Sponsored by:

98 convertible traction control

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Pistol_PETE
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 convertible traction control

I have a 98 convertible with a pro charger,headers,bullet exhaust and runs on E-85. Tonight I was at a cruise night Mustang following me, he was getting on it a bit so I took off from a corner slow hit the gas at 15 or so car kicked hard left really fast( I have been driving this car for 8 years) let off the gas hit the brakes and counter steered but the car just went straight wiped out the nose cone and l f fender and the transformer. When I was stopped the steering wheel was cranked but the wheels were straight. Checked everything started the car and when the steering wheel was brought back to center the wheels turned with it. Drove the car home alignment is right. Steering wheel is straight If the traction control is turned off does this turn off the self centering steering and is there something that turns it off when you start the car. If the wheels had turned I wouldn't have gone over the curb. I don't want this to happen again. I assume it has some thing that stopped the wheels from turning.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Pistol_PETE
4th Gear

I guess what I wanted to know is there a product that automatically turns off the traction control when I start the car. I feel the traction control might have had something to do with the car not reacting the way I thought it would have when I was hitting the brakes. Maybe it was the abs?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Both ABS and traction control are designed for people that do not know how to handle a car. Those "features" are terrible for experienced performance drivers as they fight against you.

I dont know about the automatic turning off on start but just make a habit out of doing it manually. Also you do know about the COMPETITVE DRIVING mode right?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

The system is designed to turn on (not off) when you crank the car. You must push the button down and hold it to turn off traction control. If you have a 'service traction control' message is lighted on the dash after starting up, the system s disabled, as well as the ABS.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Pistol_PETE
4th Gear

I do have the traction control button but hardly ever drive the car so I never remember to turn it off and last night I was just cruised had no intention to get on it because of course there are lots of cops around. Don't know why the backend came around assume that I hit a dip in the road. I do not have the competitive driving mode in my car I don't think. All I know is when I hit the brakes the car went in the direction it was aimed instead of the front turning. I thought I read something about the car designed to make the car stop in a straight line when you are hard on the brakes I kind of made up my own name for it and not sure how it works I just want to turn it off automatically so it handles like cars did when I was a kid.lol I am fairly confident if I had just took my foot off the brake I would have saved it. Also at the point I would like to go with an aftermarket nose, projection lights maybe a different hood. Any ideas? My car is white.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Driving your car without traction control will almost insure you'll be in the market for a new nose.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Pistol_PETE
4th Gear

One thing I forgot to mention. Because the car has about 200 hp over stock and a lot more torque the car lites the tires before the traction control reacts.. I owned it when it was stock and I know how it is now if the traction control worked I would not have had it fry the tires. The tuner told me to make sure to turn it off every time I drove the car because its for a stock corvette and not designed to work with what I have.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 convertible traction control

Quick Reply: 98 convertible traction control