Sponsored by:

A/C, can you overcharge it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C, can you overcharge it!

My dual zone a/c is getting warm on the drivers side and from what I have read it needs a refill or topped off. Is it ok to just go to a auto store and get the proper freon and top it off until it gets cold again? I know little about HVAC but it seems that the small can of freon would not have enough pressure to overcharge the system if that is possible. I have done it to my daily beater and it worked fine. Any suggestions? I hate taking it to a repair shop and have people crawling in and out of it.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:58 AM
TOPCATHR
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem last year. Buy the unit that has the refrigerant and the guage built in, Follow instructions and you will know when its charged. AC overcharging can damage the system................
Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
I had the same problem last year. Buy the unit that has the refrigerant and the guage built in, Follow instructions and you will know when its charged. AC overcharging can damage the system................
Thanks, I will do that. Do you have to recall the lbs. when it is full? Seems I read it is full with only 1 pound of freon.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie wilkins
My dual zone a/c is getting warm on the drivers side and from what I have read it needs a refill or topped off. Is it ok to just go to a auto store and get the proper freon and top it off until it gets cold again? I know little about HVAC but it seems that the small can of freon would not have enough pressure to overcharge the system if that is possible. I have done it to my daily beater and it worked fine. Any suggestions? I hate taking it to a repair shop and have people crawling in and out of it.
If you're getting warm on the driver's side it's probably much more of a problem than just adding R134. Additionally, if you're having to add coolant you have a leak that needs to be repaired; the A/C system is a closed system and should not lose coolant.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM
TNX ZORA
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
...the A/C system is a closed system and should not lose coolant.
You mean refrigerant. This is how rumours get started.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM
NHolds
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have a problem with vent acuators if it's warmer on one side... not a charge problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by TNX ZORA
You mean refrigerant. This is how rumours get started.
Gimme a break....I'm working on about three hours of sleep. Coolant. Refrigerant. Whatever. The stuff that makes it blow cold; and I did specify R134 so quit the nit picking. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I was referring to.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 06-11-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

(1) Yes you can overcharge it.

(2) Have you even checked the codes on the DIC, see the HVAC codes then get back to us. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE CODES BEFORE CLEAR THEM!
http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

(3) It is a known problem that the Actuators will get out of sync and end up doing what you are experiencing
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tuators-2.html

(4) You can reset/clear the codes from the HVAC and see that it will cycle through the actuators, try this and see what happens.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

(1) Yes you can overcharge it.

(2) Have you even checked the codes on the DIC, see the HVAC codes then get back to us. MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE CODES BEFORE CLEAR THEM!
http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

(3) It is a known problem that the Actuators will get out of sync and end up doing what you are experiencing
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tuators-2.html

(4) You can reset/clear the codes from the HVAC and see that it will cycle through the actuators, try this and see what happens.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Thanks, I will check it out this weekend. However from what I read it is actually possible for the system to be low yet still blow cold on the passenger side of the car. Two guys got in a heated argument about it and it turned out from what I understood that yes it is possible with low refrigerant. I googled it and it think it a post on here from way back in 02 or something.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your low on 134, I think the AC button will also flash and/or not stay on.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ronnie wilkins
Thanks, I will check it out this weekend. However from what I read it is actually possible for the system to be low yet still blow cold on the passenger side of the car. Two guys got in a heated argument about it and it turned out from what I understood that yes it is possible with low refrigerant. I googled it and it think it a post on here from way back in 02 or something.
That would still indicate you have a leak that needs to be fixed before putting any more R134 in or you'll just have to keep adding more.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
_r2h
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you go dumping r134a in your system, get a set of manifold gauges and learn to use them.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _r2h
Before you go dumping r134a in your system, get a set of manifold gauges and learn to use them.
Best advise yet!
Overcharged AC systems will quickly destroy the compressor sending metal through out the system.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM
TNX ZORA
Racer

Gimme a break....I'm working on about three hours of sleep. Coolant. Refrigerant. Whatever. The stuff that makes it blow cold; and I did specify R134 so quit the nit picking. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I was referring to.
<<I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I was referring to.>>

"Everyone"? No way. Newbies learn from reading these forums.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by TNX ZORA
"Everyone"? No way. Newbies learn from reading these forums.
This would make sense if A/C wasn't a part of most of the cars manufactured today (anyone know if Cali still gets cars without A/C?). They're not Corvette-specific. Neither is the R134.

Get over it already Mr. A/C-Term-Police.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
TNX ZORA
Racer

This would make sense if A/C wasn't a part of most of the cars manufactured today (anyone know if Cali still gets cars without A/C?). They're not Corvette-specific. Neither is the R134.

Oh, I get it. In your mind, because a certain type of machine has existed for a long time it means youngsters who are learning about that machine will automatically be instilled with the correct terminology concerning that machine. Uh huh, yeah, that makes perfect sense. Ya know, this might even obsolete crystal ballz!

Get notified of new replies

To A/C, can you overcharge it!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

You really need a hobby.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is precisely why I rarely offer my technical advice. While 99% of the time I am correct, I grow weary of the google mechanics that nit pick everything, and spend their time pointing out silly issues. I notice nobody said anything about the OP calling it Freon?

BTW...The R134 in the cans can be bought with the sealant in them. If you have a small leak, it will likely seal it.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM
TNX ZORA
Racer

It's a cryin' shame when individuals prefer to revel in mistake rather than stand corrected.

Added:
You youngsters are free to consider the terms refrigerant and coolant as being synonymous. At least try to understand that the stuff you put in HVAC systems never used to be correctly referred to as coolant! Coolant always used to refer to the stuff that went into engine cooling systems. Man up - accept the fact that to old fartz like myself there is an important difference between coolant and refrigerant whether you prefer to recognize that difference or not.

Last edited by TNX ZORA; 06-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C, can you overcharge it!