The Non Wave

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by gtbbaby
Point taken, but 'special' community - we just happened to make the same consumer purchase - does that make us special? a community? Funny I don't feel shameful, nor should I.

So your implying that a Volkswagen is beneath a corvette - they're just a different class of car - with that line of thinking, what about Ferrari owners ? Their cars are technically better than the vette - so should they have some complicated hand signal as they pass each other? Where does it end? I've been driving for 45 yrs. with many of my cars being performance cars and the only time we waved at another car is when we knew the person driving it. I guess we agree to disagree.
I just pointed out that no one says those thing about a Volkswagen.. ( or enter any other car )no one claims to have dreamt of owning a Volkswagen since they were a little boy.. that was my point. A corvette is just a car, but it does have some intangible attraction to a certain group of consumers. Like I said you don't not have to feel ashamed if you don't wave, but don't put down people who feel a wave is an important part of their choice to buy a Corvette. Or those who want to buy into the heritage. BTW if you think that a simple wave is something complicated, then again I feel sorry for you. I'm not trying to sway your feelings on the wave.. IM just trying to show you that other, mature men and women do feel its part of the corvette culture to wave, and that they are not in someway being silly or childish or a pathetic follower of some complicated and silly behavior.
BTW IM 68 years old, I've been driving Corvettes for 50 years. I also remember the first person I waved too 50 years ago after buying my first Corvette, with the help of my parents who I told that the car was a small Chevrolet. He was a few years older than me, and the first person I actually knew who owned a Corvette. Lenny Mecheusic, where are you?

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You know I never could understand this fascination with "THE WAVE"
Does a VW owner wave at every other VW driver? I mean come on - how do you know who's behind the wheel ? Anyone can buy a vette, it could be a child molester driving it ......... you just don't know. I think deep down it's an EGO thing, " Hey look at me!" The Corvette is a nice car, that's why I own one .............. but I'm not in some secret exlcusive club - it's a car, a nice car mind you , but all in all it's just a car - we're not THE CHOSEN FEW. Just my 2 cents. By the way I'd say about 25% of the owners up here wave at me.
It's not at all about ego or hey, I'm better than other car owners. It's simply a friendly way to say hello to other Corvette enthusiasts. If you choose not to wave, that is certainly your perogative. Bikers wave and I certainly don't think they are on an ego trip - they feel a bond with other bikers. Same with Vette owners. Sadly, way too many current Corvette owners feel the way you do and simply refuse to wave to other owners. A 60 year tradition is slowly dying off because of the apathy.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
gtbbaby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I just pointed out that no one says those thing about a Volkswagen.. ( or enter any other car )no one claims to have dreamt of owning a Volkswagen since they were a little boy.. that was my point. A corvette is just a car, but it does have some intangible attraction to a certain group of consumers. Like I said you don't not have to feel ashamed if you don't wave, but don't put down people who feel a wave is an important part of their choice to buy a Corvette. Or those who want to buy into the heritage. BTW if you think that a simple wave is something complicated, then again I feel sorry for you. I'm not trying to sway your feelings on the wave.. IM just trying to show you that other, mature men and women do feel its part of the corvette culture to wave, and that they are not in someway being silly or childish or a pathetic follower of some complicated and silly behavior.
BTW IM 68 years old, I've been driving Corvettes for 50 years. I also remember the first person I waved too 50 years ago after buying my first Corvette, with the help of my parents who I told that the car was a small Chevrolet. He was a few years older than me, and the first person I actually knew who owned a Corvette. Lenny Mecheusic, where are you?

Bill aka ET
How do you know no one has ever said that about a Volkswagen or any other car? Certainly you can't read minds, or can you? I'm sure there are people who dream to one day own all different types of autos. Where in any of my posts did I "put down anyone", just making a few observations, you must learn to read and comprehend what's in front of you. I also did not say the wave is complicated, don't put words in my mouth - we can go back and forth and share opinions, but stick with the facts. Your the one who used the words silly/childish/pathetic not I.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't y'all just wave "bye" to each other and let it go. Wave or don't wave; it's a "Vette" thing.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

How do you know no one has ever said that about a Volkswagen or any other car?
IN my 68 years of life, I've never heard one person refer to a Volkswagen or any other car as I've heard about the dream of owning a Corvette..
You seem to be very argumentative comparing the possibility of one person on the planet aspiring to own a Volkswagen. So with that line of retort on your part, Ill drop out of this conversation.

Certainly you can't read minds, or can you? I'm sure there are people who dream to one day own all different types of autos. Where in any of my posts did I "put down anyone", just making a few observations, you must learn to read and comprehend what's in front of you.

I must learn to read an comprehend???? You sir have selective memory ! Your whole post was about the reasons you don't wave, using very thin veiled arguments. I think you should read over and try to comprehend just exactly what you did say!

I also did not say the wave is complicated, don't put words in my mouth -

Put words in your mouth? Here is a quote from you... here is some proof of your selective memory.

so should they have some complicated hand signal as they pass each other? Where does it end?

we can go back and forth and share opinions, but stick with the facts. Your the one who used the words silly/childish/pathetic not I.[/QUOTE]

No but you seemed to elude to those reasons as why you do not wave, again I point out that "You" said the wave was complicated. See your quote, the one that you said you never made.

With all my love
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
PeterB
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO some people are friendly and some are not. Some are interested others could care less. Its just an opinion and a mind set. I've only owned the Vett a few months.. Gotten a few here and there, blew by a few others never saw them. On the HOG everyone always sticks their hands out and often times the women on the back of the bikes do it as well. Not sure why, its just a courtesy saying, I dig your style and mentality in having your vehicle and guess what I have one too. We both have good taste wink. Nothing more nothing less

Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Where I grew up in Tennessee, we wave at people who don't even drive Corvettes sometimes. If they wave first, it's mandatory. I'll certainly wave at any Corvette I see, whether I'm driving one of mine or not. It's an acknowledgement that I like their car, and it's a simple gesture and doesn't cost or harm anything.
I passed a kid walking down the sidewalk today and he gave me a thumbs up. I waved to him, too. Wasn't complicated, no words spoken, none needed.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 07-04-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wave, but rarely notice, or even care if I get one back. I also ride a Harley, and we wave as well. I am sure I have missed returning a wave along the way in the Vette. Less likely on the bike.

Vettes owners, like Harley owners, often times strike up conversations with complete strangers. This simply does not happen with most other cars, and I have owned a lot of them. My 67 Camaro gets reactions similar to my Vette. My Ford Escape does not, nor does my F250.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does a VW owner wave at every other VW driver? I mean come on - how do you know who's behind the wheel ? Anyone can buy a vette, it could be a child molester driving it ......... you just don't know. I think deep down it's an EGO thing, " Hey look at me!" The Corvette is a nice car, that's why I own one .............. but I'm not in some secret exlcusive club - it's a car, a nice car mind you , but all in all it's just a car - we're not THE CHOSEN FEW. Just my 2 cents. By the way I'd say about 25% of the owners up here wave at me.
When I was a teenager with my Triumph TR3, all English sports car drivers waved to each other, heck I even waved to MGAs and Sunbeam Alpines. I think the wave pre-dates the Corvette by many years; when there were fewer sports cars it was one car enthusiast recognizing a brother car enthusiast.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Vetteriffic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wave...if they don't wave back...well I don't give a sh_t frankly ....too bad for them that they don't get it.....I am always having a great day when I'm in my vette and would hope they are also!

One day they will be at the side of the road and everyone is zooming by and low and behold a vette guy will stop to help the brother out...and WHAM they will get it!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
With all my love
Bill aka ET

always causing a ruckus, eh ET?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM
JetMechZ16
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 30 Posts

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 12, started with dirt bikes. When I was old enough to buy my 1st street bike I noticed almost every other motorcycle would wave at me, maybe just 1 or 2 fingers, but always an acknowledgement. At least from the non Harley owners, Harleys wouldn't wave unless you were also on a Harley. That has changed over the years. I now see Harley owners wave at any motorcycle they pass. I drive a Harley and a vette now, and I wave while driving either. But sometimes I forget which I'm driving at the time and I'll wave at motorcycles while driving the vette, or vice versa. If you don't like waving fine don't. It's just a friendly gesture, no reason to get upset. It does seem today though we have a class of people that I call " The Professionally Offended ". They will get upset and cry about anything, no matter the intent of the other person.
When I 1st got my Z06 I knew nothing about the wave in vettes, but regardless I waved at the 1st vette I saw on the road. Just as an acknowledgement to someone that, in at least one way, had a like mindset as myself. If people don't feel the need to wave or be friendly fine so be it, but it sure wouldn't hurt our world for people to be friendlier.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if we could just merge all of these wave threads, then edit out all the similar responses? It would be condensed to less than one page.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 246 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

A wave is a simple gesture which acknowledges others of the same mindset, opinion, lifestyle, whatever.

Most people find it an enjoyable part of owning a fine American tradition. There is a certain "code" of Corvette owners, similar to Harley Davidson riders.

If people choose to not participate in tradition that's been established sense the first two Corvettes passed each other on the highway, then possibly you should sell your Corvette and and buy a Beemer. Owning one of those seems has a pre-requisite/stigma of being stuckup so everyone expects it from them. (Apologies to any "normal" Beemer owners, there just aren't any of those around here, they all think their chit doesn't stink)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

You need to sell your Corvette to someone who will properly appreciate the car and its history, then go and buy yourself a Volkswagen. GTI's are nice.

If I had to guess I'd say you must be French Canadian.....
Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 AM
_Will_
Team Owner

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

1. Some people don't know. If you're new to Corvettes and buy one at the dealer, they don't include a brochure with your purchase explaining "the wave"

2. Yes, a few non-wavers are dicks. Part of life.

3. Sometimes people are in la-la land and it really doesn't compute until too late. Sometimes when I'm driving, I get in a zone where I am focusing completely on what I'm doing.

4. Sometimes people have social anxiety and will not wave until waved to first, which sometimes leads to not enough time to wave back.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Suncityan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JetMechZ16
" The Professionally Offended "
Now that's an UNDERSTATEMENT!

Get notified of new replies

To The Non Wave

Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 246 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by rocknroller
I wonder if we could just merge all of these wave threads, then edit out all the similar responses? It would be condensed to less than one page.
NAH? Friendly advice: Get used to repetitiveness.... goes with the territory. Don't care for it? Learn to ignore it or you're going to spend a LOT of time

There's been a lot of time and effort by a lot of people putting the sticky posts together in both the C5 General and C5 Tech areas that would answer most questions of folks just payed attention and read them. That'd be too easy though...

Last edited by calvins; 07-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:37 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I learned about the wave from my Uncle, a hell-for-leather Marine. He had an MG-A at the time, and whenever we saw another, both waved. I asked him and he said its a thing people do who have similar, non run of the mill cars.
In my 50 years of driving, I rarely got a wave in my '59 Fiat(not many around), or my Ford Anglia. Never got any until my 71 VW Bus and then my Scout 2 which replaced it. Fast forward 20 years to my '85 Land Cruiser and the wave returned. It's fun. We wave because we have a noticeable car. I sometimes forget myself and wave when I'm driving our SUV.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM
vetintheblood
Burning Brakes

Location: Beavercreek Ohio Currently own: 1958 Silver Blue Corvette
Received 751 Likes on 252 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vetteriffic
I always wave...if they don't wave back...well I don't give a sh_t frankly ....too bad for them that they don't get it.....I am always having a great day when I'm in my vette and would hope they are also!

One day they will be at the side of the road and everyone is zooming by and low and behold a vette guy will stop to help the brother out...and WHAM they will get it!

Quick Reply: The Non Wave