Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did CD changers come on some of these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Did CD changers come on some of these cars?

First off, I purchased my C-5 about 3 weeks ago and still learning. I bought it site unseen out of Houston, TX and I am in the Seattle area (at least I had not seen it, but I had a friend go look at it and told him my concerns). We really like the car and having a good time with it. I went down to Houston and drove it home (yes, pictures already posted before I get blasted). I was going through the car when I got home and "found" the CD changer in the trunk well. Was this an option on the C5? I played with it a little and cannot figure out how to get the CD holder out of it, but that's another story. I did a search on the forum first and it looks like it might have been an option. I am just curious. -Glenn
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
FLHTK103
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changer

I've had my C5 for about a week and a half now. Mine also has the changer. I loaded it up for the road trip I'm on and it didn't work. But I took a second look at it when I had the luggage out of the car and discovered I had the disks in upside down. The changer now works flawlessly!
Al you have to do to get the carrier out is close the door on the changer and then re-open it. Pay attention to the small print instructions on the carrier to orient the CDs in the right manner.
Hope yours works as well. Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

HHAHAHAHA! I had a CD upside down in there as well.

As asked, yes it was an option. Now flip your disks around!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yup - it's an option. Mine didn't come with one. Funny how quickly tech changes now. Cassette was still available for the C5 - CD optional. Now a few short years later, IPods & USB rule the roost! Just added an aux port to mine... no more CDs for me!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks guys, I have opened and closed the door a few times and the carrier still won't come out (I hear it try to come out, but it seems jammed). Once I get it out then I can put some CDs in it (hopefully right side up).
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

I have heard that people play records backward and hear "messages from the afterlife". I wonder what you hear if you play a CD upside down...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Indeed- it was an option.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

15,979 of the 35,469 2003 model year came with option U1S (12 disc changer)
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting that it doesn't want to come out.....

I can't remember what the model is but what I would do is get the name and model of the changer than google it.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Glenn Jenne
Thanks guys, I have opened and closed the door a few times and the carrier still won't come out (I hear it try to come out, but it seems jammed). Once I get it out then I can put some CDs in it (hopefully right side up).
Sounds like one one the cds fell out of the tray and is stuck
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM
FLHTK103
Intermediate

Default Changer

Mine works great, now that the disks are in the right way. But I have an iPod/iPhone interface waiting for me when I get home. I wonder if I'll ever use the changer again. Considering taking it out....
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,428 Likes on 14,044 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting the changer to work. Not a bad option to have on the car.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM
KingTut
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Changer Cartridge Stuck

I just did this fix for about the 4th time on my unit. These things are very mechanical and if you have a severe jolt to the car like a pot hole or speed bump you can shake one of the black plastic sleeves lose or get a cd to jump out of place.

1) Pull fuse #5
2) Disconnect the interface cable from the bottom of the unit in the trunk.
3) Undo the 6 hex screws holding it in place and take the black box out of the car.
4) Remove 2 smaller screws right by the connector and 4 more larger screws from the 2 ends and the shell will come off.
5) From here you can find any black shells that are out and push them back into the cartridge. Now a white lever near the bottom will release the cartridge.
6) Be sure to remove the CD that is most likely still in the player.
7) Get the cartridge set up as you like and put the thing back together and back into the car. Replace the fuse - but do the insertion of the cartridge last. It should work.

Most of the problems in all the threads on here come from a part of the cartridge shaken lose while in the changer. It is very mechanical and is seldom the actual reader of the CD's. Mine did not come with one, but I installed a used one about 10 years ago and it still plays fine - I just have to redo the cartridge every couple of years. I believe yours will work fine also once you get the cartridge and CD's out and back into the cartridge properly.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by KingTut
I just did this fix for about the 4th time on my unit. These things are very mechanical and if you have a severe jolt to the car like a pot hole or speed bump you can shake one of the black plastic sleeves lose or get a cd to jump out of place.

1) Pull fuse #5
2) Disconnect the interface cable from the bottom of the unit in the trunk.
3) Undo the 6 hex screws holding it in place and take the black box out of the car.
4) Remove 2 smaller screws right by the connector and 4 more larger screws from the 2 ends and the shell will come off.
5) From here you can find any black shells that are out and push them back into the cartridge. Now a white lever near the bottom will release the cartridge.
6) Be sure to remove the CD that is most likely still in the player.
7) Get the cartridge set up as you like and put the thing back together and back into the car. Replace the fuse - but do the insertion of the cartridge last. It should work.

Most of the problems in all the threads on here come from a part of the cartridge shaken lose while in the changer. It is very mechanical and is seldom the actual reader of the CD's. Mine did not come with one, but I installed a used one about 10 years ago and it still plays fine - I just have to redo the cartridge every couple of years. I believe yours will work fine also once you get the cartridge and CD's out and back into the cartridge properly.
Thanks King, very helpful! -Glenn
Old 06-19-2013, 04:57 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 274 Likes on 122 Posts
Oldtimer

Had the same problem with mine. Bit the bullet and yanked it and the stock head unit with cassette out and replaced it with a unit from Dennis at DDmods.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Yup - it's an option. Mine didn't come with one. Funny how quickly tech changes now. Cassette was still available for the C5 - CD optional. Now a few short years later, IPods & USB rule the roost! Just added an aux port to mine... no more CDs for me!

I wasn't into CDs all that much when I bought my C-5, so I simply went with the "standard equipment" cassette player. Boy, am I sorry about that.....
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

My 2003 came with it, but today the sound on one CD was going "blank" for a moment, and then returning. This happened often on only the one (of the 12 CD's), and when changed to a different CD, it worked just fine. I will have to change that one CD, and hopefully that will solve the issue.

But if not, I thank KingTut for the writeup!
Plasticman
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
1SC
Instructor

Wasn't someone making an option to put an MP3 player back where the changer is?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM
crazystevex
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you can just unplug it to plug in an mp3 player, I pulled out my changer cause i put a touch screen unit in.

Get notified of new replies

To Did CD changers come on some of these cars?

Quick Reply: Did CD changers come on some of these cars?