Sponsored by:

Topless with windows up

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Topless with windows up

Does anybody else besides me think that it looks kinda dumb to have a convertible (any make) with the top down and the windows up ? IMHO it seems kinda silly to have a vert for the wind in your hair (what's left) and sun in your face to ride along with the windows up. My wife and I laugh everytime we see someone doing that ... mostly in Bimmers, Benz, etc.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
Spider Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On regular streets I don't think it's necessary. But on the Freeways/Highways, It can be at High speeds. Too much wind kills the music sounds. Windows up you get the best of both worlds. Do you have a Vert???
Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Spider Vette
On regular streets I don't think it's necessary. But on the Freeways/Highways, It can be at High speeds. Too much wind kills the music sounds. Windows up you get the best of both worlds. Do you have a Vert???
Yep .. only way to go in a Vette - all mine have been verts. My windows are ALWAYS down when top is down - even on the highway.

Last edited by C5Txfan; 06-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Spider Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Yep .. only way to go in a Vette - all mine have been verts.
Cool, I love verts!!! Now what get's me is that on my way to work, I See a few guys out at 5am with their Mazda Miata's top down & It's very cold out. So they have a jacket, Hat & Scarf on!! If it's that cold just keep the top up lol!!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Does anybody else besides me think that it looks kinda dumb to have a convertible (any make) with the top down and the windows up ? IMHO it seems kinda silly to have a vert for the wind in your hair (what's left) and sun in your face to ride along with the windows up. My wife and I laugh everytime we see someone doing that ... mostly in Bimmers, Benz, etc.
I know in my coupe that when I have the top off and the windows up I can feel the A/C and still enjoy the experience of having the top off. If you've ever lived through a Texas summer you'd appreciate how much that A/C really means.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I know in my coupe that when I have the top off and the windows up I can feel the A/C and still enjoy the experience of having the top off. If you've ever lived through a Texas summer you'd appreciate how much that A/C really means.
Don't live far from ya ED .. lived in Texas all my life. I've had the top down when hot with A/C on or when cold with heater on ... but still no windows up !
Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a coupe and if the top is out the windows are down. Having the windows up is pointless IMO.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Vert or Coupe with the top off and having the windows up is no big deal, I don't care one way or another, I know it is nice to have the top off and windows down, But at high speeds with the top off it is nice to have the windows up for a number of reasons.
It really is no concern of mine what a person does with his windows and I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
Mr.Bill
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Ain't gonna do that Mr Bill .. just looks dumb to me.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yup.. looks dumb. But I do roll them up sometimes on the freeway when it's cold & I forgot to bring a jacket Usually though it's the gf who complains of the wind which is why they go up.

Seriously though, I'm past caring what others may think.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I do the same thing occasionally. Best of both worlds.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done it a couple times, usually when the outside temps drop quickly. Happened to me once going through the Poconos, went from around 65 degrees down to around 50 over the course of about 20 minutes....and once driving down to Altantic City, as soon as we got near the ocean, probably a 30 degree swing from when I left home.

People driving a convertible with the windows up doesn't bother me as much as people driving a convertible with the top up when the weather is nice.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Don't live far from ya ED .. lived in Texas all my life. I've had the top down when hot with A/C on or when cold with heater on ... but still no windows up !
I do the heater thing too.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oldtimer

I wouldn't go so far as to ridicule anyone for having their windows up but I don't do it myself. I have a Wind Restrictor, I can drive top down/windows down with a flat cap on at 70 MPH without the cap being blown into the passengers footwell like it did before I put it in. A few days ago i drove down from 6400 ft/50° to the valley at 64° with just a long sleeve shirt, no jacket. I see other makes with the windows up and wonder if they're that much more breezy than my C5
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Vert or Coupe with the top off and having the windows up is no big deal, I don't care one way or another, I know it is nice to have the top off and windows down, But at high speeds with the top off it is nice to have the windows up for a number of reasons.
It really is no concern of mine what a person does with his windows and I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
Mr.Bill
I like the new avatar.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM
LMFD296
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

At highway speeds you cant hear a damn thing either way. Too bad they don't make a deflector for the top of the windshield to push the air away and reduce all the noise
Old 06-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Mr.Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Topless with windows up

Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son, and his girlfriend say its not cool to have the windows up with the top down so not wanting to be un-cool I just crank the heat up.

They also think its stupid that I don't drive my car if its going to rain, but I can't listen to everything they say.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM
mxz800
Pro

Originally Posted by LMFD296
At highway speeds you cant hear a damn thing either way. Too bad they don't make a deflector for the top of the windshield to push the air away and reduce all the noise
I have a deflector for my 74 Corvette it works great to bad they don't make something for the C5.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Mr.Bill
You've got it straight, Mr. Bill! Who's business is it anyway!

Quick Reply: Topless with windows up