Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)

I recently asked about the reliability of a C6Z and most members told me not to buy one due to valve issues ect. So I wanted to know from other Vette owners which one of these two beauties should I get. I really like the looks of the C6 Vettes, but I don't like the base model C6's. I currently have 19K and I'm 20 Y/O. I got quoted at around $220 for insurance on a C6Z, but I'm not really worried about insurance costs ect. I bring in around 1K a month and all I have to pay for is insurance and gas + a possible car payment for my Vette! I'm not really asking for financial advice or anything, but what would you recommend I get? I know if I get the C5Z down the road i'll probably want a C6 of some sort. I was thinking maybe save up a few more thousand and take out a 20K loan for a C6 Grand Sport. I'm not really to sure tho. I've never driven either one and there's a 15K price difference, so I'm tempted to buy the C5Z, but then I like the styling of the C6 Grand Sport! I can find a GS in virtually mint condition for around 45K VS 30K for a C5Z. I'll probably wait a year too I'm extremely sick at the moment and according to the DR.s it could take months before I get back to work. I never considered a C5Z until recently, so if anyone knows the HP and specs I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I wouldn't recommend taking on a car payment at all in your situation. Go with the C5Z. You should be able to buy a nice one for the $19k you have saved up now. Even then, spending all your cash might not be the wisest decision.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Black 02
I wouldn't recommend taking on a car payment at all in your situation. Go with the C5Z. You should be able to buy a nice one for the $19k you have saved up now. Even then, spending all your cash might not be the wisest decision.
Thanks, but I figure I would be able to maintain a loan as long as I was working 30+ hrs a week. I really don't spend my money on anything lol, so that's the one good thing about being 20 Y/O. It sucks that minimum wage is so low tho. You can't even make 20K a year working full time and no place is going to hire me for any complex task even tho I would consider myself qualified.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

It's your decision, but starting life off in debt isn't something I'd recommend
Old 06-22-2013, 08:36 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's your decision, but starting life off in debt isn't something I'd recommend
Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Instigator99
Instructor

To be completely honest I'd suggest not getting either. I'm assuming you live at home, which is all fine, but you have to consider the scenario that you have to find your own place to live. And remember life happens, say you meet someone and knock her up, that is very taxing on the ol' checking account. If you absolutely must buy a vette, I'd suggest going with an FRC. They can be had for a lot less than a c5z, and with the money saved you can make it outperform one as well.

-Eric
Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

this

too many things can change at age 20.

and, if you can afford a payment that means you can afford to do better things with your money. keep saving, develop a trade, before you know it you'll be making 5k a month working if you can apply yourself

other angle is the c6 gs will drop a lot more value wise over the next 5 years. c5z, all else equal might drop 1-2k

you remember how your world changed age 15 to 20? get ready for that to happen again by age 25

Last edited by racebum; 06-22-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Shlongor
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Legitimate
I recently asked about the reliability of a C6Z and most members told me not to buy one due to valve issues ect. So I wanted to know from other Vette owners which one of these two beauties should I get. I really like the looks of the C6 Vettes, but I don't like the base model C6's. I currently have 19K and I'm 20 Y/O. I got quoted at around $220 for insurance on a C6Z, but I'm not really worried about insurance costs ect. I bring in around 1K a month and all I have to pay for is insurance and gas + a possible car payment for my Vette! I'm not really asking for financial advice or anything, but what would you recommend I get? I know if I get the C5Z down the road i'll probably want a C6 of some sort. I was thinking maybe save up a few more thousand and take out a 20K loan for a C6 Grand Sport. I'm not really to sure tho. I've never driven either one and there's a 15K price difference, so I'm tempted to buy the C5Z, but then I like the styling of the C6 Grand Sport! I can find a GS in virtually mint condition for around 45K VS 30K for a C5Z. I'll probably wait a year too I'm extremely sick at the moment and according to the DR.s it could take months before I get back to work. I never considered a C5Z until recently, so if anyone knows the HP and specs I would appreciate it. Thanks guys.
I'm going to agree with the general consensus that you should not spend all your money and take on debt right now. Also, so many places want you to apply for jobs online these days. You should look up websites like monsterjobs and apply for every and anything that pays more than that crap money (apply for things you are qualified for, and things you are just barely unqualified for, such as when they want 6 months experience for some stupid reason).

But if you must do it, go with the C5Z. I own one and have driven both. The performance is so close that it's just hard to justify the higher price for the C6. Also, run far far away from any C5Z up for $30k. I picked my pristine 03Z with 32,000 miles up for $25k 2 years ago, and that was when I was living in Hawaii (I was in the Marines). The car market out there plain sucks. Nothing but beaters and Lambos for the most part. When I was looking (for about 6 months), there were only 3 C5Zs I could find. The one I bought, and 2 ridiculously overpriced dealership cars ($35-40k for a C5Z? Huh?)
Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 AM
racebum
Race Director

19 should get you a nice c5z outright. maybe a stock 50-70k mile 2002-2003 car or a slightly higher mile car with some parts replaced

if you can see if you can find a rural car. they typically have a lot less stress per mile versus a city car

c5z is a great car but the all stock ones will need some parts replaced due to age
Old 06-23-2013, 11:44 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I read your thread in the C6Z section, I think C5Z is the way to go! Once you drive one you will love it!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Reject
Instructor

Id do the C5Z. Parts are alittle cheaper, easier to tune, and come on--it's a coupe!

Big advice here, plan for a rainy day/month/year. You mentioned your health and as you know that stuff can get out of hand FAST!

I want to buy a C6Z later on down the road when I can afford it cash. I hate monthly payments because if something financially drastically happens, the bank has you by the *****.

Your money, your life, but remember what we all are telling you this is experience talking here.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I couldn't agree more with the general consensus here. If you get a Corvette, the C5Z (or a C5 coupe for even less) is your best bet based on your financial situation, but honestly, I would be buying a less expensive car and trying to set up a source of significant income for yourself. The oil industry is BOOMING right now, investigate jobs in some of these boom towns and use some of your cash to go to wherever you find the work. THEN you will be in a perfect position to pick up your toy, and you won't have to worry about your home situation changing.

Last edited by rjwz28; 06-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM
SlowFRC
Racer

I have to pay for is insurance and gas + a possible car payment for my Vette!
You do know tires are close to $1,500 for these cars, right? There goes a month and a half of income. If anything breaks, even if you fix it yourself expect close to two weeks worth of income spent on even simple stuff. No where do you mention maintenance costs which can be high.

You've got a nice pile of money right now for someone your age (I'm 24) but if you want something fun I'd suggest spending far less money. A nice s2k is around 10 grand right now and although down on power it can still be a lot of fun.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

What is the plan to make more than 1K a month? If there is no plan or direction, spend your money developing and implementing the plan, so one day you can own each.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
You do know tires are close to $1,500 for these cars, right? There goes a month and a half of income. If anything breaks, even if you fix it yourself expect close to two weeks worth of income spent on even simple stuff. No where do you mention maintenance costs which can be high.

You've got a nice pile of money right now for someone your age (I'm 24) but if you want something fun I'd suggest spending far less money. A nice s2k is around 10 grand right now and although down on power it can still be a lot of fun.
meh, you can get 760s for 800 a set for a c5z

GS on the other hand. almost every choice is expensive
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Your 20 years old, in very poor health and wont be working for months, when you were working you made well under $20k a year, most certainly living with mom and dad, and your considering buying a $20-40k vette???? I think you should be looking for a different kind of dr for help, lol. Seriously though, why not keep 1/2 of that money you saved and get something nice in the $8-10k range. When my son turns 20, is still living at home and tells me he wants to get a newer corvette Im going to laugh at him first, then tell him to move out on his own and go buy a new ferarri if he wants.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM
94LT4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm extremely sick at the moment and according to the DR.s it could take months before I get back to work.
Get Well Soon!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)

Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
Your 20 years old, in very poor health and wont be working for months, when you were working you made well under $20k a year, most certainly living with mom and dad, and your considering buying a $20-40k vette???? I think you should be looking for a different kind of dr for help, lol. Seriously though, why not keep 1/2 of that money you saved and get something nice in the $8-10k range. When my son turns 20, is still living at home and tells me he wants to get a newer corvette Im going to laugh at him first, then tell him to move out on his own and go buy a new ferarri if he wants.
This has to be the most ignorant comment I have ever read. Ever experience **** fissure and hemorrhoids on top of Ulcerative Colitis? Ever puke up straight blood and become anemic due to losing vast amounts of blood every time you go to the bathroom? Well, I CAN'T leave my house. YES CAN'T. I realize not everyone is going to understand the situation and that's perfectly ok, but if I paid straight cash for my toy, then why would it matter? No debt (besides college loans), in college, and my parents don't expect me to move out until I'm 23-25 anyways. If you want to boot your son out the door at 20 be my guest, but fortunately for me I can live here for another 5 years. Also, when I get back to work I'll be making $840 a month. $200 or less for insurance and if I bought a GS $300 for a car payment. That lots me $300 extra for spending cash and I rarely spend my money. Also, I have tricks up my sleeve to earn more than 20K a year by doing something that requires not much more than my time. If I'm successful I could pull in an extra 10K EASILY every year and I enjoy doing this specific activity. Sorry for the rant, but I can't comprehend peoples logic. If I saved up 19K in one year and continued to follow the same trend I would have 57K - (non specific expenses) by the time I turned 23.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 94LT4
Get Well Soon!!!
Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Im sorry to hear of your health problems buddy, hope things improve for you soon. From the way you described your current health and employment situation in your first post, getting a $20k+ vette doesnt sound like a great decision in my opinion. But hey its your money and decision though, best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)