Sponsored by:

Halo Projector/HID install....pic's

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Halo Projector/HID install....pic's

Well because of safety concerns I decided to purchase a set of Halo Projector/HID's from Corvette Creationz/Quik Z06 a forum vendor on here, I am sure most of you will agree that the headlight output on C5's is just terrible!

The kit comes with what looks to be a whole lot of unnecessary wires, I automatically thought (what the ****) so I dove into the project and it was actually easy.

Here are some pic's of the wiring that came with the

Nice compact slim ballast

Okay so the pic's above show the wiring that is supplied with the kit...you basically have one long harness wire that has all the plugs, a relay and two fuses tied together, you also have one smaller plug that goes to your ballast and headlight plugs

Okay guys here we go

1. Find a nice clean place to mount your ballast

2.plug up the two small plugs on the ballast to the two headlight plugs coming from the headlight bulb (can only plug in one way)

3.small plug that has a green wire in picture 2 above plugs into the red plug on the ballast

4. Next plug in line will be for your headlights ^^^^

5.the next plug goes to the main harness...it's really simple it just looks like a PITA!!!

NOTE

Some cars may not need the harness my car didn't but I installed it anyway just to prevent any problems that might pop up later!

also all the plugs are different so you really can't hook this system up wrong.

After you get everything plugged up test to make sure lights are working, if working then continue on.

6. One last step find a power source for the headlight harness...now you know why the harness is so long, in case you want to use the battery as your power source

I ran the wires across the front of the car tucked under the air cleaner and around to the passenger side of car and to the battery, but I chose not to use the battery and opted for the aux terminal near the battery and a ground on the firewall.

Not the best right up but I tried...if any of you purchase this kit and have any questions hit me up and I will try my best to help you out.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
Well because of safety concerns I decided to purchase a set of Halo Projector/HID's from Corvette Creationz/Quik Z06 a forum vendor on here, I am sure most of you will agree that the headlight output on C5's is just terrible!

The kit comes with what looks to be a whole lot of unnecessary wires, I automatically thought (what the ****) so I dove into the project and it was actually easy.

Here are some pic's of the wiring that came with the

Nice compact slim ballast

Okay so the pic's above show the wiring that is supplied with the kit...you basically have one long harness wire that has all the plugs, a relay and two fuses tied together, you also have one smaller plug that goes to your ballast and headlight plugs

Okay guys here we go

1. Find a nice clean place to mount your ballast

2.plug up the two small plugs on the ballast to the two headlight plugs coming from the headlight bulb (can only plug in one way)

3.small plug that has a green wire in picture 2 above plugs into the red plug on the ballast

4. Next plug in line will be for your headlights ^^^^

5.the next plug goes to the main harness...it's really simple it just looks like a PITA!!!

NOTE

Some cars may not need the harness my car didn't but I installed it anyway just to prevent any problems that might pop up later!

also all the plugs are different so you really can't hook this system up wrong.

After you get everything plugged up test to make sure lights are working, if working then continue on.

6. One last step find a power source for the headlight harness...now you know why the harness is so long, in case you want to use the battery as your power source

I ran the wires across the front of the car tucked under the air cleaner and around to the passenger side of car and to the battery, but I chose not to use the battery and opted for the aux terminal near the battery and a ground on the firewall.

Not the best right up but I tried...if any of you purchase this kit and have any questions hit me up and I will try my best to help you out.
Nice job. Great write up and pics!

Regarding the driver's side harness, I routed mine through the aluminum front fascia nose cone so you can't see it in the engine bay.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Thanks MSG C5... thanks for the input also.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Thanks Anthony!! I appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the write-up and the pics. The new lights look very good.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

My new halo/projector HID headlights from Quik Z06/Corvette Creationz are just plain kick *** awesome, (I CAN NOW ACTUALLY REALLY SEE AT NIGHT) you guys can purchase them from wherever you like but all I'm saying is they really are worth the money...and the wife was amazed at the amount of light they put out compared to the stock units! I can almost guaranty that after you see how we'll they work in person you will be ready to swipe that credit card.

Have a great day
Old 07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I did mine a few weeks ago. I did not use the harness that was supplied with the kit as I thought the 55w ballast would remedy the issue of the lights not going down, but it didn't work. From the research I did it will depend on the quality of the HID kit for the lights to go down. I believe there is now a 70w kit that avoids the issue of having to use a relay for the lights to go down or the additional harness...food for thought for others.

209time setup looks good! Welcome to the ACA club
Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Thanks Stalion...��

Please chime in if anyone has some useful info regarding these projector HID kits.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I bought my HID projector kit from JW with 5000K bulbs, 55 watt ballasts and the HI 4 harness that lets the HID low beams stay on when the halogen high beams come on. They were easy to install and work perfectly. I have no problem with the lights going up or down. This was the best $ 350 I have spent on the car.

Low beams.

High beams.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Martinh5621
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for putting up pics with your install I've been tryin to do this all weekend and it was a pita!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Hey guys,
I had heard that some have used the stock harness. I was hoping to use the stock harness on my '02, but am having problems. I removed hooked the stock low beam bulb and hooked that socket to the HID Ballast, and then the ballast connectors to the HIDs for the lows. I kept the stock high beams in the stock harness sockets and then installed those into the Hi beam of the Projector enclosures.

Now...the light cans won't go down and the lights don't come on.

Anybody got any ideas?? Do I need to scrap the stock harness, or did I miss something in using the stock harness? I also have been working on this all weekend...whew!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by FrankLP
Hey guys,
I had heard that some have used the stock harness. I was hoping to use the stock harness on my '02, but am having problems. I removed hooked the stock low beam bulb and hooked that socket to the HID Ballast, and then the ballast connectors to the HIDs for the lows. I kept the stock high beams in the stock harness sockets and then installed those into the Hi beam of the Projector enclosures.

Anybody got any ideas?? Do I need to scrap the stock harness, or did I miss something in using the stock harness? I also have been working on this all weekend...whew!
Hi,

To get the buckets to go down put your high beams on and they will go down. The reason this is happening is that the HID's do not draw enough power and the car thinks you have a burnt out headlight. To cure this you have a couple of options. You can buy a harness off ebay for about $10, or you can buy a resistor and wire it in to wiring on the harness on the ballast side before it connects to the stock low beam harness. This is what I did and used a 20w resistor rated at 5ohms. From the research I did you don't need to run a 55 watt harness as it gets really hot.

BTW, in the meantime just flash your high beams to get your lights to go down until you decide your fix.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys,

In regards to the lights not operating, check your polarity, mine did the same thing and that cured the problem.
It's odd that some buckets on some Z's operate properly without the use of resistors or after market harnesses and others don't, my '02Z & my son's '02Z buckets worked fine without it.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tak06
In regards to the lights not operating, check your polarity, mine did the same thing and that cured the problem.
It's odd that some buckets on some Z's operate properly without the use of resistors or after market harnesses and others don't, my '02Z & my son's '02Z buckets worked fine without it.
This may be due to the quality of the HID kit and the wattage being used, IE 35w, 55W, or 70W
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM
tak06
Pro

That's probably it, we both used 35w bulbs & $209.00 Matsushita ballasts, OEM on many hi end vehicles.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by STALION
Hi,

To get the buckets to go down put your high beams on and they will go down. The reason this is happening is that the HID's do not draw enough power and the car thinks you have a burnt out headlight. To cure this you have a couple of options. You can buy a harness off ebay for about $10, or you can buy a resistor and wire it in to wiring on the harness on the ballast side before it connects to the stock low beam harness. This is what I did and used a 20w resistor rated at 5ohms. From the research I did you don't need to run a 55 watt harness as it gets really hot.

BTW, in the meantime just flash your high beams to get your lights to go down until you decide your fix.
Thanks I tried that but it didn't work. Maybe I blew a fuse. I'll be checking that out next.

Not sure how to switch polarity....all the sockets/connectors only fit one way. Are you suggesting re-wiring these sockets/connectors?

Last edited by FrankLP; 08-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM
tak06
Pro

Thanks I tried that but it didn't work. Maybe I blew a fuse. I'll be checking that out next.

Not sure how to switch polarity....all the sockets/connectors only fit one way. Are you suggesting re-wiring these sockets/connectors?
Just roll the connector, the stock feed for your headlamps which plugs into the ballast. I know that it appears to go in only 1 way but it will fit with a little effort. In my case both lights initially did not operate, I rolled the stock feed and it worked like a charm.

Get notified of new replies

To Halo Projector/HID install....pic's

Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Just roll the connector, the stock feed for your headlamps which plugs into the ballast. I know that it appears to go in only 1 way but it will fit with a little effort. In my case both lights initially did not operate, I rolled the stock feed and it worked like a charm.
Ok...I'll give that a shot...will have time to work on it Friday. I'll let ya know. Thanks.

Also...Pete (Corvette Creationz/Quik Z06) emailed me suggesting to do the same thing after seeing this thread, I appreciate Pete following up...nice to see service after the sale.

Last edited by FrankLP; 08-27-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Reversing polarity did the trick...thanks guys!

I snapped a couple pics with my iPhone...I'll likely need to aim them better...will do that later when it's a bit darker out; and then I'll get better pics too...when the car's a bit cleaner!

I like 'em!!

Halos:

Lo Beams:
Old 08-30-2013, 04:57 PM
tak06
Pro

Very Nice!

Quick Reply: Halo Projector/HID install....pic's