Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Read the FINE PRINT JA!
Annual Percentage Rate(APR) offered is subject to change and is determined by individual credit history

I pay 3.25 % on a brand new home that I built!! My 3 cars are PAID for! You are right though... Dealerships love guys like me.. stable, credit score over 700....

Originally Posted by 2FastCorvette4U
28% interest rate? You are laughable sir... Dealerships love people like you

http://www.firstnewyork.org/home/rates/autoloans

Last edited by TXGS507; 06-25-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Why would I be butthurt? I just think your sunshine and rainbows portrayal of a magical 84-month loan on a 2001 car that doesn't cost more than it's worth (assuming you can find a financial institution willing to do a $20k 84-month auto loan to a teenager to purchase a 2001 Corvette to begin with) is badly misleading to somebody without a whole lot of life experience. Yes, I came across as a jerk and apologize for the harshness, but that link did little to make your point, especially given that those rates were optimal rates given good credit, not the rates for first time applicants.
https://www.nwfcu.org/

This is the bank that gave me a 20 grand loan for 84 months on a 94TT Supra. He isn't a teenager either, he is 22 years old. You are also clearly not reading my posts about being reckless and smart at the same time. This thread was started by a " man " who is planning to be reckless no matter what. I pointed out a way to be reckless and smart at the same time. Borrowing 20 grand and giving a bank 5 to 6 grand for borrowing that cash for " 7 " years almost a decade I don't think is really a big deal. We are also talking about full maturity interest as well. Most people I guess don't realize they don't drive a car for more than 5 years and for us car lovers we are lucky if we get to 4 years. The interest he will pay in 4 years to borrow 20 grand with it giving him a low monthly payment while investing his liquid with a higher return than the interest he would pay at full maturity. This is just a no brainer. If you could really wrap your head around what I am saying it might benefit you. He has so many options. He plans to drive the car shortly until he can buy a GS anyways so why not borrow as much as you can without dumping all your liquid. I don't understand the concept of people borrowing money and not wanting to pay for borrowing the money. You all are like in some rat race to pay it off so fast. He doesn't need to dump all his liquid into a depreciating asset that would only cost him 2 grand in interest for a few years of ownership.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Read the FINE PRINT JA!
Annual Percentage Rate(APR) offered is subject to change and is determined by individual credit history

I pay 3.25 % on a brand new home that I built!! My 3 cars are PAID for! You are right though... Dealerships love guys like me.. stable, credit score over 700....

Whoa, that's impressive. I guess I should say what I have and then we pull our junk out of our pants and see who is really the bigger man? I guess my Italian car with a Bull looking at me on my steering wheel reminds me what a failure I must have been with my money
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legitimate
Well........I'm a first time buyer lol I'm only 20 and got my license at 17, so haven't had much time to buy anything and I didn't start working till 19.
With that being said, The GS is a pipe dream. Time to face reality and start focusing on purchasing a C5Z.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

28% interest rate? You are laughable sir... Dealerships love people like you

http://www.firstnewyork.org/home/rates/autoloans
First time buyer
$45k car
84month loan

Yea 28% interest is very realistic.

You are the laughable one, telling nieve individuals to take out 84 month loans...WTF! Hell, if this were a Mortgage, you'd be advising him to get an ARM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

You act like he doesn't have to pay for the car at all if he takes out a loan. I don't understand where you are coming from at all. Not only does he have to pay for it, but now he has to pay a premium for it since he would be financing. I understand your idea of investing, but good look making enough in that short time to cover your interest and other fees associated with the loan.

Also, it sounds like he has no installment credit and extremely limited, non-stable income so he won't be approved without a consigner.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Whoa, that's impressive. I guess I should say what I have and then we pull our junk out of our pants and see who is really the bigger man? I guess my Italian car with a Bull looking at me on my steering wheel reminds me what a failure I must have been with my money
Bernie Madoff, Allen Stanford and Jeffrey Skilling all had multiple Bulls and Prancing Horses looking at them.
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Originally Posted by All_Motor_C5LS6
First time buyer
$45k car
84month loan

You are the laughable one, telling nieve individuals to take out 84 month loans...WTF! Hell, if this were a Mortgage, you'd be advising him to get an ARM.
What if the car was 20 grand
Black 02
Safety Car

Something tells me that bull is financed longer than my home
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Bernie Madoff, Allen Stanford and Jeffrey Skilling all had multiple Bulls and Prancing Horses looking at them.
Yea, but they were a con artist I am not
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Originally Posted by Black 02
Something tells me that bull is financed longer than my home
Something tells me the avg home in Ann Texas is 150 grand and in NYC I couldn't get a bathroom for that much
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

You act like he doesn't have to pay for the car at all if he takes out a loan. I don't understand where you are coming from at all. Not only does he have to pay for it, but now he has to pay a premium for it since he would be financing. I understand your idea of investing, but good look making enough in that short time to cover your interest and other fees associated with the loan.

Also, it sounds like he has no installment credit and extremely limited, non-stable income so he won't be approved without a consigner.

A co-signer with strong credit isn't going to put their credit on the line over a GS.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

One more thing. If you finance EVERYTHING and lose your income you also lose EVERYTHING. If you pay off one item and move to the next, you can sell those items to pay your bills if you fall on hard times. Guess I'm "old school" but I'd rather own my possessions rather than have the bank own me.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

One more thing. If you finance EVERYTHING and lose your income you also lose EVERYTHING. If you pay off one item and move to the next, you can sell those items to pay your bills if you fall on hard times. Guess I'm "old school" but I'd rather own my possessions rather than have the bank own me.
That is not old school that is being smart and that is how we all should live but he isn't 50 years old nor has he finished college but has a huge passion for owning a Corvette like we all do. Leaving 19 grand in a checking account or savings account making nothing isn't smart either. Just saying options boys that fit his current situation.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Realistically, 19% Interest on a $45k Grandsport ($19k dn) car is $4940/yr. 4940*7yrs (84mnth) = 34580.

$34,580 in Interest is what he will pay the bank over a 7yr period at 19% First Time buyer interest.

His total cost for the car before tax and financing costs will be 26k+34580 = 60580...

Cost at 84 months is $60,580
Cost at 60 months is $50,700

If he financed an additional 2yrs, he would pay out almost $10k extra in Interest.. Not wise at all in my book.

Last edited by All_Motor_C5LS6; 06-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.nwfcu.org/

This is the bank that gave me a 20 grand loan for 84 months on a 94TT Supra. He isn't a teenager either, he is 22 years old. You are also clearly not reading my posts about being reckless and smart at the same time. This thread was started by a " man " who is planning to be reckless no matter what. I pointed out a way to be reckless and smart at the same time. Borrowing 20 grand and giving a bank 5 to 6 grand for borrowing that cash for " 7 " years almost a decade I don't think is really a big deal. We are also talking about full maturity interest as well. Most people I guess don't realize they don't drive a car for more than 5 years and for us car lovers we are lucky if we get to 4 years. The interest he will pay in 4 years to borrow 20 grand with it giving him a low monthly payment while investing his liquid with a higher return than the interest he would pay at full maturity. This is just a no brainer. If you could really wrap your head around what I am saying it might benefit you. He has so many options. He plans to drive the car shortly until he can buy a GS anyways so why not borrow as much as you can without dumping all your liquid. I don't understand the concept of people borrowing money and not wanting to pay for borrowing the money. You all are like in some rat race to pay it off so fast. He doesn't need to dump all his liquid into a depreciating asset that would only cost him 2 grand in interest for a few years of ownership.
First off: The OP is 20. Ok, not a teen, but not 22, and I have no idea where you got that from. As somebody else pointed out, at this stage in your life, things change pretty rapidly. My income has doubled every other year since I moved out at 18 (I'm 27), and my life really didn't stabilize into any sort of permanence until I was 23. I bought a fun car at 19: it was a 1993 Z28, because that's what I could responsibly afford at the time, and even that wasn't really responsible because you really need to be able to afford two vehicles to have a performance car in my home state of Michigan.

I've already eliminated the GS from all possibility of realism in this discussion, regardless of what he chooses to do, as his odds of securing one are slim to none and lower of keeping it. Not being a jerk, just being realistic. My debate with you is your encouragement of an 84-month loan over a 60-month loan, which will carry much lower interest and therefore cost the OP less over the time (short or long) that he owns the car. If I were to do this in his situation, I would put half of the cash he has saved down and finance the rest of the $20k Z06, therefore keeping enough money in the bank to deal with maintenance or repairs while demonstrating that he has the capital to own the car and possibly helping to secure a lower interest loan. I would take this loan of approximately $10k out for 60 months and make double payments every month that I could afford to so as to significantly reduce interest and set things up better for when I complete college and need to begin paying off student loans. He could pay $350 per month on a 60-month, $10k loan and be done with it in 2.5 years and still have his savings (which will likely have appreciated, as long as he regains financial stability) if nothing on the car has necessitated repair or significant maintenance during this time period.

Last edited by rjwz28; 06-25-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Don't confuse this guy any more than he already is.... He is probably thinking the "ARM" you are mentioning is attached to your shoulder ,hand. I must move on from this thread... Ignorance is bliss and this guy is a piece of work..

First time buyer
$45k car
84month loan

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)

Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

First off: The OP is 20. Ok, not a teen, but not 22, and I have no idea where you got that from. As somebody else pointed out, at this stage in your life, things change pretty rapidly. My income has doubled every other year since I moved out at 18 (I'm 27), and my life really didn't stabilize into any sort of permanence until I was 23. I bought a fun car at 19: it was a 1993 Z28, because that's what I could responsibly afford at the time, and even that wasn't really responsible because you really need to be able to afford two vehicles to have a performance car in my home state of Michigan.

I've already eliminated the GS from all possibility of realism in this discussion, regardless of what he chooses to do, as his odds of securing one are slim to none and lower of keeping it. Not being a jerk, just being realistic. My debate with you is your encouragement of an 84-month loan over a 60-month loan, which will carry much lower interest and therefore cost the OP less over the time (short or long) that he owns the car. If I were to do this in his situation, I would put half of the cash he has saved down and finance the rest of the $20k Z06, therefore keeping enough money in the bank to deal with maintenance or repairs while demonstrating that he has the capital to own the car and possibly helping to secure a lower interest loan. I would take this loan of approximately $10k out for 60 months and make double payments every month that I could afford to so as to significantly reduce interest and set things up better for when I complete college and need to begin paying off student loans. He could pay $350 per month on a 60-month, $10k loan and be done with it in 2.5 years and still have his savings (which will likely have appreciated, as long as he regains financial stability) if nothing on the car has necessitated repair or significant maintenance during this time period.
I knew he was low 20's but did not know he was 20, sorry for making a mistake on his age. I appreciate you taking the time to give some solid advice instead of the *** hat who keeps bringing the mortgage arm loan joke in and is clearly a yahoo.

The option you brought up is not a bad option either. The only difference is he will net a higher monthly payment with a benefit of paying less interest over a period of time while also keeping the other half in a bank account for possible car mechanical down falls instead of not looking into investing options for future financial growth which is what I suggested. The " ONLY " reason I suggested 84 months is because of his low monthly take home which his car payment plus insurance would probably only take close to half of his monthly take home leaving him 500 bucks left over not making him so tight because of a simple fact of not paying interest over some odd years. Will he pay more in interest, for sure he will, and it should be expected. Taking a banks money to place on a depreciating asset and paying a 5 to 6 grand penalty while having your liquid tide up in an investment account netting you more than the interest rate you are paying on that depreciating luxury toy, while still having 50% of your monthly net is just a option I would do in his current situation. I need that monthly payment low at that age due to my lack of monthly net income.

I wouldn't say my advice is bad or wrong and I wouldn't say yours is bad or wrong. Each option we mentioned is just that... It's an " OPTION ", and that is all he was asking for us to throw at him.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Legitimate
Intermediate

yeah I'm not getting a GS they're as much as the C6Z and even tho more reliable they're just too expensive. Ive read all the posts and the general consensus is to move out early, but that's just not going to happen. BTW I live in Ohio for anyone wondering. The doctors put me on a drug that costs 5K a month lol its called Humira and I have to take it for the rest of my life, but luckily it will only cost me $50 a month since I'm on my parents insurance I just want to enjoy myself before I graduate which is why I'm willing to drop this kind of cash. As soon as I get better I want my normal life again and I want to have fun. I can't drink, smoke, or eat certain foods so that leaves movies and cars for enjoyment + friends
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Originally Posted by Legitimate
yeah I'm not getting a GS they're as much as the C6Z and even tho more reliable they're just too expensive. Ive read all the posts and the general consensus is to move out early, but that's just not going to happen. BTW I live in Ohio for anyone wondering. The doctors put me on a drug that costs 5K a month lol its called Humira and I have to take it for the rest of my life, but luckily it will only cost me $50 a month since I'm on my parents insurance I just want to enjoy myself before I graduate which is why I'm willing to drop this kind of cash. As soon as I get better I want my normal life again and I want to have fun. I can't drink, smoke, or eat certain foods so that leaves movies and cars for enjoyment + friends
Just focus on getting better buddy and work hard now and everything will payoff later.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5Z VS C6 Grand Sport (Which One)