id love to have the same MAGs but in wider so I can actually run good street tires too.

Oh, I picked my complete set up for $400 from an old guy who didnt know what he had . Awesome shape too! Very rare find!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM
onlyavette
Pro

There are two sets for sale on the forum right now too.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I know you want different wheels, but yours are not really too bad.

I will probably get flamed for this since it is cheap and crude, but...

Yours are only curbed in the outer lip, so if you want a really cheap alternative, you can simply take a file to the rash area to smooth out most of it and touch up paint them. It won't be as good as professional refinish, but it will make them look a lot better for almost no cost and just a little time.

I did that on a set of polished thinspokes that were pretty bad (a lot worse than yours), and the result is that unless you are looking for it, you can't tell it was ever a problem. Mine did not have tires at the time, so it was easier to work them with the file, but if you take care you should be able to get good results.

Even if you get new wheels, they can make a nice set of spares/winter set/etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

What are my options for a better looking wheel without spending over 1k?
I would prefer to be no more than $800.
Check out this thead: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ve-wheels.html
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Post in the for sale section that you are looking to buy wheels in your budget range. Ask people to post what they have and pics if possible. A lot of times people have stuff laying around but just to lazy to make their own for sale thread lol

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels On a budget

Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM
ronsrods222362
Pro

MD Events Coordinator

For what it is woryh I had similar damage on three of four rims. I repaired them myself for about ten dollars in sandpaper and sixteen in beer.see attached pictures

Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ronsrods222362
For what it is woryh I had similar damage on three of four rims. I repaired them myself for about ten dollars in sandpaper and sixteen in beer.see attached pictures/URL]
EXCELLENT JOB! I have Z06 painted wheels, but maybe if I can find the paint I will attempt it.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Christee
Instructor

Originally Posted by QCVette
I know you want different wheels, but yours are not really too bad.

I will probably get flamed for this since it is cheap and crude, but...

Yours are only curbed in the outer lip, so if you want a really cheap alternative, you can simply take a file to the rash area to smooth out most of it and touch up paint them. It won't be as good as professional refinish, but it will make them look a lot better for almost no cost and just a little time.

I did that on a set of polished thinspokes that were pretty bad (a lot worse than yours), and the result is that unless you are looking for it, you can't tell it was ever a problem. Mine did not have tires at the time, so it was easier to work them with the file, but if you take care you should be able to get good results.

Even if you get new wheels, they can make a nice set of spares/winter set/etc.
It's not just curb rash. This is happening to all 4 wheels.

It may be as simple as painting the wheel which is easy for most but I am somewhat challenged when it comes to painting. I will definitely pay for an experienced person to do it instead of taking it on myself.
I accepted this when trying to paint calipers on my Trans Am many years ago.

If I get a new pair I will keep these as extras.

Last edited by Christee; 07-10-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheels On a budget