Sponsored by:

Keeping value

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
Funny , I heard the same things back when the C1's and C2's were the age that the C5's are now and everybody was putting fender flares on them. Nobody was thinking that they would be worth what they are today so the modded them to death. But even after that some people kept them stock and now are happy they did. Now they are hearing ca-ching ca-ching .
I'm willing to bet thats not going to happen with C4+ Corvettes. This is a completely different time era. There are far too many of them out there to be worth anything, Especially when there are better c6/c7 cars out there. A c5 will always be the car thats worth more than a C4 and less than a C6.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drummingdad
"The stock HU can be modified to do almost anything an aftermarket will do (mine has blue-tooth both for phone and streaming audio and aux input for less than $50). And unless your really serious about sound I think the stocker can give decent sound with replacement speakers and adding a sub."

I would be curious to learn more about this upgrade, with the exception of the sub and amp
If you replace the speakers wouldn't you have to add an amp?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 AM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stock HU

Originally Posted by Drummingdad
"The stock HU can be modified to do almost anything an aftermarket will do (mine has blue-tooth both for phone and streaming audio and aux input for less than $50). And unless your really serious about sound I think the stocker can give decent sound with replacement speakers and adding a sub."

I would be curious to learn more about this upgrade, with the exception of the sub and amp

I'd also LOVE to hear (read) more about how to add bluetooth to my stock HU!! I agree w/ several of the previous posters that the single DIN HU's look.....less than desireable. I prefer the look of the stock unit, but don't play CD's. Everything I listen to comes from my phone...music, telephone, etc.

So...how'd you add BT to your stock HU?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by vettestream
These cars are not worth anything anymore, don't worry about the value. Having and OEM system vs an aftermarket one makes no difference (in terms of value), it's more of a personal preference.

As for sound, the stock system is less than desirable..but you will have to replace all the components to correct it.
Originally Posted by rob-cyn
I didnt buy my Corvette for the next owner... its mine and I am going to do anything I want to it and I am going to to enjoy it !! I have been a gear head all my life and in my opinion the C5 is one of the best value and fun per dollar cars out there. Have u seen what these cars are selling for nowadays ? Bottom line its your car, do whatever you want to do to it and enjoy owning it
Couldn't agree more. It's an unfortunate reality but so many of these cars were, made they do not hold their value at all... so go to town with it (e.g. mods).

On the other hand, if you keep it bone stock, garage it and never use it, in about 30 years it will probably be worth a lot of money.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the most popular upgrade for speakers with the stock system is to switch out the 3.5" twiddlers in the front. the JL c2 line or kicker KS are both inexpensive and sound pretty good, well as good as can be expected for an equalized signal. the bose use a full range speaker to produce highs and it's sorely lacking with many types of music

sub upgrade is also easy and you don't need much sub to blend with the factory system. i used a single jl audio 6w3 which is a only a 6.5" sub and it has more than enough output to blend with the bose+upgraded speakers.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KoreaJon

I'd also LOVE to hear (read) more about how to add bluetooth to my stock HU!! I agree w/ several of the previous posters that the single DIN HU's look.....less than desireable. I prefer the look of the stock unit, but don't play CD's. Everything I listen to comes from my phone...music, telephone, etc.

Thanks!
I would like to know how that was done as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 AM
rob-cyn
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 43 Posts

Bottom line is... Did u buy the car to enjoy it or just to tell everyone you have one that you can't drive for fear that it might not be worth as much ? I just have never understood how you can be a car guy and just let a car like this sit there. I drive mine and love every minute.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-cyn
Bottom line is... Did u buy the car to enjoy it or just to tell everyone you have one that you can't drive for fear that it might not be worth as much ? I just have never understood how you can be a car guy and just let a car like this sit there. I drive mine and love every minute.
Thats what im saying. Too many people buy these cars and think they are going to replicate what the classics did. I mean cool, If someone wants to buy one of these to have as a garage ornament and save it for the next person to use it for its intention, sounds good to me.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbhood
If you replace the speakers wouldn't you have to add an amp?
No. The stock Bose system has speaker amps. The new speakers just have to be compatible. DD mods has several replacement speaker packages
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .Originally Posted by KoreaJon:

Thanks!
duramaxsky;1584144273
I would like to know how that was done as well.
You guys want me to post it up in this thread? I can shoot some pics. Or u want me to make a new one? It's my favorite thing I've done so far!

I'm thinking I should make a new one and post the link?

Last edited by rielcrazy; 06-13-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:34 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by maxx2200
The sound quality of the stock system is less than desirable.
Hmmmmm! The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean sound just fine on mine.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have a tin ear , but I see nothing wrong with the stock radios and with mine it has the cassette player which plays the tons of classic oldies that I have and I still have the multi disc player in the trunk. And I think that the original radios are much easier to use. Bigger buttons for us old guys to see.
Time to get your ears checked. Mine was the first mod I made because the sound was so bad. At speed and especially with the top off it was unintelligible. As for the buttons, my touch screen Kenwood is very easy to use and has big buttons for us old guys. My only problem with it is that the clock is quite small and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

To the OP, even if yours is a cheap single din, it cannot be worse than the Bose OEM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'm happy with the sound of my OEM. Maybe I should get my ears checked?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I would never keep the stock unit. The C5 will not see an inrease in value and collectibility for at least 30 more years. The stock Bose system sounds like you are listening to a tuned potato. Its a turd that cant be polished.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
I'm willing to bet thats not going to happen with C4+ Corvettes. This is a completely different time era. There are far too many of them out there to be worth anything, Especially when there are better c6/c7 cars out there. A c5 will always be the car thats worth more than a C4 and less than a C6.
Well you are wrong about one thing already. The C5 is more popular than the C6 now and when the C7 comes out the C6 won't be the new kid on the block anymore so it will just have to stand on it's own and will fall back close to the C4 level. It's hard to make a C6 pretty.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well you are wrong about one thing already. The C5 is more popular than the C6 now and when the C7 comes out the C6 won't be the new kid on the block anymore so it will just have to stand on it's own and will fall back close to the C4 level. It's hard to make a C6 pretty.
I'd have to agree about the C5 values .. they are holding up VERY well here in my area! A good, well kept '03 - '04 car with decent miles is going in the upper 20's around here. C6 for now are still holding up well also.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I'm keeping my car bone stock because I think it will be worth a fortune some day.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping value

Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM
KoreaJon
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding BT to stock HU

Originally Posted by rielcrazy
You guys want me to post it up in this thread? I can shoot some pics. Or u want me to make a new one? It's my favorite thing I've done so far!

I'm thinking I should make a new one and post the link?

It would probly be better if you initiated a new thread....might make it easier to find it in the future.

Whichever way you choose, I'd like to see what you did!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Z06ster
Couldn't agree more. It's an unfortunate reality but so many of these cars were, made they do not hold their value at all... so go to town with it (e.g. mods).

On the other hand, if you keep it bone stock, garage it and never use it, in about 30 years it will probably be worth a lot of money.
Yes but not useing it for 30 years is a waste. Drive the wheels off
of your vette and enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I'm keeping my car bone stock because I think it will be worth a fortune some day.
I rented a 4,000 square foot warehouse to store all my stock parts so I can put my car back to stock.

Quick Reply: Keeping value