Sponsored by:

C5 Brake Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
David Soothaa Malson
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Brake Lights Not Working

I have read through many threads here about this problem yet none seem to fit my problem.

When I push the brake, the lights do not illuminate
Turn signals work fine
Hazards work fine
Service active control/handling errors on dash
Error code C1295
Cruise control works intermittently (possible bad multi function?)
When cruise control works, pressing the brake DOES exit cruise control (brake switch is good?)

All my lights work in the back, I do have one running light in the front out that I have not yet replaced, but I doubt that would take out the back, right? I checked the fuses that others mentioned and they all seem good.

At this point I think my only options are to replace the multi and/or hazard switch. Any points guys? Thank you!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your third brake light work? If so, I would suspect the MF switch.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM
David Soothaa Malson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by maxx2200
Does your third brake light work? If so, I would suspect the MF switch.
It does illuminate when I switch the headlights on, yes, but it does not illuminate if the headlights are off and I press the brake.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Not home, do not have the wiring diagrams with me. You say the turn signals and hazard lights work. I will look but you should have a brake light switch on the brake petal assembly. That would be my first guess without the wiring info. It could be bad or needs to readjusted.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Do you happen to have LED taillights? If not, my guess is the hazzard switch
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Soothaa Malson
It does illuminate when I switch the headlights on, yes, but it does not illuminate if the headlights are off and I press the brake.
Your third brake light should not illumintae with the headlights turned on.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM
David Soothaa Malson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by maxx2200
Your third brake light should not illumintae with the headlights turned on.
Interesting, my dad said it did illuminate when I turned the lights on. I will have to recheck this.

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Do you happen to have LED taillights? If not, my guess is the hazzard switch
Not done by me, maybe one of the previous 4 owners.. it doesn't look non-stock to me though.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM
azer666
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar problem without warning on dash though. Tried switching hazard switch. Didn't work. Turned out to be some of the cables to the brake lights that had turned bad over the years. Could recommend you check that if nothing else works.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Do you or have you ever had Euro tail lights? If so, there is a harness used that required the original white brake light wire to be cut.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:17 PM
David Soothaa Malson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Do you or have you ever had Euro tail lights? If so, there is a harness used that required the original white brake light wire to be cut.
No I do not have that, but I don't know if any of the previous owners ever did.

Since my cruise button does not seem to work, I am suspecting the MF switch and plan on replacing that first, then the hazards if that does not work. Does anyone have a link to them?

I am unsure as to where I'll find any of the brake switches/wiring, any pointers?

Thanks for the info so far guys.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

You need to understand the brake light switch is also in the cruise control circuit. I think it may be bad or is out of adjustment. It is attached to the brake petal support under the dash. "Easy" to get to once the knee bolster is removed. If you want to pursue I can give you more info on how to test (if you know how to use a volt/ohm meter) and adjust. I would check it first instead of throwing money at the other parts you are considering.

PS: Your Code 1295 is related to a bad brake light switch or circuit problem. The code is being thrown from the EBCM which sends a signal thru it. The FSM directs you to look at the switch first then maybe a circuit issue upstream of downstream.

Mr. Sam

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-28-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM
David Soothaa Malson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo
You need to understand the brake light switch is also in the cruise control circuit. I think it may be bad or is out of adjustment. It is attached to the brake petal support under the dash. "Easy" to get to once the knee bolster is removed. If you want to pursue I can give you more info on how to test (if you know how to use a volt/ohm meter) and adjust. I would check it first instead of throwing money at the other parts you are considering.

PS: Your Code 1295 is related to a bad brake light switch or circuit problem. The code is being thrown from the EBCM which sends a signal thru it. The FSM directs you to look at the switch first then maybe a circuit issue upstream of downstream.

Mr. Sam
Thanks, that's very helpful! Can you point me in the right direction for checking that switch? Yes I have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I am attaching the instructions for the brake switch replacement and adjustment. Let me know if you have any questions. Personally I am confused with regard as to why there are 2 or 3 connectors on the switch. These instructions appear to show 3, but another place in the manual shows 2. The wiring schematics do not show any connector(s) specifics for this switch. However, from the overall wiring schematic the power into the switch is an ORANGE wire and the exiting wire to the brake lights is LIGHT BLUE. First make sure you check the upstream fuse #8 in the passenger side fuse box and make sure it is ok, it provides power to the ORANGE wire. Let me know if I can be of any more help. I am going to go over to my warehouse where I keep my car and look under the dash since I have my knee bolster off. If you need help in removing it let me know. I can send pictures of what the backside looks like so you don't break anything in removing it.

Hey, just found the info on the 3 connectors. Will scan and post in a few minutes. They help explain what is going on.

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-29-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here is info on what the 3 connectors do. C2 is the one that is just for all the brake lights (on the second page below). I would remove it and see if you have power coming in on the ORANGE wire. With the connector removed you "should" be able to use the ohmmeter to see if the switch contacts close and open with actuation of the switch. You may have to get someone to help you actuate the petal while you try to make the pin connections. Maybe some paperclips and alligator clip jumpers would make it a one man operation. If you have power in and the switch works, we need to look downstream at maybe a grounding issue. Just let me know, will be glad to help. Mr. Sam

PS: The WHITE wire coming out of C2 with the LIGHT BLUE wire goes to the hazard switch (not positive why yet but I think I know why). At this point we just need to verify if the switch is getting power and if so, do the contacts work. Also, just so you know, the LIGHT BLUE wire also feeds the high mounted third brake light.

Last edited by dadaroo; 06-29-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I had the time to do some more review of the brake light circuits, here is some info for Domestics, not Exports:

The center 3rd brake light power wire is direct from the brake petal switch. However, for the left and right brake lights, the power from the brake petal switch first goes thru the hazard switch and then thru the multifunction switch. The hazard has a single input and output for the brake lights, but the multifunction switch has a left and right side feed for the brake lights.

With that said:
If your 3rd brake light works then the brake petal switch is good. If not then it is most likely the problem.

If the 3rd light works and both left and right rear brake lights do not, it is most likely the hazard switch.

If the 3rd brake light works but only the left or right brake lights work it is most likely the multifunction switch.

Mr. Sam
Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

While you have the knee bolster off look for a connector near the console. The reason I asked about having LED taillights is that connector is where they plug in the bypass harness. I had many issues with the connector and the bypass harness. If you need help locating the connector I think vette essentials has instructions for installing the hyper flash bypass relay, it will show you where it is.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Brake Lights Not Working

Quick Reply: C5 Brake Lights Not Working