Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to replace shocks on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:05 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

when I did mine on my 03 z06 swapped them out to the 2012 c6 z06 shocks from gm partshouse, I tried the zip tie method but it was to hard..i ended up buying a cheap ratchet tie down from wally world and used that to compress the shocks.worked like a charm and gave me complete control on setting the shock into its base
Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
I did mine twice (C5 Z51 shocks, Koni FSD shocks=current)
I does not take that long, just work slow and easy and careful using safety equipment (gloves,goggles etc.)

After you are done you would be able to cut the time in half and then a third time you are an expert!

Thanks,Matt
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention gloves. My hands looked like they went through a meat grinder getting the back C6Z06 shocks out because they are under so much pressure. Then after my hands were bloody I took a pair of Machanix gloves and cut the finger tips out (from knuckle to tip) like a pair of biker gloves so I could feel starting the nuts and work with the Zip Ties. The fronts were easy for me using 2 jacks and zip ties and a small open end wrench for holding the top shock nut shaft and a ratcheting box wrench for the shock nut.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 AM
mooney201
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone replace the rubber grommet on the rear shock mount with a neoprene one?

Last edited by mooney201; 06-23-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99

you can DIY in a couple hours by yourself....the hardest part is keeping the shock compressed to get it in position....watch your fingers!
Easy job. I looped a piece of wire around the compressed shocks before I installed them and then cut the wire so did not have any trouble trying to keep them compressed while installing.
I have since replaced them with coil-overs which was easy also.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Note that if you are replacing with Bilsteins, the front shocks (top shaft end) do not have a "flat", but have an Allen head recess in the end of the shaft.

Edit: I did not look carefully (see my below post). The windshield and coolant resevoirs could of been loosened or removed to gain access to the top of the shocks.

Also, I replaced the F55 Magnetic Selective Ride shocks (leaking after 30K miles) with the Bilstein Sports, and both the old F55 & new Bilstein shocks are gas pressurized so that the vehicle hgt. did not change at all (I was concerned that I would see a change). Am very pleased with the ride results:

Essentially have the same ride & and better control with the Bilstein Sports
compared with the F55 set on "Sport" (I always used the "Sport" setting, "Touring" was way too soft & wallowing for me) to the point that I don't notice that the shocks have been changed, except when hitting a bump or pot hole. The F55 use to depress & dip more on jounce, and occasionally the front end would scrape the road. I do not have that issue with the Bilsteins.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:39 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Note that if you are replacing with Bilsteins, the front shocks (top shaft end) do not have a "flat", but have an Allen head recess in the end of the shaft, but the installed location of the top of the shock in the C5 does not allow room for an Allen wrench. To compound that, the nuts they supply are Nylock (locking) nuts. In other words, when trying to tighten the nut, the shaft will turn, and with no way to hold the shaft, we have a problem.

I solved it by running a tap through the supplied Nylock nut, which cuts some of the nylon locking material away, and allows the nut to partially thread on, but still retains enough nylon to act as a locknut. However, as I tightened the nut further, the shaft still began to rotate.

I then put a couple of "extra" nut on the top of the exposed end of the shaft, and "double nutted" them, giving me a method of holding the shaft with another open end wrench, while tightening the Nylock nut. Once it was fully tightened, I loosened and removed the 2 "extra" nuts.

Also, I replaced the F55 Magnetic Selective Ride shocks (leaking after 30K miles) with the Bilstein Sports, and both the old F55 & new Bilstein shocks are gas pressurized so that the vehicle hgt. did not change at all (I was concerned that I would see a change). Am very pleased with the ride results:

Essentially have the same ride & and better control with the Bilstein Sports
compared with the F55 set on "Sport" (I always used the "Sport" setting, "Touring" was way too soft & wallowing for me) to the point that I don't notice that the shocks have been changed, except when hitting a bump or pot hole. The F55 use to depress & dip more on jounce, and occasionally the front end would scrape the road. I do not have that issue with the Bilsteins.

Plasticman
Wow that is a problem. I was thinking about Bilsteins. Wonder if you could use a grinder and make a couple of flats in the top of the shaft and just use OEM nuts or are the threads all the way to the top of the shaft?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by craig04c5
Wow that is a problem. I was thinking about Bilsteins. Wonder if you could use a grinder and make a couple of flats in the top of the shaft and just use OEM nuts or are the threads all the way to the top of the shaft?
After looking at it "again", I see that I could of removed (or perhaps just loosened) the windshield washer & radiator resevoirs to gain acess to the top of the front shock shafts to insert an Allen Head wrench.

My "method" worked, but I should of looked better. Also, the Bilstein "instructions" are totally useless..........

Plasticman
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Thanks good to know. The tanks are not hard to move out of the way. It will make it a PITA though.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
2002BlackMN6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me about 3 hours to replace all the shocks, but I had to include the extra step of installing resistors to fool the F45 system.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2002BlackMN6
It took me about 3 hours to replace all the shocks, but I had to include the extra step of installing resistors to fool the F45 system.
Same here, but I was replacing the F55, and it was a 3 hour drive (to & back) to have a guy with a Tech2 scanner dial it out of the BCM (local dealers refused, and non-dealer who has a Tech2 had never done it before, and did not know if he could do it).

Once I had pulled out the F55 shocks, I was riding around with the dreaded "80 mph max. speed" warning every 10 minutes (use the "reset" button to shut it off - until the next 10 minutes elapses, and then hit it again.......).

Note that some forum instructions say to disconnect the battery for at least 60 minutes. He did not do that, and it still worked fine.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-24-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to replace shocks on a C5?