Sponsored by:

Keeping value

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Grizvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping value

I was just thinking about changing out the radio in my 03 vert.. It has an Alpine in it from a previous owner that has too many bells and whistles on it. I was debating about replacing it with a stock am/fm/cd. Would going stock help in retaining the cars value any or would it be a non issue? Is the quality of the stock radio far as sound good? Thanks for your opinions ahead of time.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on the radio and how clean the install is. If it's an old cheap ugly head unit from Walmart and the install was a hack job, then you're probably better with a factory unit. If it's a quality unit with a clean install, then it likely wouldn't have a negative effect on value, and may even add some (although very little) value.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound quality of the stock system is less than desirable. I don't know about the value of OEM?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

My personal opinion - without even seeing your radio - is that the stock almost undoubtably looks better... IMO the only after market radios that look good in those cars are the double din (where the center console has been modded to accept it). It just doesn't look right with a single din (i'm assuming you have a single dinn with a big black blank surround).

The only single din's that even look passable to me are the ones with that custom surround that has the light up "corvette" in the blank black area around the Head unit. Even then I prefer the stock look personally.

The stock HU can be modified to do almost anything an aftermarket will do (mine has bluetooth both for phone and streeming audio and aux input for less than $50). And unless your really serious about sound I think the stocker can give decent sound with replacement speakers and adding a sub.

That being said. It's only ever that - opinion. However. I doubt having a stock radio will push off buyers where having an aftermarket may.

If you do decide to go stock be sure your system wasn't gutted to add the new system. There are 2 ways basically to add an aftermarket head unit - one is using an adapter that allows you to keep the existing bose amp and speakers, the other involves adding all new speakers wires, amps, etc. . if your system was gutted you may not be able to just "plug in" a stock HU anymore

Last edited by rielcrazy; 06-12-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
vettestream
Racer

These cars are not worth anything anymore, don't worry about the value. Having and OEM system vs an aftermarket one makes no difference (in terms of value), it's more of a personal preference.

As for sound, the stock system is less than desirable..but you will have to replace all the components to correct it.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Grizvette
Intermediate

That's one item I am worried about, whether I'll need a new wiring harness or not. Judging by the way the XM radio was installed and radar detector I should expect the worst. They disconnected the cigarette lighter for a power supply source for one of the these not that I smoke but would of been nice to have used it for my ipod.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by maxx2200
The sound quality of the stock system is less than desirable. I don't know about the value of OEM?
I might have a tin ear , but I see nothing wrong with the stock radios and with mine it has the cassette player which plays the tons of classic oldies that I have and I still have the multi disc player in the trunk. And I think that the original radios are much easier to use. Bigger buttons for us old guys to see.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

value is in the eye of the beholder.

you have a reversible mod. the only mods that can be a value kill are un reversible mods where the car is cut up, welded on, altered etc
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM
maxx2200
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racebum

you have a reversible mod. the only mods that can be a value kill are un reversible mods where the car is cut up, welded on, altered etc
Good point.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

I didnt buy my Corvette for the next owner... its mine and I am going to do anything I want to it and I am going to to enjoy it !! I have been a gear head all my life and in my opinion the C5 is one of the best value and fun per dollar cars out there. Have u seen what these cars are selling for nowadays ? Bottom line its your car, do whatever you want to do to it and enjoy owning it
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

As much as I mod my car, I'm not about to cut anything up. Everything I do can be reversed. I even bought a second radio bezel for my future double din install. Up here in BC, collectors plate status = cheap insurance BUT.... everything has to be period correct.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
PNW Vett
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

I guess I have a tin ear also, I like the sound of the stock system. Must be my age.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rielcrazy
My personal opinion - without even seeing your radio - is that the stock almost undoubtably looks better... IMO the only after market radios that look good in those cars are the double din (where the center console has been modded to accept it). It just doesn't look right with a single din (i'm assuming you have a single dinn with a big black blank surround).

The only single din's that even look passable to me are the ones with that custom surround that has the light up "corvette" in the blank black area around the Head unit. Even then I prefer the stock look personally.

The stock HU can be modified to do almost anything an aftermarket will do (mine has bluetooth both for phone and streeming audio and aux input for less than $50). And unless your really serious about sound I think the stocker can give decent sound with replacement speakers and adding a sub.

That being said. It's only ever that - opinion. However. I doubt having a stock radio will push off buyers where having an aftermarket may.

If you do decide to go stock be sure your system wasn't gutted to add the new system. There are 2 ways basically to add an aftermarket head unit - one is using an adapter that allows you to keep the existing bose amp and speakers, the other involves adding all new speakers wires, amps, etc. . if your system was gutted you may not be able to just "plug in" a stock HU anymore
I've seen some butt ugly single din radios installed in C5s that look like a big zit in the console.

IMO, it's not really worth moving off of the stock OEM 1.5 din head unit unless you upgrade to a double din head unit with the modified center console.

There are many beautiful examples on this forum, mostly from DD Mods and a few from others such as Apsis where the double din and NAV system looks better than OEM or at least on par with OEM.

I had one guy at a show ask me what interior package I ordered from GM.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Coach32
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I pick this C5 because I feel it is a lot of car for the money. I'm surprised they haven't held their value better. The nicely kept ones are doing pretty well.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
sircampsalot2
Pro

Everyone's so worried about there car losing value....Its a C5 it has lost all the value its going to....unless you install **** carpet and paint it zebra striped
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Jenne
I guess I have a tin ear also, I like the sound of the stock system. Must be my age.
depends on what you put through it. news and less demanding music like sinatra it's not bad with

try fast paced rock or trance/house and the limits really start to show
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

This isn't a c1/c2. Whether you keep it bone stock or not, Its still a modern mass produced plastic car that is going to continue depreciating. You might as well mod it to your taste and live life and not be one of those who consider their C5's as an investment and keep it locked up in the garage and worry about the smallest thing killing its value because its already losing value as it sits.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping value

Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Drummingdad
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"The stock HU can be modified to do almost anything an aftermarket will do (mine has blue-tooth both for phone and streaming audio and aux input for less than $50). And unless your really serious about sound I think the stocker can give decent sound with replacement speakers and adding a sub."

I would be curious to learn more about this upgrade, with the exception of the sub and amp
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,387 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

And if you want to be sure you put something in the car that will not only look good but sound good, contact Dennis at Double D Mods and he can recommend a good system for the car.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
This isn't a c1/c2. Whether you keep it bone stock or not, Its still a modern mass produced plastic car that is going to continue depreciating. You might as well mod it to your taste and live life and not be one of those who consider their C5's as an investment and keep it locked up in the garage and worry about the smallest thing killing its value because its already losing value as it sits.
Funny , I heard the same things back when the C1's and C2's were the age that the C5's are now and everybody was putting fender flares on them. Nobody was thinking that they would be worth what they are today so the modded them to death. But even after that some people kept them stock and now are happy they did. Now they are hearing ca-ching ca-ching .

Quick Reply: Keeping value