Sponsored by:

Need Help With A Decision - Seeking Advise & Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Need Help With A Decision - Seeking Advise & Opinions

I own a mint 2003 A/E convertible auto with 44,000 miles and is 100% stock. I have an opportunity to install a stock 2002 ZO6 titanium exhaust with 30,000 miles of use. This would be my Corvette's first modification.

My questions.

- Does the ZO6 titanium exhaust simply bolt up to the vehicle the same exact way without special consideration?

- Will I notice a difference in performance and/or sound? Is it louder while cruising?
I only commute with the car with a very rare occasion to accelerate aggresively, just a few times per year.

- Do you feel the mod will take away any value from the vehicle?

Please don't reply saying that I should consider an aftermarket system because that is another subject all together.

Thanks!
Ron
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

well I'm no expert but you have an A4 and the Z06 has an MN6 (they didn't make auto Z06's did they??) so you may not be able to use it.... for those with more knowledge
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I installed the TI exhaust on my 2002 Coupe with an automatic and it is a direct replacement and you can always go back to stock.
There is a noticeable different in sound, Not a lot but a little, I feel the TI exhaust is a worth while replacement for sure and sounds semi quite on the highway till you put your foot in it. The big benefit is the weight difference.
Do it....
Mr.Bill

I don't feel it will take value away from the car, If it does you can always put the stock back on with out any issues.

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 04-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 PM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I installed the TI exhaust on my 2002 Coupe with an automatic and it is a direct replacement and you can always go back to stock.
There is a noticeable different in sound, Not a lot but a little, I feel the TI exhaust is a worth while replacement for sure and sounds semi quite on the highway till you put your foot in it. The big benefit is the weight difference.
Do it....
Mr.Bill

I don't feel it will take value away from the car, If it does you can always put the stock back on with out any issues.
Just keep the stocker and you can always swap it back to pure stock.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Do it....
Mr.Bill

The Ti exhaust is a direct replacement for what you have on the car now and will save a little weight too. I don't see how it will have any impact on your car's value unless someone just wanted to have the stock system on there and if so, you can always go back to stock if you keep the old exhaust.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The TI's bolt right up but about all you's gain is a weight savings and a much better look. If I wasgoing to go to the trouble and expense I would get a Corsa Pace Car system and a x-pipe.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was one of my first mods. I did the X pipe at the same time. I totally agree with Mr Bill's assessment and would add that the Ti's flow better as well. Go for it, you won't regret it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM
hoosiervette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

That was the first mod that I did and I have no regrets at all. It provides quiet driving until you hit the go pedal, then it gives a nice moderate roar.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Let's see...

Cheap
Light weight
No drone
Sound good on acceleration
Flow great
Don't rust
Look way better than stock

What's not to like?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Loc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on my 2001 coupe and really like it. Easy to clean and no rust. I say go for it.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've got the Ti exhaust on my convertible, too. As all above have said, it makes perfect sense. Along with high flow cats and an x-pipe, my exhaust note is right where I want it - aggressive sound with acceleration, but fairly quiet at cruising speed, even with the top down.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
I only commute with the car with a very rare occasion to accelerate aggresively, just a few times per year.

Thanks!
Ron
Have some fun, drive it like you stole it......

I put the TI's on with stock headers, and H pipe, real nice, but than I added LG Street headers, X pipe.....love it. I could re-do the entire engine, and I'd keep that same system....

Z06 TI's are a good choice!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My friend's brother's uncle's neighbor put them on his and picked up 80RWHP...
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM
mydreamc5
Advanced

Do it....
Mr.Bill

It will bolt on nicely, make it sound a little better, be a little lighter. If your worried about keeping it stock (I am the same way) just keep your old exhaust, put it up in your attic or somthing like that out of the way and IF you ever sell your car or want it stock, simply put the old exhaust back on. No harm, no foul. Enjoy!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Thank you all for your inputs and thoughts. I thought I was setup to be notified when you reply but not the case here.

I had decided to forget it but now after reading through all your replies, you've got me pursuing the purchase.

Thanks All!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The Ti exhaust is a direct replacement for what you have on the car now and will save a little weight too. I don't see how it will have any impact on your car's value unless someone just wanted to have the stock system on there and if so, you can always go back to stock if you keep the old exhaust.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Thank you all for your inputs and thoughts. I thought I was setup to be notified when you reply but not the case here.

I had decided to forget it but now after reading through all your replies, you've got me pursuing the purchase.

Thanks All!
Just do it. You'll not regret it, I guarantee. As others have mentioned, just save your old exhaust in case you or a future owner wants it back to OEM.

BTW, what are you paying for that 30K mi TI? The going rate is about $300-$400. Hopefully the purchase is local. Be cautious if you're having it shipped. That could run around $140.

Last edited by LS2NSUV; 04-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help With A Decision - Seeking Advise & Opinions

Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

I just bought the 2002 ZO6 exhaust. Boy they sure are light weight. They look great with no dents or scratches. I think a little polishing of the tips to perfection and I am good to go.

The fellow was a real nice guy. He even came to my place of employment and delivered them. Given his close proximity to work, it was fitting to give him an extra $5.

Oh, I paid $150 for them. He had them on Craigslist for more. I offered $150 many months ago and he contacted me with an acceptance. Then I started this thread to get the scoop fresh on this idea, making sure I want to go through with it.

All I can say is......If I don't like them once installed, I have you all to blame. Thank you all for the encouragement. I anticipate really enjoying the upgrade.

I do have access to an auto lift so I will take your advise and be sure to use it. I will report back some day after I have driven the car a while. But it willl be the May/June time frame. My original exhaust will be placed in my attic....just in-case.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 04-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I just bought the 2002 ZO6 exhaust. Boy they sure are light weight. They look great with no dents or scratches. I think a little polishing of the tips to perfection and I am good to go.

The fellow was a real nice guy. He even came to my place of employment and delivered them. Given his close proximity to work, it was fitting to give him an extra $5.

Oh, I paid $150 for them.

All I can say is......If I don't like them once installed, I have you all to blame. Thank you all for the encouragement. I anticipate really enjoying the upgrade.

I do have access to an auto lift so I will take your advise and be sure to use it. I will report back some day after I have driven the car a while. But it willl be the May/June time frame. My original exhaust will be placed in my attic....just in-case.

Thanks Again!
I think you will like them, I paid a local muffler shop 50 bucks to install mine and it took all of 30 mins. Well worth it seeing you need a lift to do the job safely.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

I paid a local muffler shop 50 bucks to install mine and it took all of 30 mins.
Good to know just in case...thanks!

Our church has a CARS ministry fixing vehicles for the less fortunate. I volunteer at the shop there. With six lifts, there is opportunity to do this project after the nights work is wrapped up. Since I have yet to get my Corvette up on a lift, this seems a great opportunity to check the trans fluid and a general under-inspection.

I suppose I should replace the two exhaust gaskets instead of re-use. What you all think?

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 04-10-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help With A Decision - Seeking Advise & Opinions