Sponsored by:

Picking up wheels, need help asap on size

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up wheels, need help asap on size

Ran across a set of zo6 chrome wheels with Perreli tires and spacers real cheap in excellent condition looking at the pics and what he said. He said they came off a 01. Asked him the width and he said they were 9" all four. 17's front and18's rear original GM wheels.
I think he said the rear tires where 285's but not positive. my question is what are the width of factory z06 wheels? I thought the rears where 10.5 or 11. He thought all four wheels were 9" wide because they looked the same and he didn't know how to measure them or was not interested in doing it. Would 285's even fit a 9 " wheel or is he just mistaking the width? Thanks.

sked him the width and he said 9"
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

They will be fine
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Z06's didn't come with chrome wheels (nor did any C5 stock wheel) , so either they are not factory, or have been chromed. The front should be 9.5 wide and the rear 10.5 wide for a Z06.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Z06's didn't come with chrome wheels, so either they are not factory, or have been chromed. The front should be 9.5 wide and the rear 10.5 wide.
I was not aware of that? I have a set of the chrome on mine with what I assume look like the z06 wheels but chrome is peeling around the spokes. Did they make these wheels for other Corvettes or are they aftermarket? I checked on rechroming mine and no way for me. I would by some CCW's or something before going to that expense. I can pick these up with tires and spacers and they look real good in the pic for $500. Sound good to you? I have seen these wheels in good condition on Craigslist for 8 to $1,200 just for the wheels. What ya think?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't waste your money unless you feel the tires are worth close to the asking price.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

C5's did come with polished aluminum wheels with a clear coat, and some people mistake them for chrome. None were originally chrome. If yours are chrome, they are either aftermarket or have been chromed after.

Edit, corrected statement.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-07-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ronnie wilkins
I was not aware of that? I have a set of the chrome on mine with what I assume look like the z06 wheels but chrome is peeling around the spokes. Did they make these wheels for other Corvettes or are they aftermarket? I checked on rechroming mine and no way for me. I would by some CCW's or something before going to that expense. I can pick these up with tires and spacers and they look real good in the pic for $500. Sound good to you? I have seen these wheels in good condition on Craigslist for 8 to $1,200 just for the wheels. What ya think?
If you decide to proceed, double check for yourself the size and width of the wheels, AND CHECK the dates on the tires. If they are old tires, you'll be replacing them anyway. Additionally, if they are stock, why do you need spacers?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

C5's and Z06's did come with polished aluminum wheels with a clear coat, and some people mistake them for chrome. None were originally chrome. If yours are chrome, they are either aftermarket or have been chromed after.
Perhaps these are polished then and I mistaked them for chrome in the pics. The ones I have are chrome so they are aftermarket then or have been plated. I like these wheels on my vert so it sounds like a good deal with the spacers and tires to me. These are not the 5 spoke, they look like the z06, I think they call them spider wheels or something like that. I have always had the C3's, 5 or 6 of those on and off,so I am still in the learning stage with these cars. Thanks so much for the info.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

If you decide to proceed, double check for yourself the size and width of the wheels, AND CHECK the dates on the tires. If they are old tires, you'll be replacing them anyway. Additionally, if they are stock, why do you need spacers?
I hope to get him to check the width on them before I make the 2hr. trip to get them or I may pass. When I called this morning I think he was in bed and not up to speed yet. I have good Michelin tires now so I would most likely sell the tires anyway. I thought the spacers would look good setting the tires out some on the rear. I noticed the yellow vert "old clunker" on here this morning had the rears out some and I liked that look but wonder how safe spacers are. I have never used them. I going to call him after lunch and get some info if he's willing this time or might forget it.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Bent98c5
Racer

If they are real z06 wheels they will sit out further than you stock ones without spacers.

Also some dealers sent out corvette wheels to get chromed right when they came off the truck. So they could be chromed oem wheels
Old 07-07-2013, 05:02 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

C5's and Z06's did come with polished aluminum wheels with a clear coat, and some people mistake them for chrome. None were originally chrome. If yours are chrome, they are either aftermarket or have been chromed after

My mistake, I just reread my post. Z06's did not come with polished aluminum wheels, they were painted gray. What I should have said is C5 (2000 and up coupes and convertibles) came with polished aluminum and Z06's came with gray wheels. Either way, if they're chrome it has been done after manufacture. Sorry about that.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-07-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Stock C5z wheels are:
Front:

Wheel size: 17 x 9.5
Offset: +54mm
Tire Size: 265/40/17
Back Spacing: 7.38” (187.35mm)

Rear:

Wheel size: 18 x 10.5
Offset: +58mm
Tire Size: 295/35/18
Back Spacing: 8.03” (204.05mm)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

I am posting a picture of the wheels I have now and the ones I am thinking about getting look the same. By the pics they are either polished or chrome. Need to find out. The man said they came off an 01 however that does not mean they are a GM wheel like he said they are. He had them mounted on something other than a Corvette. Here are my wheels.

[IMG][/IMG]

Maybe these are not Z06 replicas at all like I am assuming. These are chrome and some of the chrome is peeling around the spokes, that's why I am looking for better ones. The rear wheels measure 10.5. I guess I will just have to make the 2 hr. trip and see what he has because from talking to him he has no clue other than they came off a corvette. Mine are not that bad and I may just pass but they sure look good in the pics.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

C5's and Z06's did come with polished aluminum wheels with a clear coat, and some people mistake them for chrome. None were originally chrome. If yours are chrome, they are either aftermarket or have been chromed after

My mistake, I just reread my post. Z06's did not come with polished aluminum wheels, they were painted gray. What I should have said is C5 (2000 and up coupes and convertibles) came with polished aluminum and Z06's came with gray wheels. Either way, if they're chrome it has been done after manufacture. Sorry about that.
The 04 Commemorative edition Z06 DID come with polished aluminum wheels.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I am posting a picture of the wheels I have now and the ones I am thinking about getting look the same. By the pics they are either polished or chrome. Need to find out. The man said they came off an 01 however that does not mean they are a GM wheel like he said they are. He had them mounted on something other than a Corvette. Here are my wheels.

[IMG][/IMG]

Maybe these are not Z06 replicas at all like I am assuming. These are chrome and some of the chrome is peeling around the spokes, that's why I am looking for better ones. The rear wheels measure 10.5. I guess I will just have to make the 2 hr. trip and see what he has because from talking to him he has no clue other than they came off a corvette. Mine are not that bad and I may just pass but they sure look good in the pics.
There are reproduction C5 Z06 wheels available from a number of companies and a chrome finish is one of the choices. Some companies will take OEM Z06 wheels and have them chrome plated. Real GM Corvette wheels will have a GM logo on them and also a GM part number. For real Z06 wheels, they will have the manufacturer's name on them. Look for "Speedline"; they are one of the companies that made Z06 wheels for GM brands.

There is no need for spacers for mounting GM Z06 wheels to a C5. The differences in offset as shown by 8VETTE7 isn't enough to require spacers. I have Z06 Speedlines on my '02 coupe and I have no fitment issues and I'm even using 275/40-17's up front.

As mentioned, trying to mount standard C5 tires on Z06 wheels can be a problem. The reason some tire shops won't mount other than stock sizes is because of liability concerns. The tires will fit but it takes a really good tire guy to get smaller tires to mount and hold air. Then there is the issue with the smaller tire's sidewalls not being at the proper angle.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Like others have said, the chromed Z06 wheels are not stock, but the '04 commemorative edition had polished. Also the Z06 wheels do not need a spacer for the coupe/vert cars. It may be that you have aftermarket wheels with the wrong offset.

I agree with the others that the stock size coupe/vert tires are too narrow for the Z06 wheels.

However, the OP stated he had 285 rear tires. If you look at the specs for a 285/40/18 tire, the 10.5" (Z06 rear wheel size) is within the recommended wheel widths.

I have 285/40/18 rear and 255/45/17 front tires mounted on Z06 rims for my non Z06 car. Those tire sizes are closer to the stock diameters than the Z06 size tires. (so your speedometer will be closer.) These sizes are an upsize from the std sizes, but most Z06 owners don't want to downsize. These tire sizes fit either the std or Z06 wheels.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

[IMG][/IMG]

If I read correctly and your current rear wheels are 10.5", then you already have the Z06 width wheels. Those wheels are available aftermarket in both widths for the standard and Z06 sizes. They could be chromed GM Z06 wheels, look for the GM marks described in an earlier post to be sure. Either way if both yours and the prospective wheels are 10.5 you have a match. Again, I'd check the date code on the tires before I used them.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

I am sure mine are after market because of the peeling chrome unless they were chromed but that is awfully expensive. I would buy some different wheels for that price. Thanks for the heads up on the date codes on the tires. Some of these cars with low milage could have the oe tires on them. I need to check my tires for age. They show no signs of dry rot but what is considered to old?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

My current rear size is 285 and they set in maybe about a half inch.

Get notified of new replies

To Picking up wheels, need help asap on size

Quick Reply: Picking up wheels, need help asap on size