Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Experts-need assistance/input on future pricing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 AM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Wheel Experts-need assistance/input on future pricing.

MODS: Not selling or gauging interest. I'm trying to get assistance in pricing for future sale later in the summer.

I bought this 1997 in 2012 and has been my 2nd project since. Engine work, interior upgrades and now I have taken the plunge and ordered a new wheels, TPMS & tires package which I will have at the beginning of August. Since I went up another wheel size, I will be selling them with the tires. I'm not sure what a fair value considering the wheel and the age. I know opinions are like a%$ holes and everyone will have their own but I would like to offer a fair deal to possibly another board member/buyer later on this summer. Not looking to make money on these really just sell them and keep them out of my garage at a fair and reasonable price considering their brand and condition:

The wheels are a set of HRE 540s with Nitto Invos with about 60-70% life left. The wheels were put on in 2002 and tires in 2011.
Front 295/35ZR/18 Rears 345/30ZR/19

Wheels do not have rubs, damage, or curb rash (pictures show some reflections but there are no deep gauges or scratches). They do have the spotting which comes from age and honestly the car not being garaged and detailed at regular intervals in the past. I did use a couple of products but the chrome is spotted. I researched this and if redone professionally, they would look nearly new. I was going to have a wheel collision expert (http://www.wheelcollision.com/) refinish them but then decided on the new look and wheels and a BBK to go along with my little project.

Would $1500 be a fair deal?

Thank you for any input you guys may provide.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

For worn out tires and abused aftermarket wheels?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

It's a project...will require lots of work and several hundred to restore. Also, those are a very old style, so your market of buyers is limited. What I would do is dis-mount the tires ($75 at Discount Tire), then you can sell your TPMS sensors separately for $100. Because the tires are newer maybe get $4-500 for them, although that 345 rear is not very widespread with the majority of C5 owners. Decide what to ask for the wheels, or have them refurbished first.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
It's a project...will require lots of work and several hundred to restore. Also, those are a very old style, so your market of buyers is limited. What I would do is dis-mount the tires ($75 at Discount Tire), then you can sell your TPMS sensors separately for $100. Because the tires are newer maybe get $4-500 for them, although that 345 rear is not very widespread with the majority of C5 owners. Decide what to ask for the wheels, or have them refurbished first.
Thanks for the input- I was quoted 1200 to refinish and 3 remount and balance since there was no structural issues just cosmetic. You are right about the 345 as well.

I may just scrap them.

Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:32 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ztheusa
For worn out tires and abused aftermarket wheels?
I see your point. This is why I'm trying to figure this out now. The pics don't do the wheels much justice, it is primarily cosmetic but I see how the age detracts. I may just put out there on the curb or flee market for a couple of hundred and not deal with it.

Thanks again
Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

$15 autosol will clean those wheels to new. I did a set of viper wheels last week in the same condition with extreme spots and weathering. Obviously with yours it will require much more time because of all the groves but doable

Last edited by STALION; 06-22-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Instigator99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give ya $500 when the time comes, assuming its just cosmetic damage and nothing structural.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by STALION
$15 autosol will clean those wheels to new. I did a set of viper wheels last week in the same condition with extreme spots and weathering. Obviously with yours it will require much more time because of all the groves but doable
Thanks, I'll check into autosol. I've some other products and they did not quite take off the spotting.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Experts-need assistance/input on future pricing.

Quick Reply: Wheel Experts-need assistance/input on future pricing.